Viton Gas Cap Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viton Gas Cap Gaskets

I made this quick tool yesterday. Made from some S-7 tool steel I had left over from a job. Made the groove 2 5/16" x 1 1/2" with a cut angle on each. Then I tried to torch and quench harden it (reason for discoloration of tool), didn't quite get it hot enough. But tool worked well, just used a piece of plastic as a backing and pressed thru the 1/16" viton using a hand arbor press. Good enough process to make a few (made 16) but not for production. Sheet of viton was about $80 with shipping, 20 gaskets per sheet. Fit in the cap real nice and gaskets came out clean with no 'hanging' edges.
    DSC06672mp.JPGDSC06674mp.JPGDSC06673mp.JPG
    Bob Rice #6738

Beautiful work, Bob and very reassuring because I made a punch like that for cutting gaskets from cork sheet. I'll bet your punch works better
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I never tried to harden my dies, Bob!

You can sharpen them on the lathe the same way you cut them, so why bother?

I don't know what steels I used, but the big one with two sizes of gaskets was some sort of roller.

GSKTDIES.jpg

Running out of space for storage, I started cutting dies from large hardened thrust washers of some sort.

.....Cotten
      PS: Paps was cutting viton gascap gaskets back in '16:
      http://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic.p...+gasket#p97786
      http://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic.p...+gasket#p97871
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-01-2021, 10:46 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        I never tried to harden my dies, Bob!

You can sharpen them on the lathe the same way you cut them, so why bother?

.....Cotten
        PS: Paps was cutting viton gascap gaskets back in '16
        The bother would be to make the dies last. I respect all that Paps has done and wasn't trying to make this like a new concept. Maybe my topic heading should have been 'How to make a simple die to make gas cap gaskets', possibly someone other than yourself may benefit from seeing the construction of a simple tool. But, once again, your response makes me question why I bother to post, you seem to have all the answers. Thank you.

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

The bother would be to make the dies last. I respect all that Paps has done and wasn't trying to make this like a new concept. Maybe my topic heading should have been 'How to make a simple die to make gas cap gaskets', possibly someone other than yourself may benefit from seeing the construction of a simple tool. But, once again, your response makes me question why I bother to post, you seem to have all the answers. Thank you.
          So,.. you didn't really want to start a conversation, Bob?

Sharing Pap's data-filled insights was somehow inappropriate?

We need to post, and encourage, even more of these basic tips and tricks, for all those who can still apply them.

....Cotten
          PS: How long does a kitchen knife "last" if you don't sharpen it?,,
          'Til you throw it away"?

PPS: Late edit: I just opened an envelope from a close associate with some thirty-thou-plus Viton Schebler bowl gaskets, for models that had no gaskets at all.
          What could go wrong?
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-01-2021, 05:08 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

I enjoy your posts, Bob.

Dale

Comment

I like your posts, Bob, and I hope you, and others continue to take the time, and make the effort to post pictures, and text of parts, tools, and fixtures. I think it is essential to a functional forum to be able to share ideas, and suggestions about how we do things. Constructive criticism is always good, but not as good as positive encouragement.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I also enjoy your posts, Bob, and everyone's positive comments.

Curly

Comment

I love seeing your stuff Bob, and appreciate all the dedication you have to this sport/hobby. Keep it up.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I hope you come back, Bob!

Dale

Comment

Working...
                    X