Valve guides, guide fits, and why it matters: A general overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gharper View Post
    Great write up! Can you continue and elaborate on the 3 angle valve seat? PLEASE!!
    Angles are one of the more interesting -- and debated subjects. This is more like an 80,000 foot over view and is not meant as gospel.

There are three things going on with seat angles:
    1) Gas seal
    2) Gas flow
    3) Ability to self clean

Folks will tell you there is even more - but for 95% of the work we'll likely see as vintage motorcyclists; these three things cover what we need to address.

For the gas seal -- pretty much any angle works. The two most common angles are 30 and 45 degrees; though motors have been built with everything from 20 to 55 degree seats. Neway has long argued for cutting at 46 degrees . . .and leaving the valve at 45. It's supposed to offer a better cut seal . . .but I've always cut at 45 anyways even when custom setting the angle on stones. (there's a reason that a degree scale is on the side of the diamond dresser for stones).

For the gas flow -- think of air the same as liquid -- it has to "flow" and it has to turn corners. Air velocity remains relatively stable if the turn is no more than about 15 degrees at a time; hence there is often a 15 degree separation in the "three angle" valve job (60 degree, 45 seat, 30 degree top cut). Too much of a turn and there is a risk of fuel dropping out of suspension. That equals lean and most people over compensate for it and create carbon in their motor. Probably the biggest contributor there is plug readings on too cold a plug for the compression ratio.

Ability to self clean is more complicated. In essence, all valves carbon and all valves rotate in service. Our seat pressure (springs and installed height) coupled with the angle allow this carbon to be "crushed" for lack of a better term and for the heat of the valve itself to burn the powdered carbon clean off the seating surfaces. You can see this when you pull down many old valves -- the valve will be crusty, the chamber crusty, the port, eh but the valve seat will shine out at you. And, it's amazingly skinny to boot!

In relatively short order it was discovered 30 degree seats flow a lot of air but don't self clean as well as 45 degree seats. This doesn't mean 30 degree seats are a great choice and 45s poor or vice versa. It's simply a data point and much is dependent on other choices affecting how the motor breathes. If your bike came with 30 -- stick with it. If it came with 45 -- well, that's most motors.

Most prewar motors do not have more than one angle (30 or 45). The reason isn't because our forebearers didn't have the technology to do multiple angles. They sure did -- and plenty of "valve reams" from before the war come in sets with throating cutters (60, 65 or 70 degrees) and topping cutters -- usually 15 or 20 degrees. The real reason is metalurgy at the time meant valve life was a challenge no matter what. Most manufacturers ran BIG seats to deal with heat -- especially in the exhaust valve. As you sank the valve with subsequent valve jobs; "topping" cuts of 15 or 20 degrees were used to "relieve" the top of the valve area. This also helped keep the carbon build up down. Throating cuts were generally for when you went to oversize valves and suddenly needed to bring the seat back up a bit.

During WW2 -- the sheer number of motors in service meant a LOT of rapid understanding of valve life and extreme conditions came into general practice. In fact, through Allied aircraft maintenance, the importance of guide to guide bore heat transfer became very clear and some of the general service proceedures I outlined in the first post come from that understanding. A lot of aircraft motors had the living hell beat out of them and dropped valves was more of an issue than many people realize. You have to remember we're talking about boosted motors running flat out. Add in the fact compression ratios started sky rocketing with better petrol and our understanding of valves and valve seats kept building throughout the war.

As part of that, the width and placement of valve seats started to change. The concept of a "three angle" had come fully into vogue -- but most people don't really understand what that is.

Here's the skinny -- when we cut seats they are almost always too wide. You CAN run a motor with wide seats. The challenge to doing so is that the very end of the valve face will carbon and either glow like the sun (auto ignition/detonation) or insulate so well the end of the valve starts distorting. The second thing is that on motors which see more than about 5000 rpm regularly -- the extra contact with the seat can cause a valve to "stick" right before it floats or to stick on the over run from the heat load -- all made worse if your motor is an oil burner. It makes a hell of a clanging! This won't happen right away and I've done more than one motor with only two cuts that is still purring along with 5 digits on the speedo with proper tuning and an attentive owner. Again, many prewar motors didn't come with topping cuts from the factory . . .just the seat. They run fine if you understand what it is and respect what the motor can do with ease and where it needs more frequent attention.

