No announcement yet.

Transmission identy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My panhead engine is a1959 I am planning on installing it in a Ridgid frame this tranny came with the motor. Just hoping it Will work for bike if not I will find another transmission Thanks for all the help

Comment

If it's your intention to apply electric start to an original HD Panhead crankcase assembly with a cast aluminum inner primary, then there are many things to be aware of.

I've personally corrected other people's attempts at this in OEM rigid frames as well. There's a lot going on and way to much to type out here on a cell phone. I'll list a few to try and help out.
      The following is a list of items changed over the years that are often over looked, especially if people buy them used because they look very similar but are not...
      Only one version of aluminum inner primary is going to work with electric start and a Panhead with specific OEM crankcases.
      The following items listed have multiple changes:
      Gear reduction starter housing, the starter shaft , the starter bendix arm, the starter bendix collar, the electric start versions of clutch baskets, the transmission main shafts, the pushrod, the compensator assemblies, sprocket shaft spacers and the sprocket shafts...
      It can be done, it's just research to get the correct parts working together and safe.
      Hope this helps,
      Duke
      Last edited by dukekleman; 02-02-2024, 07:06 AM.

Comment

IDFLY,

You'll need to change your mainshaft on that transmission you have OR use a transmission from 1965 to 1969.

If you choose to change out the mainshaft in your current transmission, purchase one for the year group 65-69'. I'd recommend Andrews products brand.

Be sure to stick to components from this era on all others things related...inner and outer primary covers, all starter components, clutch shell and compensator/spacers. There will be some very minor clearance requirements , custom horse oil tank and of course wiring.

It'll be nice in the end with all the correct stuff!
        Hope this helps,
        Duke

Comment

This is not the bike I was referring to in my earlier post regarding correcting other work.
          However, it's an example of a bike I blended 1959 and 1980 for a guy. There are a few reasons this was done. Personal reasons to him, we'll leave it at that. Electric start and hydraulic brakes were some of the things very important to him.

However, you can nicely blend things together. Sometimes it takes custom fabrication of parts to replicate a look, which there are many on this bike that I hand made.

It uses a 1980 transmission and a custom fabricated horse shoe oil tank to clearance the starting system. Then hand made oil lines with OEM fittings adapted to the old oil filter design.

Comment

dukekleman, if adapting one of the 65–69 inner primary covers to a 59 crankcase does this outer ring need to be removed or is a spacer made to fill the recess in the crankcase? (I’ve seen some cases with this outer ring removed but I’ve also heard of a spacer being made.) Thanks.
            Eric

Comment

Clearance would be required. Through methods mentioned.
              Offset and alignment compensation taken into consideration.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              Last edited by dukekleman; 02-03-2024, 11:06 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Speeding Big Twin;n321516][FONT=Arial]dukekleman, if adapting one of the 65–69 inner primary covers to a 59 crankcase does this outer ring need to be removed or is a spacer made to fill the recess in the crankcase? (I’ve seen some cases with this outer ring removed but I’ve also heard of a spacer being made.) Thanks.
                Eric

I think that the flat part of the case will need to be shimmed on the early case. If I remember right the 2 mounting surfaces are not on the same plane between the 55 to 64 and the 65 to 69.

Jerry

Comment

The problem is the electric start mainshaft is longer. This will cause a great misalignment of the primary chain.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

dukekleman and Jerry, thanks for your replies.
                    Eric

Comment

There are starter shaft length variations, transmission main shaft length variations, clutch pushrod length variations, and many, many more items as I mentioned early on in this post.
                      ​​​​​​ All must be researched and chosen correctly to insure proper and accurate chain aligned. There's a photo above that I posted showing the tooling I use to assure the most accurate alignment I know possible.

Hope this helps, Duke
                      Last edited by dukekleman; 02-05-2024, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I really appreciate all the input I went to the swapmeet in Lebanon tennessee last weekend and purchased a 65-69 inner and outer primary cover once again thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

About 10 years ago a friend wanted to adapt a '65-'69 style inner primary to his '56FLH. To clear the engine case lip I outside (circle) milled the back side of the primary so it seated on the same mounting surface as the original primary would do. He was also going to install a longer engine sprocket shaft to align with the longer trans shaft of the early electric start style trans case. He has passed and never completed the changeover, so I do not know if the alignment was correct (parallel) between the two mounting surfaces. Boy, I hated altering that inner primary at the time. But as I get older I may one day have to do the same.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

There are reasons for the right side Estart.
                            Chain alignment is not super critical for most street bikes.
                            I have posted how I check it with a piece of 1/4" plywood edge cover [aluminum channel & a dental mirror.] slipped over the sprocket teeth.
                            I worked on a 2009 with Baker upgrades.The chain alignment was out by over 1/8" inch.
                            I talked to the design tech at Baker.He said OEM Twinkies had alignment over 3/16" out.
                            I didn't believe him until I started to look at later totally stock Twinkies & found he was correct.
                            Maybe a difference in compensator design.
                            I try to get them within .015" & that may be closer than most.

Comment

Duffey,
                              I agree, I measure all electric start HD's often including the M8's. Some of them are very good while some are terrible.
                              Most the variation seen, from the same model groups, I've traced to the stack up of the compensator assembly.
                              I have seen a few other components causing a slight stack in variation but mainly the compensator parts.

I do exactly as you mentioned a maximum of 0.015" misalignment allowed. I do this because of the chains design. I can typically get them less than 0.010".
                              It does make chain life increase obviously but also the clutch works properly and audible noise is diminished.

Comment

If you have a 54-64 Panhead you can install the longer 65 sprocket shaft to line up to a 65-69 transmission.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X