HD bearing cages- when to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD bearing cages- when to replace?

Generally speaking, when you you guys reuse or replace the bearing cages in the HD lower end during a rebuild?
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Very good question, Dan!

Horribly worn cages should be pitched of course,
    but most are re-used without any sudden destruction, so ignored.

It would be ideal that all used cages are re-Parkerized, for retaining lube for start-ups after sitting for extended periods.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

THX Tom. I wasn't sure how well the cages are intended to locate the rollers, and sometimes I see the edges are worn away. But for the few engines I've done I've replaced and reused. doing another JD and it got me to wondering this time around cuz they were not so "horrible"......
      Dan
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

I made a new batch of the 301-15 crankpin roller cages 1915-36 because the used ones were getting so rough. I don't think any of the parts companies have done them yet. Also made 3922-30 the VL wheel hub and rear brake roller cage.

Comment

We make the cages for the 36-54 sprocket and pinion bearings for pans, knuckles and flatheads.
          Carl
          http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Working...
          X