Paint Methods for Indian Motorcycle Parts 1949-1953

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy sir,

All of the machines at my various websites - save 1, the 441 done with a Sata - were shot with a $49.00 gravity feed touch up gun providing good service over 30 years. Couple of things for an amateur such as myself shooting outdoors (the Red Rapide in my sig that went on to receive an Amelia Island display invite in 2012 from such humble beginnings) in high southern humidity: frequent in line filter changes to reduce water contamination and pressure at 28 - 32 PSI for better pattern control/less overwhelming volume/overspray. In my single car garage in cold weather, a box fan drawing through 5 heppa furnace filters taped up into a square.

Though large flat surfaces (Indian skirted fenders) can be a challenge, a touch up gives you way more pattern control/flow out on narrow/small/rounded surfaces than a full size automotive gun. Sadly, these days with onerous EPA regs, your biggest challenge will be convincing automotive finish retailers to sell you high VOC products as a non professional. Good luck, once mastered, a liberating and satisfying feeling.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Howdy Joe,

For the benefit of others who’ve grown weary of waiting months frustratingly for paintwork and might fancy having a go themselves I’m answering your pm here. Following the Taiwanese gun of similar dimensions, for the 441 restoration I stepped up to this, a Sata Minijet 4. Where it’s superior quality was most apparent was, in addition to better incremental adjustment accuracy was shooting larger flat panels (side skirts) where blended overlapping passes were easier to achieve. Additionally I found with quality paints (Glasurit), even when high solids, shot seemingly less viscous with better atomization and therefore less pressure required. The latter reducing duty cycling on my small compressor, less heat created and in higher humidity environments less water to be captured by that orange filter. Important as you have no indication it is becoming saturated until you start having the water equivalent of fish eyes. Also, the hard and durable (film thickness) achieved cannot be rivaled by any aerosol. Very apparent if you’re hauling machines across country secured by straps potentially abraiding frame rails and such.

Again, not knowing any better, my cheap gun worked great for decades as I refined my technique around its shortcomings, it’s just this Sata was a eye opener, falling under the heading you get what you pay for. Good luck. Had an 83 FXR back in the day lovely machine at link below

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Harley-Davidson

Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Today I tried to put the advice to test and there were some promising results. The boxes are still drying. I sanded the rough areas and runs with dry/wet 800 blending sand paper and the results look pretty good. For some reason this seems to a be a first coat issue and not a problem I see on second or additional coats after sanding.
        Thank all of you for the advice. One box already sold and a second will be on Ebay in a week or so. I'll post the photos then.

Best,
        -JR

Comment

Well, I think the sanding tips really helped. I just posted this one online for sale. Here are a few photos.
          The runs in the latch area and some grainy texturing on the sides were the only problems.
          Thanks to all of you.
          -JR
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 5 photos.
          Last edited by JTR249; 04-04-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X