Reverse Counter Shaft Cluster Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Counter Shaft Cluster Gear

Looking for the a source for the 35703-39 Countershaft Cluster Gear.
    This is the gear used in a 3 Speed-Reverse Gearbox
    V-Twin lists it as 17-1520 but it is currently backordered.
    Did not see it available via Eastern either.
    Is anyone else manufacturing this gear?
    All help is much appreciated

As far as I know,none of the special 3spd & 3+R gears are reproduced.
    I would be leery of any gear made by VTwin

Comment

V-twin does have the Mainshaft Cluster available and in stock.
      Obviously they're sourced off shore somewhere.
      Hopefully Taiwan and not India.
      I'm a little surprised Eastern doesn't make them There's got to be some demand for them.
      Thanks for the reply Roger.

Comment

I buy most of my 3&R parts off eBay. I have found NOS parts in many instances.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have an extra original mainshaft cluster & 3 countershaft shift fork assy.

Comment

Yes, Ebay, that's usually my first move. Actually a google search of the part number generally turns up what is available.
            There is one listed currently as 35703-69 on Ebay but I believe the gear is the same. Its got the later speedometer drive gear on it.
            I communicated with the seller and its got a lot of surface rust on it. And the bearing surfaces are NG.
            I've even tried looking for a 35701-76 version with the Torrington B1212 type bearings.in place of the loose .125" bearings because I think otherwiae its the same configuration.
            Anybody know for sure about that?
            Thanks for the offer Roger. This gearbox was a 3 Speed w/Reverse already. We're still hoping to go with new parts if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney View Post
              Yes, Ebay, that's usually my first move. Actually a google search of the part number generally turns up what is available.
              There is one listed currently as 35703-69 on Ebay but I believe the gear is the same. Its got the later speedometer drive gear on it.
              I communicated with the seller and its got a lot of surface rust on it. And the bearing surfaces are NG.
              I've even tried looking for a 35701-76 version with the Torrington B1212 type bearings.in place of the loose .125" bearings because I think otherwiae its the same configuration.
              Anybody know for sure about that?
              Thanks for the offer Roger. This gearbox was a 3 Speed w/Reverse already. We're still hoping to go with new parts if possible.

With a minor degree of work all 1936 and up 3&R cluster gears will work in a newer application. The late clusters did remove the external snapring groove that is needed in the 36 to 38 reverse gear sets however.

Jerry

Comment

Following up on this. No luck locatiing the 35703-39 Cluster Gear yet.
                V-Twin is still showng it back ordered.
                I was also in need of a Mainshaft 35286-39 Mainshaft Low & Reverse gear. I ordered V-Twins mainshaft Low/Reverse gear #17-9888.
                No mention on their site that it's actually a HD part
                Received this.Not sure about that recess on inboard side on the gear

20231010_082026.jpg 20231010_081957.jpg 20231010_081946.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney View Post
                  Following up on this. No luck locatiing the 35703-39 Cluster Gear yet.
                  V-Twin is still showng it back ordered.
                  I was also in need of a Mainshaft 35286-39 Mainshaft Low & Reverse gear. I ordered V-Twins mainshaft Low/Reverse gear #17-9888.
                  No mention on their site that it's actually a HD part
                  Received this.Not sure about that recess on inboard side on the gear

20231010_082026.jpg 20231010_081957.jpg 20231010_081946.jpg
                  In order to run that gear you must use the appropriate -70 mainshaft second gear as well. It has an extended center and no bronze bushing similar in design to the -59 3rd gear but with the proper tooth count for 3&R..
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie much appreciated.
                    Looks like that gear is 35072-70. Another one made out of unobtanium it would appear.
                    The earlier version of that gear is 35293-36 if anyone is following along.
                    V-Twin #17-9961, also Back Ordered.
                    This thing is turning into quite the rabbit hole.

Comment

Working...
                    X