1965 XLCH sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 XLCH sportster

At the end 2018 I found this bike on Craigs list he wanted 1200.00 talked hem down to 950.00 rolling chassis no tank and seat, motor sitting out of the frame in the rain and mud with no front lifter tube/cover motor was stuck and came with a butter cup of nuts and blots and the horseshoe tank completed end of 2019, I have been riding all year motor sounds good, 2020 has been a good year for riding not much else.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by silver65; 12-22-2020, 08:41 AM. Reason: added picture

Very nice !

Comment

This is what I found when I cracked it open could have been worse pistons weren't stuck the oil was dryed out and cams stuck some pitting on cam lobes filter screen when touched turned to powder but overall not that bad. ( will post more later on restoration )

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Looking Good Silver. I'd like to see the Restoration process also. You're right about 2020, a Very weird year, but Yes--riding was awesome!

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 10-30-2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Bike looks great! Is that spare gas on your shock? What type of straps are you using for attachment? Thanks.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Yes spare gas 32 oz. online lowbrow customs with carrier, strap is nylon with velcro. Those 2.2 gal tanks seam to go quick so I got extra fuel if I wandered to far away also added AAA motorcycle this year. Bottom of Oem shock cover is flared so it doesn't slide off.

Comment

Good looking bike and nice restoration.
              Craig (Delaware)
              Delaware Bay Chapter
              Perkiomen Chapter
              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I think I should diagnose my self with OCD due to the fact that I consider this project work in progress I still have to refinish the oem primary cover and change out the rocker boxes to correct year and after the respoke of both front and rear wheels with buchanan's stainless steel spokes and removed the B on every tip and polished to find out that I should have bead blasted them if I wanted to have the bike judged at one of the meets with no points deducted and the fact that the frame is I 2 sept. of 62 frame and titled with a 65 motor and front brake hub is wrong although I do have the correct brake hub what I have heard people call the hamburger hub then of corse there is the hardware. I wonder should I restamp the frame to something like J 4 or B 5 ?
                Last edited by silver65; 12-21-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

That is a very nice bike. I like the creative extra fuel.

If you are interested in judging, I'd suggest you first join the old k model and sportster research group forum and peruse the technical section.

Then, get in touch with Don D. (Chief Judge) and Dave Carlton (judge for sportsters) for more information.

There are also others here with a deep love of correctly restored sportsters, such as Magneto Sportster. He and another AMCA member run an excellent Facebook forum dedicated to restoring and enjoying original sportsters and k models.

All of these guys can best advise you on next steps if you're serious about judging.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful motorcycle! Very nice work.

Comment

Thanks work in progress

Comment

Very Nice bike You do Good Work!

Comment

This is the rolling chassis after back yard mechanical work cleaned up frame, wheels and rims and ordered new stainless spokes from Buchanan,s (Not the best environment Hot in Florida) IMG_1020.JPGIMG_1023.JPGIMG_1024.JPG

Comment

IMG_1046.JPGIMG_1047.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1049.JPGIMG_1045.JPG Motor case was was in good condition no cracks or striped out case primary or cam cover holes cleaned up nice and after replacing all bearings sealed case with triple bond. Transmission was within tolerance per manual did have to change pawl springs one was broke in half.

Comment

Working...
                            X