No announcement yet.

problem wih 1935 VLD spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get Jeff at 'bulldogbrothersgarage@gmail.com' or search using his name on FB.
    Last edited by Peter Cooke; 03-25-2024, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Jeff Goorman
      Bulldog Brothers Garage
      303-435-3212
      jeffro1@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks guys
        I have just spoken with him and he is very helpful and nice.
        I appreciate all your help very much.

Comment

Dear Wildcat, if you have the white-faced ammeter on your '35 there is a mistake in the Harley handbook wiring diagram. The ground terminal is on the right not the left as earlier, which could have messed up your wiring with the new kit. Double check before spending money on new coils.

Comment

Will check
            thanks Steve

Comment

Are you talking about the yellow negative wire, the wire from the map light, or the ground wire from the left side of the fork?
              where should these all go?
              thank you

Comment

I meant the ground wire from the frame on the left side not fork.
                Sorry

Comment

Also when you say left side are you looking at the face from the top as if I was driving viewing. The chart is upsides down. Thank you

Comment

Wildcat,
                    I agree with Steve and thought from the beginning you have a wiring problem. If things worked when the bike was taken apart, odds are slim anything failed...Odds are good it has to do with how things are wired with the new harness.

Being you told us there was no voltage on the B+ side of the coil when the points were closed tells me you have a wiring problem and was my point earlier.

There are very simple static tests and Dynamic test that can be performed on the points and ignition coils to avoid purchasing parts you don't require.

I hope you locate your wiring problem. Please let us know how else we can be of help.

Duke

Comment

Thanks Duke
                      I hope Steve can help me with the questions on the wiring so that I can get them all in the correct places or know that I already have them correct. I will then check the remainder of the tests.

Comment

Steve will confirm but I believe the bottom diagram is what you should be chasing, assuming you have the Delco ammeter which has a white face and needle pointing to the rider.
                        "Also when you say left side are you looking at the face from the top as if I was driving viewing." Yes that is correct.

VL Ammeter Wiring.jpg

Comment

Thank you very much Peter

Comment

Yes. Looking from the seat
                            thank you

Comment

Thank you all for your help as the problem is solved.
                              I ended up taking the switch box apart and each terminal. I found a terminal that appeared to be fine but when I took it apart, I found the inside hidden area to be badly corroded. Once I replaced this terminal, I have great power through the new wiring harness, coil, and points.
                              Also, I want to tell you that Jeff Gorman is a really great guy. I was going to purchase a new coil from him. He wanted to actually see if I needed a new coil and he spent considerable time over the phone with me walking me through some tests on my coil and we learned that the coil was fine. It just needed more power than what was coming at the time. Thats pretty special to be treated this way!!
                              I recommend the wiring harness from Cimarron Cycle Works as Colin Tawney replied back quickly each time I reached out to him with advice that helped me get the job done. It is very well made.
                              AMCA members and this Forum are extremely valuable to everyone. I can't wait to fire up the old boy this summer and cruise!!

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                                X