Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for Black Cylinders

Hi,
    I have a friend who has a '91 FXR and is planning a base gasket replacement. While the cylinders are off, they wanted them re-painted (Harley had engine paint flaking issues I believe between '91-'94). They want to stay with flat, wrinkle black since are not pulling their motor. Does anyone know of a good painter/shop or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

You might want to talk to someone at an automotive paint store. I've been given very good advice by people behind the counters as many of them have been in every part of the automotive fefinishing business.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Does the factory offer the paint you need?
      VPH-D

Comment

Eric - I will quiz a couple of quality industrial paint stores in town. They are looking for someone to shot the paint! (I'm no painter. )

VPH-D - Good suggestion. I'll contact a friend who works in my local dealer's service dept.!

Comment

A good paint job is all about surface preparation, and you would probably be more motivated to get that right than anyone else William. After all the misery of getting the preparation right, painting is the fun part.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I agree that well done work is all about the preparation. If this were my scoot, I'd certainly tackle the work cuz I'm a tight-wad. Haha!

Comment

That wrinkle black peeled very bad and as far as I know was discontinued long ago.You had to paint the cylinders very warm[95degF]to get it to wrinkle.I have not found wrinkle black for a while and use flat/not gloss on those motors

Comment

I always used a wrinkle paint from a automotive speed or custom supply house. Tape up well using duct tape to protect the cylinder walls. Plug any holes and glass bead the outside. Blow off well and wash them a few times in hot soapy water, clean any threaded holes you can't get them too clean. Blow off the water awhile they are still warm or put them in a oven 150-175 degrees. Tape areas not to be painted. Set them on a board to paint or hang them. You can a put bolt or wire into the head hole as a handle sticking out the top. When painted awhile wet transfer to a warm oven 150-175 degrees. Do not believe the can that it will wrinkle without the oven, sometimes it dose sometimes it dose not. Keep checking and remove when wrinkled. The paint will still be soft when warm it will become hard over night.
                Jim D
                Jim D

Comment

Googled it ,VHT makes Black wrinkle-never saw it locally when looking.I agree with your methods,I only had luck with very warm cylinders

Comment

The VHT REALLY stinks when it gets hot. Heating the part first, painting, then using a heat gun outside works pretty good. Especially if the only oven is in the kitchen! Dale

Comment

Thanks Gents for all the great advise and suggestions.
                      William

Comment

VHT is the paint that I used most of the time. I have been known to use the kitchen oven a few times but have graduated to my own shop oven in more recent years. If you do a search for Farberware Turbo ovens they can be purchased for $25-$50 on Craigslist. They are an older convection oven that was for counter top use in the home and were well built, good for about 500 degrees and light enough to move around with ease.
                        Jim D
                        Jim D

Comment

I keep forgetting about those counter top ovens that were so popular back in the 70s, and 80s. There are a lot of jobs they could be handy for. Thanks for the tip Jim, I'll start looking.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            I keep forgetting about those counter top ovens that were so popular back in the 70s, and 80s. There are a lot of jobs they could be handy for. Thanks for the tip Jim, I'll start looking.
                            Good luck Eric,

I have been searching the alleys for years (even before the Great Garbage Crash of '08) to replace the large one that an associate used to detonate a rattlecan of paint (back about '94 or so. He soon left to work at the Dealership...)
                            A little fudging got the elements to heat again, and I put a sheet of aluminum in place of the window, but the controls were sacrificed.

Thankfully, infra-red thermometers got cheap.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                            X