Panhead Ignition switch assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Ignition switch assembly

I have taken my ignition switch apart for cleaning and have found myself unable to reassemble correctly. I have factory, Bruce Palmer, Clymer, and Rick Schunk manuals. Could a member give me some insight on reassembly, the mechanical portion is easy however the switch operation has become an issue. The switch correctly assembled will allow me to start wiring with replacement wiring harness.

Chances are, 54Police74,...

Is that all you had to do was grab some needlenose pliers and rotate the contact bar to where it wasn't worn.

(But with Clymer and other classical mis-information, I can only remind you of the axiom: If its taken apart,... It's broken.)

The '41 and later 45" Service Manual has far better switch info than any OHV literature that I am aware of; It may be in the AMCA library, maybe. Good luck!

.....Cotten

Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2021, 11:03 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well I gave up on adding scans to my last post, Folks,...

So here I try again...
      45PG126.JPG
      45PG128.JPG

45PG129.JPG
      45PG130.JPG

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Well I gave up on adding scans to my last post, Folks,...

So here I try again...
        45PG126.JPG
        45PG128.JPG

45PG129.JPG
        45PG130.JPG

The problem with this info is it is for a WLA switch which has many parts not used in civilian switches and can merely add to the confusion for someone unfamiliar with the differences.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

The problem with this info is it is for a WLA switch which has many parts not used in civilian switches and can merely add to the confusion for someone unfamiliar with the differences.
          You got anything better, Rubone?

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

DCP_4681.JPGDCP_4680.JPGDCP_4682.JPGDCP_4683.JPG
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank You T. Cotten and Rubone for the provided information. This morning I realized that the key only locks and unlocks the switch, I was trying to operate the switch function with the key. At 71 years old mistakes can seem so foolish! I will add the provided info to my 54 rebuild history note book.

Comment

I applaud you for your effort, Rubone!

But can you add any text?

Posterity needs it most, Thanks,..

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

I had my ignition switch apart on my 1970 FLH this week. No keys when I bought the bike, though an original switch (it appears). Anyway I found a NOS tumbler with keys and pulled her all apart for installation and cleaning. Oh boy did she need a good cleaning. Reassembly became a thing, but the third assembled picture from Robbie showed me how the tumbler engaged the lock plate, and then we were golden. Nice to have a locking switch.

Thanks again to the Forum for providing useful and important information.

Comment

Originally posted by 54Police74 View Post
                    Thank You T. Cotten and Rubone for the provided information. This morning I realized that the key only locks and unlocks the switch, I was trying to operate the switch function with the key. At 71 years old mistakes can seem so foolish! I will add the provided info to my 54 rebuild history note book.
                    Any key will work in a Panhead era switch. A true Panhead switch won't have a key code next to the keyhole.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                    X