No announcement yet.

1938 Hollywood green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Tom it is. But not when it is being presented as original.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, any ridden machine will have been serviced, and often repaired. During it's life, it generally has added accessories put on it, either at the dealership, by HD themselves, or by the owner. This is the norm for any used machine. Let us set a "precedent". An Original Paint machine means simply that it has paint on the painted parts that was applied at Harley Davidson when the parts on the machine where new. In no way does it imply that no alterations were ever made by anyone. Few machines left the factory in bone stock nothing altered as per the catalog trim in relation to the abundance of custom ordered machines (IE, even something like a Police radio or siren would have to be ordered and is therefor "extra" and not bone stock). Let us put this into perspective. I have, currently, 9 original paint Knucklehead's. Not counting all the other thousands of original paint machines I have owned. I have wrenched them apart, rebuilt them, torn them down to the ground and made them run again. You, with the knowledge you have, have never owned an original paint machine, have never rebuilt or restored anything, ever. The one bike you took to Dixon AMCA National telling them it was an original paint machine; was laughed out of judging because the old paint on it was so bad, essentially like a spray can job, and was a hodge podge of parts at best. For someone who has done so much for the hobby, essentially read and talk, your knowledge does not count, at least not to me. I did not ask for your "opinion" on this motorcycle. The post was entirely intended to show the real 1938 Hollywood Green the original poster requested, nothing more. Last, if you think manufacturers never run out of parts and use what is on hand, your showing your ignorance of the manufacturing process. HD, every other manufacturer did, then, now, and will into the future. How might a 1939 set of gears ended up in this 1940? it has a 1940 transmission case. So, either the customer ORDERED it, or HD put it in themselves as it was what they had. Either way, how, does not matter as much as it is there, it will remain there, it is MY bike, and not anyone else's.

Comment

Todd. You know not of what you speak. My Servi-car won a Junior First at Dixon that year. It can never earn a Senior First because of the mandatory 6 point deduction for having been repainted. I have had several original paint machines in the past. But they were no big deal in those days. Then if you had an OP bike you would immediately repaint it to make it look fresh. You seem to forget that I owned a custom shop in Santa Monica in the '70's. You were too young to know that. I built several bikes there. I have built several bikes at my home also. I have a couple bikes growing on the bench now. I will admit that I have not owned 10,000 motorcycles in my lifetime. I seriously doubt that anyone has.
        I will say that I have never met anyone better than fabricating a story than you.
        Be sure to visit;

Comment

It looks like the topic of green has pretty much been covered. Please don't take it somewhere else.
          Thanks
          Gary

Comment

Gary, don't pull the plug! There just warming up!
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I for one would like some explanation ,if there is one, on why the two colors are so vastly different and yet both are Hollywood Green. I asked about paint and paint shades at a judging seminary a couple of years back at Wauseon. The answer was if it looked close it was good to go. To me that is not an acceptable answer, especially for a restored, repainted bike. Venetian Blue seems to be another one that varies widely. Since this is a major deduction in judging I feel the correct paint color should be know and possibly have a chip on hand. I know there are subtle variations and sunlight, angle etc. can affect the appearance but not to the degree that I have seen on some. I know it is an inexact thing but if I am going to restore a bike and go have it judged I want to know it is the right color and if judged against other of the same color that mine is correct and deviations are not and that my bike receives the appropriate score. I know others will say much a do about nothing but with all the focus on the minutest of details getting one of the most major ones right would be my priority.
              JMHO.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Rollo!

A modern paint cannot reflect light exactly the same as a vintage formula anyway. The science of spectroscopy is based upon that.

And what if the judge you so dearly wish to please doesn't see the same number in the attached pic that you do?

AMCA judging is artificial. In the long run, you may be happiest to opt out, and please yourself.

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,

I have seen enough judging to know I don't want the brain damage that comes from it. I have some nice bikes but nothing that would qualify for judging anyway. I prefer to ride and enjoy them. Nothing against those that want to go through the time, effort and money to get them correct. What I do expect is that if I'm looking at a high points bike that it is in fact correct and is an example of how it left the factory. Frankly after looking at tons of pic post here and on other sites it seems almost none were left completely stock and original. Most seem to have some sort of "custom" additions. I prefer the as ridden or raced look but the is just my opinion. Too shiny isn't my thing but to each his own.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA #12766

Comment

another original paint example

Tom, if you don't like the sample I provided, contact Jay Hart, he has access to an original paint 1938 rear fender in Hollywood Green. 615 779 6140. He is also one, if not THE, best metal men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting AND he is REASONABLE. In the era before the war, HD got their paint from Dupont. You could get that years paint, any years prior to paint color, or any color Dupont offered, in Enamel or Lacquer. Additionally, HD would paint any desired graphic scheme on your bike or parts thereof, to yoir specific design, see attached special instructions in the order form and send them specific details of size and shape. Even more interesting, if you changed your mind, prior to shipping, HD would take the bike apart, repaint it, and simply charge you more money. I have the factory invoices on the youtube, hunting harleys, to show just this. One cannot argue with factory documentation. You cannot use modern paint with clear and get the same refraction and look. Judges seem to overlook this, usually. HOWEVER, you can order old paints and find those with skill to use them if you look hard enough.

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                    Tom,

I have seen enough judging to know I don't want the brain damage that comes from it. I have some nice bikes but nothing that would qualify for judging anyway. I prefer to ride and enjoy them. Nothing against those that want to go through the time, effort and money to get them correct. What I do expect is that if I'm looking at a high points bike that it is in fact correct and is an example of how it left the factory. Frankly after looking at tons of pic post here and on other sites it seems almost none were left completely stock and original. Most seem to have some sort of "custom" additions. I prefer the as ridden or raced look but the is just my opinion. Too shiny isn't my thing but to each his own.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA #12766

Comment

Once again. Here is an original Paint, low mileage, Hollywood Green bike that was always garaged.

Be sure to visit;

Comment

Paint fades, you cannot use faded paint stored in bad conditions to re paint like new a restored machine and have a correct color paint. Paint also fades VERY differently to VERY different shades under different conditions. Someone who says they have the knowledge you profess to have Chris "should" know this. It is elementary dear Watson.

Comment

oh wait, how silly of me. It takes real life experience with real original paint machines, and more then one or two of them, to fully understand the variances of paint fade, especially with old lacquer and enamel paints. I'm sorry Chris, your forgiven, as we all know, you don't have that type of experience. But I do.

Comment

Here is another example of a non faded 1938 Hollywood Green, on, imagine this, a 1938 fender, and, imagine this, it is the same color as Greenie https://www.flickr.com/photos/341507...7649936627250/

Comment

I don't study paint, Folks,...

But I suspect that if Chris's example was rubbed down with mayonaisse before a hot coat of Johnson's Wax, it would be hard to tell from Todd's in photos.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

This is the NOS package truck fender I have. I don't know what color it is, I always thought it was Hollywood Green but I am not sure. It is factory paint though..
                                First shot full sun, second is shade, third is the underside.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                                X