No announcement yet.

Bringing the 65 FLH back to Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might want to rotate those fork caps before you get it all together. Looking good
    Last edited by 55tmm; 02-28-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

When I bought the bike it had been repainted this color. Gas tanks were a combo of this purple with silver striping. First thing I did was rattle can black fenders and tanks. Stayed that way for 30 years.

Fenders taken down to metal. Front had one dent in it..

Tail light housing

Licens plate holder

Front fender emblems that I added sometime in the 70s or 80s? Bike did not have them. Holes were in the front fenders but no emblems. I haven't a clue what the numbers on the back mean. If someone does know please chime in. It is one more non-65 part. It is my understanding that the "circle R" script at the edge of the "e" was not used on 65 models. That said even after all these years they cleaned up nicely.

The lower front fender trim....a non-stock piece I added in the 70s because I liked the way it looked. Has the "FOX' markings etched in it (My gas tank emblems have the same etching)

The markings on the rear fender tip. Heck I thought "ACME" products were strictly a Coyote-Roadrunnder thing. Sherms also chromes pot metal (only place around me that does it). They also got my turn signal light housings as well.

The original front fender tip I lost on a road trip to Vegas in the mid 90s. Popped of coming out of Bakersfield on HWY 58. Never went back to retrieve it (should have). The aftermarket fits but not like the original.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-01-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Front fender with trim pieces and front bumper. The stainless side trim pieces are original and cleaned up nicely with 2000 grit sand paper and Mothers polish

Front fender tip

Comment

looks great!
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I'm surprised, Panz4ever,...

You didn't file the © off of the ElectraGlide emblems.

(I always did.)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Good thread, great pictures and detail, keep it coming.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                I'm surprised, Panz4ever,...

You didn't file the © off of the ElectraGlide emblems.

(I always did.)

....Cotten
                Seriously considered it. But the bike will never be judged so I left them as they were.

Comment

Originally posted by panz4ever View Post

Seriously considered it. But the bike will never be judged so I left them as they were.
                  Judging was the farthest thing from my mind at the time, Panz4ever!

I just wanted all of mine to match.

(Buffed the spot, and put clear nail polish on it.)

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-04-2021, 04:41 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I assembled the fender rails, luggage rack frame and saddle bag support brackets as a single unit to each side since it was just me working on the bike. Seemed like the easiet wayt to ensure I wouldn' screw up paint, cad or chrome. Once I got each side on, I installed the 3-pice rails and tightened everything. Worked out well

Lookout lens

1965-1969 plastice RH-55 tail lamp lens

Rear turn signal parts

before rechroming

Finished assembly

Not sure what everyone uses and/or recommends regarding cleaning and polishing the plastic lenses. I have had very good results withe Novus Plastic Clean and Shine. Not affiliated in anyway withe the company. Just though that considering the age of the plastic lenses and the hard use and neglect over the life of the bike, Novus worked very well for me.

Comment

I'd been running Shovel style rear shocks ever since my right rear developed an oil leak. When I started thinking about this rebuild I set out to try and find someone who could rebuild the sealed unit. Having failed in that venture I spent the next couple of years looking for original ones that did not leak. Found a pair at Dixon AMCA swap meet (so now I have one spare).

The Easyrider Tech Tip Disassmebly Tool

One part now becomes many & out for chrome and cad plating

Ready for reassembly & going back together

Back on the bike

Comment

Looks like I will be following in your foot steps.
                        I have a '65 as well and just got the powder coat burned off of it, had it blasted, then had the frame checked for alignment.
                        Now comes the time to start putting things back together, which will take some time.
                        I have found it take more research time than wrench time.

Comment

Some day we should organize and 1965 only run somewhere. My original paint 9,000+ mile ride.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by KNUCK; 07-25-2022, 06:19 PM.
                          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Original miles on the clock.
                            Attached Files
                            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

I wonder what became of this project? Nothing since early last year.

A ride for ‘65 owners, I’m in! :-)

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X