Indian Rear Frame Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Rear Frame Identification

Does anyone know what model this number goes with? Verticals for 1949 are not supposed to have numeric codes on them.
    Attached Files

I wanted to post a follow-up in case some readers were wondering as well and had never heard of this numbering issue. Recently I have communicated with someone who has been doing mechanical restoration of verticals since the late 70s in Milwaukee, WS. This person said the number is most likely a factory spare/replacement part. Such parts or number sequences were not placed in the factory literature, though could easily be assigned during post-production runs in case the need ever occurred.

Comment

JTR, what I know about verticals would fill a small thimble, but I figured those were casting numbers of some sort, so thanks for the update!
      Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Since that post Jim Sutter, retired and living in Hawaii has shared his Indian motorcycle factory schematics. the number shows up there in the same location, however, the frame sections with this number were allegedly made in the testing phase for a 1953 Experimental Warrior TT. When I purchased the frame and forks from Kentucky, the bike had a front center section of a 1951 Warrior TT. Ironically, if this is what they are, I bought another set of frames from Missouri and the rear frame had the same number on the back rail as well.
        -JR
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X