Bringing the 65 FLH back to Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing the 65 FLH back to Life

Had my 65 since October of 1970. Bought it off a strawberry farmer a couple hours south of me. Used it as the long haul bike (everything east of the Rockies). Used a chopped 52 Pan and and a chopped 72 Sporty for everything west. Finally shut the bike down in 2000 because it was a very tired machine at almost 120K on the clock.

The 52

The 72

Before putting the 65 to bed I found an original 1-owner 84 FLH out of Flint, MI that became the primary long distance bike.

In 2019 I figured it was finally time to revive the 65. Almost completely apart.

Motor completely apart. Has matching belly numbers

Frame markings

​​​​​​​

Comment

Very nice, thank you for sharing. Love my 65. They are great bikes.

Comment

Swing arm

Comment

Wheels

Spokes are Buchannan. No, not correct (should be cad finish), but at age 74 I am done messing with cad plated spokes. These are not the only parts that are not correct, but the build is not for the AMCA judges, it is for me and those who might enjoy a bit of history.

All chroming done by Sherms out of Sacramento (not cheap but they do really nice work). Have a gunsmith up near Redding, California that does my parkerizing services. Van Nuys Plating out of Van Nuys CA does my cad plating. (Shocks were temporary while I was rebuilding my originals.)

Paint is by Renteria Brothers out of Morgan Hill CA. These guys have been in the paint business a very very long time. They do old & new vehicles and they do motorcycles as well. Very meticulous about their work.
          Last edited by panz4ever; 02-21-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Heads and Cylinders

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-21-2021, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the looks Panz4ever. Should be ready to Rock N' Roll for another 120K+.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

nice! great job
                AMCA #41287
                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Looking forward to the resurrection. Your detailed photos should really help others.

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

While taking everything apart, i took pics, lots of pice, so that onece assembled I would have a visual of where everything went. Made sure to mark it up as well.

Oil pump

Comment

Frame repainted with new bearings and cad plated cups and rechromed fender rails.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-22-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Putting on an adjustable front end

I sent my lowers back to Bill's Custom Cycles (PA) for a rebuild (new bushings, upper and lower). The original hadn't leaked but I figured why chance it since I had it torn down completely. They do great work and havce a very good turnaround time.

The gap closes up and the pieces are almost flush with one another. Pic is just before sliding onto place.

Forks and tubes reassembled with fluid added. Adding the fork oil is majorly slow and was lieterally drip-by-drip.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

You will have a new bike when you are done. I love my 65 Pan
                          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Great detail pictures. Keep it up. Thank you.
                            Dave

Comment

Great pictures and detail! Looking forward to more of the rebuild.
                              Craig (Delaware)
                              Delaware Bay Chapter
                              Perkiomen Chapter
                              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
                              X