• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Hush, Pa!
    Don't tip off the judges!

...Cotten
    PS: Which of the nuts in my last attachment have a real finish, and which are fake?
    My best guess...is all of them. Pa / Paps / Paul

Comment

I only saved one photo of the original cad finish of this trans top. Remind you....this part is nos right out of the mil spec packaging. Time still took it's toll on the cad palting. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        If a reproduction part is made the same as an original part it is a replacement. Using original plating and or paint. Would you buy a reproduction seat that was built on a fiberglass pan and covered with Naugahyde?
        I don't know why people are looking for something that resembles cadmium plating unless they are just too damn lazy to sent their parts out for the correct plating. My God people, UPS goes everywhere.
        That was mean Bro !!! I'm not lazy Chris. I am still thinking about having the top replated. I wanted to show everyone that copying the cad is really possible by this experiment. BUT !!!!! If I send the damn part out for plating, and it returns looking unoriginal....this coating will be my choice for it. Will it fool folks ? I'm bettin it will. Could I get docked for unoriginal looking cad plating ? That would really piss me off. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Would you buy a reproduction seat that was built on a fiberglass pan and covered with Naugahyde?
          I most certainly would not...! The Nauga is an endangered species on the verge of extinction.

Comment

I have a good cad plater here locally and would be glad to check on prices, etc. I have had work done in the past that was what I thought reasonable and quality work. If anyone is interested, send me a PM--Michael--6671

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
              (Which of the nuts in my last attachment have a real finish, and which are fake?)
              My best guess...is all of them. Pa / Paps / Paul
              PPP!

Only the nickel Schebler at the top left, and the Linkert at the bottom left are genuine.

The second and third from the right in the front row are both fresh Colonys, while the far right is fresh re-plate.
              Real cadmium maybe, but not the genuine article any more than the rest: Just as fake as paint.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
                I have a good cad plater here locally and would be glad to check on prices, etc. I have had work done in the past that was what I thought reasonable and quality work. If anyone is interested, send me a PM--Michael--6671
                Thanks Michael...I may just hit you up on it. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  PPP!

Only the nickel Schebler at the top left, and the Linkert at the bottom left are genuine.

The second and third from the right in the front row are both fresh Colonys, while the far right is fresh re-plate.
                  Real cadmium maybe, but not the genuine article any more than the rest: Just as fake as paint.

....Cotten
                  FOOLED ME ! What I've noticed, about oem cad plating, is how it differs a bit, on different metals. Kind of like parkerizing. BIG PPP

Comment

Dear All, in Europe it has been illegal to use cadmium outside the military and aerospace industries for the last few years. UK and Poland were I think the last countries to give it up. I'm trying to simulate cadmium on repro parts, and have tried zinc, flat nickel, silver paint and silver powder coat depending on the part.

On judging, we know how hard it is to get cadmium plating done, and in any case original cad seems to vary quite a bit. Glass beaded stainless spokes now go without penalty, and other parts are generally let go if they simulate the correct finish on restored bikes.

Comment

I have used Nassau Chrome in Mineola, Long Island for many many years. He does government-quality plating and still does 'white' cad. His work is excellent, but a little pricy.
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Why Fake it when you can have the REAL THING! Here is a batch I had done last week. If you need any help getting your stuff Cad Plated, and you can get it 110% Clean and then even Cleaner, email me and I will help you. Danny
                        http://laughingindian.com/
                        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                        A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

ok now you have to share with everyone, I'm in the process of restoring and need that info badly
                          Moose
                          aka Glenn

Comment

Plate it yourself

I have been investigating these products for my project. No experience of my own yet, but have read good things so far. http://www.caswellplating.com/

Comment

I haven't used him yet, but I've got a number of a cad that will do anything up to 200 Lbs for $195 (as Chris said, anything that will fit in the barrel).

One of our chapter members uses him, and it's real cad and looks great.

Comment

what chapter do you belong to?

Comment

Working...
                                X