Excelsior engine balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric!

After a year or so on a Stewart-Warner, it became apparent to me that it was an awful lot of extra effort for very little benefit.
    You must have already decided upon a factor, arbitrarily, and then the wheels are punished until they obey.

The procedure inhibits merely lightening the reciprocating mass to raise a factor, as you must break down the mocked-up bob weights, recalculate, and re-assemble for any changes.
    As discussed in the VI article, it will display any concentrated masses in individual wheels, but then so will knife-edges.
    Generally, the countermass portion of the wheel is going to be heavier than around the pin, and a 'spoked' flywheel has fewer regions for a pocket of extra mass to occur.
    Dynamic experience also told me that the slightest differences in assembly, even when trued within spec, can move apparent heavy spots.

(And I learned the hard way that 'spoked' (cast iron) wheels do not like a lot of dis-assemblies and re-assemblies..)

That's just one of the reasons I always final-assembled the complete crank before considering balancing.
    If it fell within a couple of percentage points of what was expected, we saved the customer money, and prevented flywheels from becoming Swiss Cheese.

And Gene!

It is very surprising that your larger forked rod is so nearly the same mass as the male.
    Ordinarily, there is a significant difference, making the top proportionally heavier as well (half of a heavy rod should always be more than half of a light one...)
    Did you save any photos of the rods themselves?
    The female must be quite delicate.

...Cotten
    PS: When I finally punched in your numbers, I got about 26%: still enormously low, even for a short stroker. Aluminum pistons will be significantly lighter, right?
    That may be all of the 'balancing' you need to raise your factor, without altering the original wheels.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-04-2016, 12:29 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,

Yes, aluminum pistons will be significantly lighter, but I'm not there yet. Still need to pick the best cylinders from the collection and bore / hone them. Then I will be measuring compression and raising it a bit. From there I can have pistons made. So, yes I'm putting the sidecar in front of the motorcycle, so to speak. Just had some down time at the fire station on new years so I played with balance factors.

Attached are a few pics of the original rods next to the repro rods. I weighed the new rods and came up with the following numbers:

Female rod: Total weight = 479 g. C.P. end =238 g. W.P. end = 241 g. Male rod : Total Weight = 448 g. C.P. end = 235 g. W.P. end = 213 g.

Compared to the original numbers of:

Female rod: Total weight = 468 g. C.P. end =222.6 g. W.P. end = 245.4 g. Male rod : Total Weight = 466 g. C.P. end = 209 g. W.P. end = 257 g.

So, those numbers are all over the board, some ends heavier, some lighter than the originals. That will all be figured in down the road with new pistons. Any way you cut it,the Excelsior rods are very light, especially on the big end! There are no replaceable races, just rollers running on the hardened rod. There isn't any room to make a rod with a replaceable race. So, if pitted or worn, they can be hoed out a bit and that's it.

Looking through my notes, I see a comment from Brad on his 13 X, 2 time cannonball winner. He said it cranked 3800 rpm max@ no load on a test stand. He originally balanced at 55% and it was very rough. He went back in and balanced to 50% and it was much better. The sweet spot was at 50 mph, but I don't know his gear ratio. Not bad on a single speed machine!

If I understand it correctly, balancing the crank assembled with one piston assembly attached is basically a 50% balance factor, right?

IMG_0405.JPGIMG_0406.JPGIMG_0404.JPG

Comment

Gene!

The Indian 'military' method of hanging the assembly with one piston gives around 64%, on a Chief.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X