Harley 1945 Tank Badge Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley 1945 Tank Badge Color

Seems the main badge color was black or white for 1945. Anyone know the reason for this and which models were painted white and which were black?

Highlander

The badges were painted because Chrome was not available during the war. The badge color was not specific to models, just preference if stated, otherwise whatever they had on hand. The white as you call it was actually a light grey and they also came in blue.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As I understand, the light gray and black were offered for 1945 and the blue was added for 1946, please correct if mistated . So, what ever the preferance was,on the order was what was placed on the bike at the time of assembly? Hey Joe, get me some black tank badges. (Joe) All we got are gray ones. Ok, let's putum on, we gotta get on to the next one!

Highlander #546

Comment

A good question. There doesn't seem to be a place on any Order Form I have seen to select badge color. Maybe they all came with grey, and the other colors were in an accessory catalog. Period pictures seem to show only grey badges. Perhaps a Knuckle nut would shed some light on this subject...
        VPH-D

Comment

I am standing at the crossroad of making this choice and would like to get on the bus...gus! Surely there is a knuckle nut out there which can enlighten some of us who are standing in the shadows of darkness?!?

Highlander :{>

Comment

The 1945 parts book lists all three colors, and all have '44 part numbers. It was issued in June '45. The Accessory parts lists do not cover tank badges so the '45 accessory list is no help. I looked through all the '44 and '45 Motorcyclist magazine and not a single picture is in there on them. The Enthusiast is no different. So unless an original paint version with known provenance appears I have no more info. Sorry!
            PS, I used black ones on my '44UL.
            Robbie
            Last edited by Rubone; 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, thanks for your input. Sounds as though you have exhausted all sources avaliable to you reguarding my question. If no other info arises, I have made the choice to use, as you, black on my '45FL. This being a personal preference as a contrast for the "Civil Defense Gray" sheet metal.

Mike

Comment

This is from the Oct-Nov 1945 Enthusiast. Just to add to the confusion. Most of the pics of '44 models have chrome emblems on them. But again, I find nothing to show that a specific color was used on certain models.
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is a factory photo of a 1945.

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-18-2012, 11:11 PM.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Great pics Chris! This one clearly shows the light gray badges installed. Thanks for providing!

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. See what I mean about period photos showing the grey badges ?
                      VPH-D

Comment

Here is one I just found on eBay.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Another great period photo depicting the light gray badges! Seems as VPH-D stated, all his finds were the light gray too! Thanks again Chris.

Comment

Highlander, I am restoring a 1945 UL and as you probably already heard the reason for all the black was the lack of chrome during the war, to add to this it was the end of the war and not only was chrome not available ( this goes as far as even the bezel on the speedometers were painted black for the later part of 44 and the whole year of 45 and the beginning of 46) But there was also no stainless aluminum and rubber. That's why the footboards had metal footpads instead of rubber. And although that picture shows what looks like a white Knuckle, I believe this was for the police only because they offered only one color that year and it was grey. I have been told that it was more of a battleship grey from the military. I'm not even sure if that chrome trim on the gas tank was correct for civilian models. If you see a 1945 with chrome trim it was add in the following years.
                            Last edited by Sidehacker; 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Highlander, I don't know if you have run into this problem because you have an OHV and I have a flathead but when I'm trying to explain anything about the bike, I'll first say a 1945 flathead because if I say a 45 flathead everyone thinks I'm talking about a 45 W model not a 45 U model . After this happens about a hundred times you get really careful in the words you choose to describe what your talking about .

Comment

Working...
                              X