Leather Maintenance & restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Maintenance

I just picked up some "leather therapy" this week. It was recomended by some (horse people)
    that I know. Used it on both new and old seats and was very pleased. It seems to have a
    glyceryn content along with any oils. It"s not at all oily and penetrates easily and leaves a nice feel to the surface....Rod

Comment

Attached is a photo (ca. 1981) of the bags with horsehide lids before suffering from neat'sfoot oil. The lids were already slightly shrunken .
      Any information about them would be appreciated, TIA..

While searching some vintage leather references, I was surprised that I could find information on nearly any other species than horse!
      Apparently the animals were too useful, and lived such longer lives than food animals that their hides were usually too battle-scarred for garments or upholstery.

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I think a lot of horsehide was used in the past as horses were much more plentiful ... they were used for farm and draft work. So a lot of old leather clothes were made of them. It is a heavier and thought to be tougher material, and seems perfect where you need real protection. Not as supple as other leathers for casual wear, but I feel a lot more protected with horsehide while on the bike. The interesting thing is that you can find a lot of vintage horsehide stuff on ebay, and there is so much of it, that you can find a large size, and while some of it is very expensive, if you keep your eye out, you can get a deal. I've paid less than $230 for two heavy horsehide jackets in good shape with great patina ... one longer and one shorter ... in sizes of 44 and 46. If I were buying a cheap, current production, lightweight leather jacket, I would have paid about the same ... much, Much more if I were looking for a quality jacket. One warning/question to ask of internet sellers however ... does it have an odor ... almost impossible to get odors out of old clothes.
        Vic Ephrem
        AMCA #2590

Comment

Michael, can the glyserin be a vegetable type extraction ? Thanks, Paps

Comment

For what it's worth Dykes Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia indicates that for dressing all leather.............. Raw linseed oil and turpentine, mixed in proportions of two of the former to one of the latter, is a time-honored formula.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

WOW! that brought back some memories, that's what granpa used to dress our ballgloves with when we were little. I had forgoten all about that till you brought it up, thanks.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

You bethca! I was hoping some of the leather guys would weigh in on it........ just curious..... Oh, by the way anybody who doesn't have a copy of that encyclopedia should get one. It's got a pile of info in it.....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

CO--As a leather guy weighing in, please read my previous posts. No type of oil should be used on motorcycle seats or saddlebags!!!! It is a recipe for disaster and I will be the guy that folks send this stuff to for repair!!!!--Michael--6671

Comment

Cory, I've got a copy of Dykes . Every time I pick that thing up Im good for 2 hours of reading. It's hard to put down. Heres another question, I've got some Britt bikes also.
                    A solo seat by Lycette..covered with a heavy type of oil cloth and a dual seat from the 50s
                    that has a leather look, but is some type of vinyl. What to use on these type of seats?
                    I won't use any silicone products..... Thanks for any help...Rod

Comment

I read your posts Michael. I just thought I'd post on what they were doing back in the '20's. I guess things have come a long way....... I've got an ancient bicycle seat that may have seen oil in it's lifetime. Man, you could break rocks with it now!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

H-D sold a product back in the 30's & 40's called Leather Lacquer, and that is just what it was lacquer, but OH would it make your seat and bags look purdy ( for a while)!!! It sealed the leather and would eventually make it hard as a rock and crack like the bottom of a dry lake bed. Sometimes, the old ways aren't the best!!

Comment

Michael,

Thought this question belongs in this thread rather than start another. If one were to have put neatsfoot oil on a new set of bags, only on the outside, can the damage be stopped or reversed with the application of anything else, like maybe a solvent or perhap a good soap and detergent cleaning followed up by treatment with Lexol or glycerine?

I'm asking because I have always had neatsfoot oil around for making black powder lubes and since the old school info has always been to use neatsfoot oil on leather, there is a chance that I have used this stuff on a set of bags in the past, or maybe even one of my older jackets. Can I save them before it's too late?
                          Thanks,
                          Regards,
                          Rob Sigond
                          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Good question ... if Michael doesn't see this thread, you may want to send him a private message.
                            Vic Ephrem
                            AMCA #2590

Comment

Rob--Before I got into motorcycles, I rode horses, team penning, trail rides, Roundups,etc. Extreme Cowboy type stuff and I used neetsfoot oil liberally on my Circle Y saddles ( the best money can buy) and it seemed to work fine. So when I started Worsham Castle Cycle Leather, naturally I thought neetsfoot would work on all types of old motorcycle leather. Man O Man was I wrong. I ruined so many really good examples of COWHIDE saddlebags it would make one sick. Then I started doing research into leather, what does old leather need and how to acheive that goal. That is when I discovered a formula that attracts moisture while allowing the leather to breathe. That is the key, do not seal the leather, allow it to attract moisture and breathe!!!!!!!!!!! --Michael--WCCL

Comment

Michael,

Yes, I'm fully converted over to the Rev. Paquette's Church of Moist Leather. But my question was, can I save, or better yet, should I try to save something that might have had an application of neatsfoot oil not too long ago?

I'm not looking for you to reveal your secrets for restoring leather. That's like asking a magician to show you his tricks. I was just wondering for myself and perhaps others out there if we could reverse the damage done by an application or two of neatsfoot in the past by formerly heathen rider such as myself?

And...since we are on the subject, is it every adviseable to spray Lexol on the rough leather side of a garment or set of bags? Or do we just spray on the smooth side and rub in?

And if this was answered in previous posts by you, I apologize for asking again. This is why I think this site would profit (informationally and productively) by a Garage type of page for tech articles, how to's, etc.

Thanks,
                                Regards,
                                Rob Sigond
                                AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
                                X