And, it's not unusual for flatheads to show port shift during casting, which is another use of throating cuts to correct (to some extent). Here's an example where you can see the roughly 1/16th shelf under the seat area from the pattern shifting just a smidge during casting (seriously the pattern makers and foundry men were very skilled craftsman to even make these cylinders!) Note, these are original 13 fin ULH cylinders and factory relieved . . . but note you're seeing only one angle for the seat.And those pits in the seat aren't rust -- those are carbon pits from it not being fully crushed and burnt due the relatively low spring pressure and low rotation of the valve.

DSCI3620.JPGDSCI3618.JPG

So, when the seat is too wide or simply in the wrong place, we need to reduce it's width. We determine which end needs reducing by checking the contact pattern on the valve face. A general rule is that you'd like the initial contact to be approximately 1/3rd of the way from the end of the valve face (towards the chamber). Sometimes, this means cutting the base of the seat (60 or 70 degree throating cut) to move the contact up and/or top cutting to move the seat down the valve face (30 or 20 degree cut). This is where artistry comes in and a bit of experience helps. Normally, I can figure out whether I need two or three turns of the Neway simply by looking at my contact pattern and port . . .and sometimes, well, you need a lot of throating cuts.

Today, a lot of automotive shops do "five angle" which results in an additional top and bottom cut for flow -- but also to expose the valve overhang (the bit on the very end that isn't in contact with the seat). On modern fuels and fuel injection -- this extra overhang ensures the carbon burns clean off which is one of the reasons modern motors can go 200-250K miles without valve attention.

In almost all cases, such "modern" valve jobs are challenging on vintage machinery. It's double a challenge with truly hemispherical cylinder heads as the topping cuts tend to be hog out a lot seat. This illustration shows why: TOP CUT PROB.pdf

Basically, as you can see in staring at it -- if you cut the 30 degree it coincides with the hemisphere and makes for a cut that is deeper on one side of the head than the other. Exposing the valve overhang on old valves may also lead to premature burning of the margin -- with modern nitrided SS valves much less an issue.

Finally, as I stated in the first post -- lapping is a waste of time. If you don't have a solid mechanical gas seal from properly cutting/grinding seats and refacing or using new valves -- you have a problem. The moment the motor fires -- the valves start growing in diameter and length. As a result, no seat lapped at room temperature will be in the right place when you are at full temperature. However, if you cut the seat properly -- the geometry is maintained throughout the range of expansion. About now, the light bulb goes on why we started the valve seat 1/3rd of the way down the valve face. As the valve heats up -- this moves to about the 1/2 spot and stays there. If we started too high or too low -- we run the risk of excessive carbon and or sticking. Hence why so many lapped motors show poor power when hot as the dickens and are carboned to the moon when you tear them back down.

Again, this is an 80,000 foot overview -- there's a ton of technical stuff behind each of these things, but it's really more than we "need" to know.

Comment

I'm with you, Steve!

Sorry to bring heat transfer back in, but that's why exhaust seats were usually left a little wider than intakes. And Flatties a skosh wider on both than OHVs..

And I agree about lapping, however sometimes it helps inspection. Especially if the customer is standing there and needs to know why it will cost so much.

(Run-out gauges are too much for some fellows...)

....Cotten
      PS: Late edit: Lapping Panhead seats embeds the abrasive!
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-11-2021, 03:01 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Great info, thanks again for taking the time to post!
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I'm glad this one seems to have hit the mark. One is never sure whether the information is helpful, too much, or not enough.

Now that I'm not moderating anymore, i am hoping to post a few more of these general over views so we may capture better repair techniques for vintage machinery before no one is left to share. . . or wants to share.

