No announcement yet.

Hard shifting into 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be as simple as readjusting the shifting forks with a shifting fork gage. “Took a long ride today” ? ThatÂ’s kinda cruel to some of us ! Happy new year. Wow ! I feel stupid , yesterdays posts did not appear till I posted this, which is mostly repeating them. Also,where the heck did. Those weird capital A’s come from?
    Last edited by Jcadams; 01-01-2019, 09:08 AM. Reason: Late to the party

Comment

I want to thank all that responded with usable insight, and knowledge. I'll copy these replies and refer to them when I pull the transmission for repair. Jcadams, we do have nice weather here in Florida in the winter; but we also have millions of tourists in season, and apparently they don't have traffic laws where they come from
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
        I always grind a lead in on Andrews shift forks
        Ditto this. If it comes apart, might be worth checking into. I'll even cast a sharp eye to an OEM one.

Comment

What does the lead look like?

Comment

Taper the fork in the direction the shift clutch turns into the shift fork.[lead in]A little more than taking a burr off.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
              Taper the fork in the direction the shift clutch turns into the shift fork.[lead in]A little more than taking a burr off.
              Agree with Mr. Duffey, just a leeetle tiny bit. Sometimes I'll even dig around for a used straight one, because they wear on 'em is usually perfect.

Comment

First, I want to thank everyone that generously contributed their knowledge, and experience to help me out. I did take the trans out and tore it down to the last retaining clip, and roller. I'll list the things I noticed right off the bat:

1. The shifter fork 'top hat' for the high gear clutch was made by me out of bronze. I thought that would be an upgrade, but it looked abraded, and roughed up so I learned to not second guess H-D.

2. The shifter drum looked a bit worn so I replaced it.

3. I replaced the 3rd gear bushing.

4. High gear shift fork bushing was cracked, and a chunk of it came off in my hand when I examined it. Good thing that didn't happen when it was running. I thought this had to be the #1 culprit for hard shifting into 3rd.

5. I replaced anything that looked jakey, and put in new clips, gaskets, and lock washers.

I put it all back together using the manual like an ambulance chasing lawyer would in court. I spun the trans through all the gears, and it shifted smoothly, and reliably on the bench. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with it before I put it back in the frame.

I put it back in the frame, adjusted chains, and linkage, took it for a ride. . . . . Same f^(#ing problem with 3rd gear.

I parked the bike to avert doing something stupid. A few weeks ago I was talking to a Henderson buddy from Germany and told him about my transmission woes on the '48. He asked me if I had shimmed the transmission mounting plate; to which I answered, "No". He suggested loosening a few mounting bolts and see if that makes a difference. . . . I did, and it did. . . . It now shifts into 3rd much better, so I have to believe the trans case was being warped by the plate. I've decided to pull the trans out again, and do what I need to do to get that mounting plate perfectly flat.
                Last edited by exeric; 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I talked with a friend, yesterday who had the same problem as my 3rd gear issue. He confirmed that his 3rd gear problem was fixed by shimming the jockey top up with a second gasket, and massaging the shifter path on the shift drum to eliminate any nicks, or sharp spots that would influence the free running of the top hats on the shift forks. I have to wonder if H-D had all this figured out, and that genuine H-D top hats were more precision made. This is the only feedback I have heard so I would welcome anyone's observations.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Iam your fiend you talked to, I had a conversation with Ralph about my problem and he led me down the right path. With the aftermarket top hats installed a second gasket and it shifted great, took the top back off and removed the drum, with my fingernail I could feel a slight rough place on the top side of the drum, I chucked the drum in the lathe and sanded, polished the top of the drum and then took the drum and polished the guide paths with a small dremel tool. I also paid more attention to the detent ball and guide. Shifts very smooth now. Thanks to Ralph for the help and Eric for the great help and conversations! It is great to have people that share there time to help me !!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, and help, Dave. Now it's just a matter of making time to yank the transmission out one more time. But I'm also thinking I should pull the motor and measure all the mounting surfaces on the frame and fix anything that's bad. . . It never ends
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Sometimes it seems that way,but when it does end it is a great feeling! Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                        X