No announcement yet.

1938 Hollywood green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a can of 38 hollywood green and several cans of 55 hollywood green they have different part #'s on the cans 1938 is 11602-38A and 1955 is 98600-AN. Here is a color comparison, obviously 38 Hollywood Green is on the left

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      This is the NOS package truck fender I have. I don't know what color it is, I always thought it was Hollywood Green but I am not sure. It is factory paint though..
      First shot full sun, second is shade, third is the underside.
      Robbie that looks a lot like 1952 Tropical Green

Comment

Robbie, your fender looks like Spring Green to me, but color is a subjective thing. I also think Spring Green was used before but with a different name.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Everyone should take the test: http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

One site said that as much as 20% of the population may view things differently than the rest, and males are affected more often than females.
          (And probably more 'sensitive' about it.)

....Cotten
          PS: Thanks Matt (and Eric)! I would have named them 'poisonous' or maybe "Kelly" green, and 'turquoise'..... until they dried anyway.
          Its a sure bet they smell like History!
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

And this brings up an interesting point; how much paint did H-D use to paint a pair of fenders, and a set of tanks. Considering how thin their applications were, I wonder if a 1/4 pint can would do it. I do all of my own painting, and I am often surprised how far a 1/2 cup on a gravity feed gun will go.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              And this brings up an interesting point; how much paint did H-D use to paint a pair of fenders, and a set of tanks. Considering how thin their applications were, I wonder if a 1/4 pint can would do it. I do all of my own painting, and I am often surprised how far a 1/2 cup on a gravity feed gun will go.
              Eric, I guess it would depend if the original HD paint was high solids or not.

Cotten, I took the color vision tests and got 8 out of 8 and 10 out of 10. Do I win anything?

Comment

I mentioned that because I will bet there was an efficiency expert, or more likely, and accountant that knew how much paint was used per motorcycle.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
                  ...Cotten, I took the color vision tests and got 8 out of 8 and 10 out of 10. Do I win anything?
                  Certainly Harleytoprock!

You win the right to choose your favorite "green"!
                  Mine is 'green with envy'.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Matt,
                    Those shots of the cans and part numbers helps a ton and it is obvious how much the colors are different. That to me is definitive proof of what they should be. Now my original question still is unanswered as to why HD called the two colors the same name when the are so different. They renamed differing shades of blues and reds etc. with new or different names why not these two greens? I also agree that Robbie's fender looks to me to be what is referred to as tropical green ( from a OP 52 I have seen) but the spring green I have not seen before so it could be either.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA #12766

Comment

Hi Chris, may I ask where you got this picture?

Comment

Originally posted by PopsPride View Post
                        Hi Chris, may I ask where you got this picture?
                        The man is the picture is a friend. The picture came from him through another friend.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I saw that 40 at Pierce H-D in Dekalb. I was visiting family in the Chicago area, and stopped to see Pierce's little museum on the way home to Colorado. Wayne Sr.
                          gave me a little tour of his collection of bikes and memorabilia. I told him I had worked at one area H-D dealers back in the 70s and 80s, and he told me he regularly beat the pants off my former employer back in the early 60s offroading on Sportsters. I don't remember him having anything special to say about the 40, though.
                          VPH-D

Comment

PICT6697.jpg

From Oley 2014, At the risk of siring the pot
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

That is a patina bike we did a few years back with original paint tanks, we were doing JWL's 38 at the same time and color matched the two, They were also 4 #s apart on the serial #s, both are on our website. I think that you can't go by a picture on a camera or a computer for a color match, as there are too many variables in shading, lighting, color pigments, etc. We have done a few 38 Hollywood green bikes and they all are close to John Deere green, not exact, but close.
                              Carl
                              http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

There are 4 John Deere green colors that I know of ! or was it 4 yellows?!!
                                Last edited by duffeycycles; 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X