I sorta never ever really thought of the fact the good mentors who helped me build my vintage knowledge were already in their 60s when I was 19, and i was 19 quite sometime ago.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do this, very good information!

Comment

Yes, thank you for this great explanation! I've subscribed to this for future reference.
              AMCA #41287
              1971 Sprint SS350 project
              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Thanks.
                A 30° seat begins to present a larger "curtain" (actual exposed area directly above the valve seat) than a larger angle immediately, but this advantage fades as valve lift approaches .400" (above the lift of most SV engines), and a 45° seat shows an advantage. Automotive race engines began to go to 50° etc. decades ago for .800"+ lift.
                30° seats do not have the same concentric-hunting ability (to re-seat on the guide center) as larger angles.
                Ideally, there should be an open (unobstructed) path between the edge of the seat and the bore immediately the valve opens. H-D service manual describes use of the "clearance cutter" (Dixie used to sell them, surplus mil) after several valve jobs have sunk the seats to remove material above the new seat and improve flow, prevent overheating etc.
                Hand relieving has a similar effect, with the advantage that mostly metal facing the bore is removed (retaining the static CR as much as possible).
                A H-D non-race SV will pick up some flow by going to a 30° seat, but the valve head must be significantly larger than OEM to remove the old seat material completely.
                The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
                  .... H-D service manual describes use of the "clearance cutter" (Dixie used to sell them, surplus mil) after several valve jobs have sunk the seats to remove material above the new seat and improve flow, prevent overheating etc....
                  Anybody need one?

CLRNCCTR.jpg

Still in cosmo...

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Steve,

Thanks again for the great write up! I was lucky enough to get a complete Neway kit at a swap meet for about $350 a couple years back. I've been playing with it while building up 3 sets of Excelsior cylinders and about 20 intake cage sets. With some advice from a couple older guys that have been doing it for a long time I think I've managed to do pretty well. Now I understand the WHY much better!

I also managed to resurrect most of the old exhaust guides and intake cage guides with bronze guide liners. That experience reinforced your guide write up for me as well.

Thanks again for sharing all this great information!!

Gene Harper

Comment

I installed dozens and dozens of guide liners, Gene!

Back in the '80s when I toiled in an auto speed shop.

Even tried them in a chubblehead for a customer!

They are a great last resort to get something running just to sell it. But it better be water-cooled.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Anybody need one?

CLRNCCTR.jpg

Still in cosmo...

....Cotten
                        Hmm, that looks familiar -- albeit at 20 degrees:

IMG_0018.JPG

I actually got this whole set NOS at an antique store in Milwaukee and have used it on several cylinders. Works a treat on period stuff.

Here are the throating cutters:
                        IMG_0019.JPG

And of course the classic "reams"

IMG_0020.JPG

Comment

No script on the back of the MOCO cutter, Steve!

Its more conical, with a drill pip for a driver I guess.

Your kit reminds me of My K.O. Lee collection.

(Seat replacement should be a thread in itself..)

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                            The purpose of this thread is to give a 10,000 foot overview of guide replacement to help dispel some of the confusion.
                            Thanks for taking the time for that long and detailed post. Following are a few friendly amendments

It is NOT difficult to make guides though it is best done in a collet vs a three jaw chuck to ensure the ID and OD are concentric.

A Hardinge "Special Accuracy" 5C collet that never has been abused, in a lathe whose headstock has zero runout, is specified to have a TIR of 0.0002". However, their standard collets have a TIR of 0.001", and you can expect a no-name collet to be worse, even if it hasn't been abused. Because of this, I recommend when making guides to ream them to the nearest nominal ID size and then turn the OD to the desired dimension with the guide between centers on a mandrel. This ensures the OD and ID are accurately concentric.

