No announcement yet.

38 Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Greer Engineering catalog calls for a gasket between the float bowl & tin plate on the Schebler. I put that gasket in and notice no leaks. The missing gasket probably didn't have anything to do with the backfire. I am starting a new engine and the carb has not been "trimmed out" yet. The paint that was on the float bowl is toast. I have since removed it and it is currently bare metal. Any suggestions on what to finish it with, Cotton? The tank is nothing but primer at the moment so that isn't any great loss. The plan is to run it around the balance of the summer to flesh out any problems and the tear it down for paint this fall. Thanks for the info on the low speed needle. It seems to work fine for now but is the sort of thing I can be on the lookout for. Is there something I should look for to identify it as a 38?

Comment

Bill!

I wish I could remember who linked me to https://sigmfg.com/collections/cover...ints-and-dopes, and thank him again, as it is the only 'black' that has survived my P4gas immersion tests. Beware carb cleaner takes it right off, however.

If everything, including the manifold, is in order, you should be able to start and warm up with the HS needle at 1½" turns out, and the LS at 3½ turns.
      When the LS has been tuned to its quickest idle, and trimmed back down at the throttle lever, then the HS can be tickled at speeds over 30mph.
      Then repeat until perfect.

The '40 LS needle should be identical to earlier years (far left in attachment), other than it has a dowel retaining the spring and needle instead of a sensible screw.
      If the spring is firm, and the point dresses out clean, don't worry about it.

....Cotten
      PS: I hate paint
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-17-2018, 09:50 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

This should be the last post until I get some paint on this bike. I got it tagged & insured and took it out this morning for a 25 mile break in ride. It ran flawlessly and handles like a dream.

Comment

Comment

Absolutely stunning Bill. What a great build you have done. Congrats.
            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
              Absolutely stunning Bill. What a great build you have done. Congrats.
              Yes! It even looks cool in primer!

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
                This should be the last post until I get some paint on this bike. I got it tagged & insured and took it out this morning for a 25 mile break in ride. It ran flawlessly and handles like a dream.

Those '38 Chief fenders are just plain sexy.

Nice bike.

Kevin

Kevin
                https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                  Nice bike.
                  Yes indeed! Really nice Bill.
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Bill, I get green with envy every time you post pictures of your gorgeous Chief. Glad it ran well for you. Looking forward to seeing it finished out, but you know we're all going to hate you after you paint it and make it more beautiful
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

It's a true pleasure seeing this motorcycle move toward completion.
                      You're going to have many happy miles!!!
                      Jack

Comment

Tearing it all back apart for paint.

Comment

Tinwork sandblasted and frame and parts powdercoated.

Comment

A little primer & prepaint.

Comment

How about a solid gold Chief?

Comment

This guy is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X