Fuse size to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse size to use?

I'm thinking to put an inline fuse from my battery to the battery wire on my 1946 Indian. What size FUSE should I put inline? Only running a headlight, fender light, Speedo light, and tail light. Nothing "extra".
    Last edited by Jim; 12-15-2023, 11:17 AM.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

You should size the fuse to gauge of the wires behind it. 15A is probably best, but I don't know what you are running.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

On my 46 converted to 12volt I am running 20Amp.

Comment

Thanks guys! I should've mentioned mine is still a 6V. First, I'll see what gauge the wires are... but if I can't figure that out, I think I'll start with the 15 and if it blows (for whatever reason) I'll go up to a 20.
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I have run a 10 amp on mine for years with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by motor-officer View Post
            I have run a 10 amp on mine for years with no problem.
            Nice! Thanks for the info! I found a wire that's bare just at the handlebar hole. Which led me to think I BETTER put a fuse on it!

20231215_144656.jpg
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

There you go Jim... if you blow a fuse, any fuse... its probably a wire thats gone bare or in some other way compromised, (pinched,or broken, and touching the metal frame or other component.
              a higher rated fuse usually means the wire that is faulty has more heat and time to mess things up in a much fashion... like burning up the whole harness !!

Good on you for finding the problem, before its too late !!

Roger

Comment

Typically I run a 20 amp fuse.
                If you have a Amp clamp or a DVOM you can measure your amp draw at the battery with all things applied (Headlight High beam, speedo/dash bash, running tail light w/brake light illuminated.
                This is quick and easier than calculating the math on all items individually. Very accurate in the end.

Comment

I put inline fuses in all my Harley big twins. I use 30 amp fuses. Least little touch working on it (sometimes forget to remove fuse before doing something) and it blows instantly. I think the bigger fuse might be a little more vibration resistant. Vintage triumph service manuals call for 30 amp fuses and they only charge around 4 amps.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
                    I put inline fuses in all my Harley big twins. I use 30 amp fuses. Least little touch working on it (sometimes forget to remove fuse before doing something) and it blows instantly. I think the bigger fuse might be a little more vibration resistant. Vintage triumph service manuals call for 30 amp fuses and they only charge around 4 amps.

Good info about the Vintage Triumph using a 30A! Thanks I just looked at the wire diagram for my 1965 Honda CB160 and that shows a 15A fuse.
                    Last edited by Jim; 12-20-2023, 06:56 AM.
                    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I have a Yamaha RD350. If memory serves its 20amp.

Comment

Working...
                      X