I like to ream to within .0005 and then to finish on rigid hone whenever possible;

Although some reamer manufacturers claim better results, more commonly you can expect the ID of a reamed guide to have an average surface roughness of 50–100 micro-inches. Kibblewhite recommends cast iron guides have an average roughness of 32 microinches or better. Note that you only will know the roughness of any of these surfaces if you have a surface roughness gauge like a Brown and Sharpe Pocket Surf or Mitutoyo Surftest.

Sunnen provides a formula for estimating how much stock has to be removed by honing to go from some initial surface roughness to the final desired roughness. That formula estimates that if the initial roughness (from the reaming) is greater than 82 microinches, removing 0.0005" will not be enough to achieve 32 microinches, let alone better

In the below pictures you can see the pilot for a neway cutter and the initial seat. This seat then has to be top and bottom cut for width and placement on the valve face.

Because it isn't easy to turn a Neway cutter without exerting at least a little sideways thrust on it, it is very difficult with these cutters to achieve a seat that is perfectly perpendicular to the guide. In my experience it may feel like there's no way you are exerting any sideways thrust, but you likely are. However, the only way to know this is with a seat concentricity gauge.

Further, a torque plate makes a significant difference when cutting the seat, although how much difference it makes depends on the geometry of the specific head. On my 1928 Ariel, installing a torque plate and spark plug changed the concentricity by 0.003". That is, had I cut the seat absolutely perfectly, but without them in place, once the head had been bolted to the engine the seat would have been distorted by 0.003". That certainly would have affected how well the valve was able to seal.

The question is why you’d want to do so when for a very little bit more work, you can do it professionally and be done for decades.

I completely agree.

Comment

So BoschZEV!

How would you rough out a guide from a window weight?

I've got plenty..

.....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

I originally didn't comment on the chuck verses collet comment but I would like to share my 40 years of almost daily machining knowledge here. I am in no means disgracing anything, just adding my 2 cents. I agree that a collet is better, but I believe most motorcycle/machinist have a lathe with just a chuck.

If you machine the entire guide at one time, (except for the top collar area), it doesn't matter how much your chuck runs out. Put the material in the chuck, face, center drill then drill it deep enough, rough turn the press fit diameter, then finish turn the main OD and press fit diameter and shoulder and lead angle or step if desired. Then bore the ID to desired size, (I prefer to bore as compared to ream- a reamer will leave you with a 6 sided hole just as a drill will leave you with a 3 sided hole), part or saw off, turn around and turn the top collar diameter. Precise concentricity would only matter here if a guide seal was used, (and then several thousands wouldn't matter in my opinion), unless runout was so excessive your springs would be way off center, in that case you need a new chuck!

Not a shot at you Tom, but why in the world would you use window weights when material is readily available? If you (or customer) have money for a valve I would think you would have money for guide material. I look at time verses money, a lot easier to chuck up round stock than to mess around trying to hold a window weight, I would think material costs verses labor costs would be a win for you and your customer. Sometimes a new piece of material is friendlier and more efficient to work with than the free rusted material you found somewhere.

Again, great write up and comments.

Just wanted to add that some may not have a small boring bar long enough to go through the guide length, and/ or tool deflection is also a concern. You could rough turn the OD's as I mentioned then drill and ream, part off etc. Then you could take a piece of material, put it in the chuck and make a mandrel to slip the reamed guide over. Again, chuck runout doesn't matter if you machine the mandrel and use it without removing it. A .001 slip would work and the guide could be held on by tapping a hole in the mandrel end and holding the guide with a screw and washer. You can flip the guide from end to end to machine all diameters if so desired. Then finish hone the ID as desired. The .001 slip and runout on the mandrel won't matter because you are going to cut your seat to the guide ID once pressed in.

Side note, if your chuck consistently runs out the same every time, meaning one of your 3 jaws is always at the high or low point of runout. You can mark your mandrel somehow to insert it back in the chuck the same way you machined it. And tapping (indicating) the work piece or one of your chuck jaws to run true is every day machinist labor.
                                Last edited by BigLakeBob; 08-13-2021, 04:39 PM.
                                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                                X