No announcement yet.

Leather Maintenance & restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob--As far as I know, I am the only vendor that will even try and restore old saddlebags, and it is a "Female Dog" to do. If neetsfoot has been used recently you can soak them in an industrial degreaser to try and remove the oil but once that neetsfoot oil permeates the leather, there is not much one can do. I really do not have any "secrets" as I have freely given my advice, methods, and opinions on this forum. I have been able to bring many vintage seats, bags, and other items back to life and it is a truely remarkable moment when I restore these things and get the reaction from my customers--It is what makes what I do so fullfilling---Michael

Comment

Rob, Apply the degreaser and pat down the leather with paper towels. Do this as many times as you can stand to do it. Then repeat the same process using glycerin.(Most drug stores have it.) Then get a big jug of Lexol and have it. I don’t think you can put to much Lexol on old leather. Your bags will be fine. How am I doing Michael?
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

Understood. I'm not talking about old stuff here, except for maybe a jacket. It's all new stuff that might have gotten a treatment of neatsfoot just because I had it around.
        Thanks,
        Regards,
        Rob Sigond
        AMCA # 1811

Comment

I use Corn Huskers lotion on my hands,main ingredient is glycerin and no oils,any drug store should have it. I bet it would work on leather!What is in Lexol?Johnny-Badgers

Comment

I use Corn Huskers lotion on my hands,main ingredient is glycerin and no oils,any drug store should have it. I bet it would work on leather!What is in Lexol?Johnny-Badgers

Comment

Fantastic thread and gold class advice fellas.
              I'm off to search my shed for any 'Neatsfoot' type product and toss it.
              Good on you.

Ken.
              Ken Kemp
              Nth Queensland
              AUSTRALIA
              Member # 8756

47 Chief
              2006 BMW K1200S
              Getting seriously interested in Vincent
              2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
              SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

What is the genuine HD leather preservative? To me it sure smells and looks like "Pecards" which also happens to be a product of Wisconsin. Anyone have an opinion on Pecards?
                Cam

Comment

Zaino Leather in a Bottle

Try this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13

I have used it on leather in cars and it works very well. Also smells like new leather.

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ Treatment and Conditioner contains a perfectly balanced, solvent-free blend of special oils and other natural conditioners. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ penetrates and preserves all fine leathers for years of beautiful service.

We also added Ultra-Gard™ for total protection from the sun, and our exclusive real leather oil concentrate for a rich leather scent. After just one use, your car will have that great new leather smell again.

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ leaves a non-sticky, greaseless, stain repelling, natural luster and restores the supple feel and smell of new leather. Does a great job on vinyl interiors and dashboards too. One whiff and you will agree its Leather in a Bottle™. We believe this product has no equal in the world.

The Z-10 bottle contains 8 fl. ozs. (236 ml.)

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

For best results, apply every 60-90 days.

Just wipe on and let dry. No buffing is necessary.

Do not use an excessive amount.

Allow your leather to dry thoroughly before using.

Comment

The curator of the Illinois Military Museum suggested either Pecard's or Cellugel. It seemed that he preferred Cellugel; so, I am using it to preserve some WW II leather family artifacts. It may be obtained from Preservation Solutions, 2650 West Montrose Avenue, Chicago, IL 60618. Pecard's runs an advertisement in AMCA's magazine.
                    I use Red Wing Boot Oil on my Red Wing boots. They are 22+ years old, and I make good use of them on the bikes and on the farm. The way they are holding up, they may make it another 22 years. Hmm, maybe I should use some of that stuff on me!
                    Last edited by Coolbreeze; 11-07-2015, 12:00 PM.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                    X