problem wih 1935 VLD spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem wih 1935 VLD spark

I took the bike completely apart for restoration as a great running bike. I didn't remove the distributor or mess with it. I Installed a new wiring harness and I am quite sure that I have rewired it correctly.
    I have 12V on both sides of the coil. I have 12V to the top set of points that ride on the cam and at the end of the cable from the condenser that is hooked up to them.
    The problem is whenever I close the points, there is no longer any voltage and I can't get the points to flash when they close or if I try to jump them. I know my switch works as the power shuts on and off when I run it. It is all dead once the points close.
    I also ran the ground wire that I found from a past comment from Steve to somebody else on this site. Mine didn't have that ground wire in place prior and it didn't help me in this case.
    My lights work good so this is my only remaining problem.
    Photo attached.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you.
    Attached Files

You should get a voltage reading at the coil only when the points are open. When the points are closed the ground is a 'better' path of least resistence and you will not get a voltage reading. Jerry

Comment

I took the readings with the point open and they are 12V.
      Everything goes dead once the points close all the way from the points to the coil.
      Thanks,

Comment

Wildcat,
        Is it possible you have the polarity of the ignition coil wired incorrectly?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat View Post
          I took the readings with the point open and they are 12V.
          Everything goes dead once the points close all the way from the points to the coil.
          Thanks,
          That is the way it should be. Your points are arcing right - when you flick them open? Your meter has more resistence than a grounded ignition circuit and therefore you will not get a reading. If you have an amp meter put it in line and you should get a current reading if electricity is flowing.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
            Wildcat,
            Is it possible you have the polarity of the ignition coil wired incorrectly?
            Wrong polarity on the coil will not affect this. Jerry

Comment

Wildcat,
              If I understand you correctly, you are reading 12 VDC at both primary side terminals of the ignition coil with the point open and when the point is closed, neither wire terminal has 12 VDC...

Comment

That is correct

Comment

My points do not arc

Comment

Wildcat,

Ok, so yes, that's a problem.

1) You should read a constant B+ battery voltage on the front coil terminal and rear terminal with the point open ( no path to ground from the point)

2) You should read a constant B+ battery voltage on the front coil terminal and 0 battery volts on the rear terminal with the point closed ( 0 volts after the load theory). If you actually read voltage on the rear coil terminal with the point closed, you have a ground integrity issue.

When the motorcycle is actually running, your front coil terminal will read battery charge voltage and the rear coil terminal will read say 200-300 Volts with a DVA. This is what's normal. I could actually test the DVA volts if need be but I've measured a lot and this is approximate.

So if your terminal's are both reading "0" volts when the point is closed, I believe you have a coil/wiring problem.
                    Have you tried a static coil test on the primary and secondary sides of your current ignition coil?

Hope this helps,
                    Duke

Comment

My coil has two terminals. One on each side
                      thank you

Comment

are you running a taiwan tedd coil, or a jeff gorman coil (the one you should be using)?
                        the taiwan coils are crap at best, & useless junk at worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat View Post
                          My coil has two terminals. One on each side
                          thank you
                          Yes, as you view the coil, the left (front) terminal is the B+ and should have constant B+ with key on. The right (rear) terminal will fluctuate B+ and 0 volts when the point is opened and closed. Is it wired as explained?

Comment

I am going to try new points and condenser first because the bike ran great last summer when I parked it so I don’t know how the coil could have gone bad but it may have.
                            i was very surprised that it didn’t fire at the points and I thought I could have wired it wrong with the new wiring harness.
                            there is no name on the coil that I can see.
                            if the points and condenser don’t work then I can replace the coil.
                            the change to 12 volt was done by the former owner
                            thank you

Comment

Hi guys,
                              I installed new points and condenser and nothing changed.
                              When the points are open I have 12 volts from both terminals on the coil and I have 12 volts to the points and condenser.
                              When I close the points, I have no juice out of either terminals on the coil nor to the points and condenser.
                              If you still believe it is my coil, how do I get hold of Jeff Gorman.
                              Thank you,

Comment

Working...
                              X