Hard shifting into 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard shifting into 3rd gear

I have a 1948FL with a 4 speed transmission and a jockey top with the selector arm pointing down. I don't care about codes so I don't know if it's a numbers correct year trans. My problem has been hard shifting into 3rd. All other gears are easy, and down shifting from high is also no problem. Obviously, I'll have to take the transmission out at some point. Any ideas on what might be going on in that hellish gear chamber of horrors
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    ...Any ideas on what might be going on in that hellish gear chamber of horrors
    Simple Eric!

Start by accepting that it is probably the most reliable and service-friendly component of the whole motorcycle.

....Cotten
    PS: ""jockey""?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-29-2018, 04:41 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Useless information; as usual.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        Useless information; as usual.
        Useless to the useless.

The HD four speed transmission design famously outlasted their assigned motors in service, and outlasted upgraded motor designs over the decades of the Golden Age of American motorcycles, even into the tragic Shovel era.

Deny that?

....Cotten
        PS: Indian might have survived with a decent gearbox.
        But even HD's attempt to improve the Indian design for Ks and Sports proved inferior.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-29-2018, 05:18 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I deleted my post because it was improper. I started this thread to get a few insights from fellow AMCA members who offer real knowledge, and not hollow pontification. If you know something that may help me, please respond; if not, keep it to yourself.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, some of the earlier boxes tended to be a bit more difficult to shift into third, a combination of no back cut on the 3rd-high shift clutch, worn 3rd gear bushing, and shaft speeds. The later "improved " shifter clutch is relieved both sides, not just the high side. The '59 and later 3rd gear is also an improvement as it remains square to the shaft instead of tilting slightly due to the narrow bushing. The shifter fork tends to wear more on that side as well with the early clutch as it has to push harder for longer to get engagement. A gearbox inspection is likely in order. And BT gearboxes are some of the most simple components on an H-D, no fear!!
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you, Robbie. That is the kind of information I was looking for. First class, as always Robbie.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric; Robbie is correct on all points. One problem that I have seen is the use of replacement shift forks. Most Harley people like to use USA parts. If your shift fork is bent, beware of Andrews shift forks. They were made of hard steel that would tend to break instead of bend. These caused major transmission problems, including broken cases. A bent fork will cause grinding and hard shifting verses a transmission lock up. For this reason I use OEM or Taiwan forks. They are NOT as hard. Maybe Andrews has changed the process for making forks ? I don't know. I'm sure that you won't be race track shifting your '48, which likely caused the broken shift forks in the first place. But just a heads up.
                Craig

Comment

Thanks for that, Craig. A friend of mine mentioned shift forks as well. I thought I did a good exam of the parts when I put that transmission together but something is not happy in there. I took a long ride today, and was able to keep it in high gear most of the time, but 3rd is just too aggravating to live with.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

My brother had the same issue years ago and he forgot to install one of the shifting fork rollers, 34168-39. Maybe one of yours has an issue, when you pull the lid, I would make sure both are there. And look at the cam to make sure all is good on the roller tracks and overall end play of the cam. Might save you the trouble of digging deeper. Bob
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

What role could a mis-alligned shifter fork play in this problem?
                      If you have an allignment tool I would check the shifter fork spacing prior to disassembly just to be sure they are spaced correctly.

Comment

I always grind a lead in on Andrews shift forks

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                          I always grind a lead in on Andrews shift forks
                          Forks or do you mean clutches? Thanks.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Forks..the edges catch on the clutches.There is a gear clearance problem with one of them that needs to be closely looked at also.Spin thru everything checking for smooth operation

Comment

I was talking to a friend of mind today and he mentioned of taking a tranny apart that was hard to shift and he found that the lock tab for the shifting fork bushing had never been bent over and nut had worked itself loose ruining the proper positioning of the fork. Just another thought.
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X