Viton Gas Cap Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viton Gas Cap Gaskets

I made this quick tool yesterday. Made from some S-7 tool steel I had left over from a job. Made the groove 2 5/16" x 1 1/2" with a cut angle on each. Then I tried to torch and quench harden it (reason for discoloration of tool), didn't quite get it hot enough. But tool worked well, just used a piece of plastic as a backing and pressed thru the 1/16" viton using a hand arbor press. Good enough process to make a few (made 16) but not for production. Sheet of viton was about $80 with shipping, 20 gaskets per sheet. Fit in the cap real nice and gaskets came out clean with no 'hanging' edges.
    DSC06672mp.JPGDSC06674mp.JPGDSC06673mp.JPG
    Bob Rice #6738

Beautiful work, Bob and very reassuring because I made a punch like that for cutting gaskets from cork sheet. I'll bet your punch works better
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I never tried to harden my dies, Bob!

You can sharpen them on the lathe the same way you cut them, so why bother?

I don't know what steels I used, but the big one with two sizes of gaskets was some sort of roller.

GSKTDIES.jpg

Running out of space for storage, I started cutting dies from large hardened thrust washers of some sort.

.....Cotten
      PS: Paps was cutting viton gascap gaskets back in '16:
      http://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic.p...+gasket#p97786
      http://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic.p...+gasket#p97871
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-01-2021, 10:46 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        I never tried to harden my dies, Bob!

You can sharpen them on the lathe the same way you cut them, so why bother?

.....Cotten
        PS: Paps was cutting viton gascap gaskets back in '16
        The bother would be to make the dies last. I respect all that Paps has done and wasn't trying to make this like a new concept. Maybe my topic heading should have been 'How to make a simple die to make gas cap gaskets', possibly someone other than yourself may benefit from seeing the construction of a simple tool. But, once again, your response makes me question why I bother to post, you seem to have all the answers. Thank you.

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

The bother would be to make the dies last. I respect all that Paps has done and wasn't trying to make this like a new concept. Maybe my topic heading should have been 'How to make a simple die to make gas cap gaskets', possibly someone other than yourself may benefit from seeing the construction of a simple tool. But, once again, your response makes me question why I bother to post, you seem to have all the answers. Thank you.
          So,.. you didn't really want to start a conversation, Bob?

Sharing Pap's data-filled insights was somehow inappropriate?

We need to post, and encourage, even more of these basic tips and tricks, for all those who can still apply them.

....Cotten
          PS: How long does a kitchen knife "last" if you don't sharpen it?,,
          'Til you throw it away"?

PPS: Late edit: I just opened an envelope from a close associate with some thirty-thou-plus Viton Schebler bowl gaskets, for models that had no gaskets at all.
          What could go wrong?
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-01-2021, 05:08 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

I enjoy your posts, Bob.

Dale

Comment

I like your posts, Bob, and I hope you, and others continue to take the time, and make the effort to post pictures, and text of parts, tools, and fixtures. I think it is essential to a functional forum to be able to share ideas, and suggestions about how we do things. Constructive criticism is always good, but not as good as positive encouragement.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I also enjoy your posts, Bob, and everyone's positive comments.

Curly

Comment

I love seeing your stuff Bob, and appreciate all the dedication you have to this sport/hobby. Keep it up.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I hope you come back, Bob!

Dale

Comment

Thanks Bob, always something usable for us home garage knuckle busters.

Comment

I bought a pair of viton gas cap gaskets at the last ever Rhinebeck meet and immediately the bike ran poorly. The OD was too big and wouldn’t let the early style Eaton caps vent. I guess they would be fine for the later style caps.

Comment

Working...
                        X