Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1922 Indian Footboard/brake pedal bracket

To All,
    Purchased this bike and sidecar two weeks ago from the nephew of the original owner. Call it a garage find.

IMG_8397.jpgIMG_1597.jpg

At the present time I guess you could say I'm more like a curator of this bike rather than a restorer. So many, and I agree, say don't disturb it's almost one hundred year old patina. However, a few parts were removed and never reinstalled. One could only guess why. I have reinstalled many of them all in original condition with original nuts and bolts. One part has me scratching my head.

bracket 2.JPGBracket.jpg

I know it's for the rear hinge points of the foot boards as well as the pivot point for the brake pedal.

The bracket appears to straddle the frame just below the engine. I am becoming more and more convinced that I have to raise the engine from the frame to sneak the bracket between. If so, it tells me the engine was removed at some point as well as the foot boards and when reinstalled someone forgot to install the bracket first. If anyone has first hand experience please share. Would hate to proceed if there is another way.

Originally posted by Dr.John1922 View Post
    I know it's for the rear hinge points of the foot boards as well as the pivot point for the brake pedal.

The bracket appears to straddle the frame just below the engine.
    This is just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance the bracket goes the other way instead of under the motor? Extending towards the sidecar?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Harry,

I wish it did. Three things regrettably tell me where it goes. 1. After bolting in the front mounting points of the footboards to the front location, the rear radius of the mounting area is defined. 2. As well, after connecting the brake pedal with the brake rod to the rear mounting point on the bracket, it further confirms the location. 3. My sketch showing the frame clamp concept does not show the pitch of the interior surface which takes into account the need for the bracket to be perfectly horizontal while compensating for the slight angle of the bottom frame rail. I'm nervously anticipating that I'm going to have to raise the engine about 1" from the frame to sneak the bracket over. At present the gap between engine and rail is less than 1/2". It's not enough.

Thank You for your thoughts,

John

Comment

John, on this bike the bracket appears more like it's in front of the motor.

Comment

Um, never mind, I see the pedal is mounted at the rear of the footboard!

Comment

Harry, Yes I'm referring to that rear location.1922 LH_1.jpg The bracket I earlier pictured straddles the frame rail beneath the engine at that location. I was hoping there was a larger void forward of the location where I could get the bracket inserted and then slide it to the spot. " Ain't Happenin" Thank You for the picture. It serves as another means for reference.

John

Comment

The bracket goes on top of the frame on my 1918. It looks to me that if the 2 rear mounting bolts were removed from the frame the engine could pivot up enough to slip the bracket in.
              Tom

Comment

Tom,

Yes. If I didn't describe it properly I apologise. The bracket needs to be on TOP of the rail and BELOW the engine. I'll try your suggestion and hope for positive results.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Tom,
                  Finally had the time and an extra pair of hands (my Father) and got the foot pad bracket in. After removing the chain, oil tank and lines, gas lines , etc. I removed all of the engine through frame bolt rods but for one of the rear ones. I just loosened that remaining bolt/rod and with the use of a jack was able to tip the engine up enough to get the bracket in. As a result the brake pedal and rods are properly installed once again. The re-installation of long removed parts is coming along nicely.

Thank You for the advice,

John

Comment

'22 Standard's status

The bike has come a long way since purchased. It's been like making a jigsaw puzzle; finding removed parts, learning by comparing to reference photos many of you have provided, as well as applying basic mechanical logic for the moment the bell goes off in your head and you say " Ah Ha !!! That's where it goes !! " Pretty soon the moment I've been waiting to learn: Does it run ?
                    Img_1607.jpg

Comment

Since my last update little has been done to the bike. Work, Family, Easter visit with in laws in Mass. to name a few priorities. What I failed to mention is there is spark!! The elbow fitting from the oil tank to the crankcase needs to be reattached by solder or brazing, so other than adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the top via the spark plug openings and slow turning of the crank I'm not ready to kick it over intentionally. However, When re-installing the kick pedal after finishing the installation of the footboard bracket I must have 'kicked' it just enough for my father ( on the other side of the bike ) to say " I got shocked ! '. To confirm Dad held the spark plug wires while I gently cranked and we saw spark jump between wire and ground for both cylinders. Soon, hopefully, oil and gas and we'll see.

Comment

I was curious if you would snap an picture of your taillight on your bike. I'm trying to get the correct style lens for mine .Thank you

Comment

Oile,

Hope these help
                          tail light 2.jpg
                          tail lignht 1.jpg

I'm thinking one of two things here. Either this is the wrong light for this bike or the licence plate bracket is wrong and there was one that was mounted above the light. Maybe you can help me in this regard.

John
                          Last edited by Dr.John1922; 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Tag bracket

Originally posted by Dr.John1922 View Post
                            Oile,

Hope these help
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24473[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24474[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking one of two things here. Either this is the wrong light for this bike or the licence plate bracket is wrong and there was one that was mounted above the light. Maybe you can help me in this regard.

John
                            Sent you an pm.

Comment

That looks to me to be an acetylene tail lamp and not an electric one.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X