66 compensating nut removal ...still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 compensating nut removal ...still

I was trying to remove the compensating nut on my 66 flh. I have the clutch hub locked together. Bought a new 1000 ft/lb air impact. Tried to remove the nut and no luck.
    I then heated up the nut to about 700 degrees ( happened to have an infra red thermometer nearby). Tried the impact again to no avail. Tried that 3 times so far. My question is where to heat the compensating assembly. I have been heating the face of the compensating nut. I would like to heat it closer to cases/crank shaft but im conerned with heating the spring to much. Any thoughts? Thanks Don

Originally posted by DonIII View Post
    I was trying to remove the compensating nut on my 66 flh. I have the clutch hub locked together. Bought a new 1000 ft/lb air impact. Tried to remove the nut and no luck.
    I then heated up the nut to about 700 degrees ( happened to have an infra red thermometer nearby). Tried the impact again to no avail. Tried that 3 times so far. My question is where to heat the compensating assembly. I have been heating the face of the compensating nut. I would like to heat it closer to cases/crank shaft but im conerned with heating the spring to much. Any thoughts? Thanks Don
    You know it is right handed, right? Heating the face of the nut close to the center will let the heat travel down the shaft to the threaded portion.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks again Rubone....I'll keep heating and trying.

Comment

I have always had the best luck using a 3 foot pipe on the breaker bar.

Comment

Sounds like the Loctite Demon, Don!

Heat won't get to it until you peacock the rest. (Bad.)

You have an appropriate four-dowel spanner for an impact?

If your clutch brake has too much 'give', try lead wheel weights between the motor sprocket teeth and the chain, but don't let the chain hit the inner primary.

Good luck!

,,,,,Cotten
          PS: I remember a fellow who mis-read a 400 ft-lb torque spec and somehow spun off the sprocket shaft nut between the flywheels.
          A lot less shock could screw up the flywheel's "true", whether for assembly, or otherwise.
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-15-2020, 02:48 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Success!!! Thank you all for the input. Before i left my shop the other day I heated up the compensating nut and sprayed some pb blaster between the sprocket and the inner primary. Came back 2 days later and spun the nut off like it was already loose. My only conclusion is that by heating up the face of the nut that the blaster was drawn towards the heat and then sat for a few days working its way around the threads. There was no sign of corrosion on the threads or any locktite. Not sure exactly why the hours i spent heating and trying were to no avail. Who am I to question the motorcycle gods. Just thankfull it came off with no collateral damage. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X