VL transmission main shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL transmission main shaft

Looking to find a 7/8 x 18 left hand Die to chase threads on the transmission clutch side Main-shaft. Thought maybe there’s a OEM one out there. Thanks

Dear Ray, my tool and die company used to have them but is now out of stock. They estimate $500 and 6-8 weeks to manufacture a one-off, so there is a sighting shot for you.

Comment

Thanks Steve. Found a company that will make one for $350. 4-6 weeks. Hopefully we’ll cross paths at Oley. I’ll have another one of my 4speed JD Transmissions on display

Comment

why not use a thread file if you only need to chase them? I've saved numerous bad threads this way as well as working a nut loaded with valve lapping compound back & forth to clean up tight fitting threads.

Comment

I have also used a nut to chase the threads. But used a file to cut 3 grooves into the threads of it to give any chips or residue a place to exit rather than backing up in the threads.
          Jim D

Comment

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

It seems to be a bit more difficult (for me anyway) to work on (clean up) LEFT hand threads, over the much more common right. Have to keep reminding the effort to work backwards of normal if that makes any sense. Good Luck in your die search Ray. ...Smitty ......Maybe if I was left-handed.................
              Last edited by HDSmitty; 03-10-2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X