Attracting younger people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm too young for this club.

Although essentially out of business, I still get requests for tech info often, Folks.

So I link them here, even if they are not AMCA.

With meets few and far-flung from each other, prospects can hardly ante up to play with the good ol' boys, unless its virtual.

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Funny coincidence today. We had our seasonal air conditioner tune-up and the tech guy saw my bikes. He went into a long, often repetitious, disjointed rap about friend's motorcycles, and friends, friends, friends priceless motorcycles pulled out of abandoned buildings. I was very patient, said 'yup' a few times, and 'nope' a few times and hummed an old disco tune in my head while he talked, and talked, and talked. That has happened to me so many times because typically, this guy is not a 'listener' and probably would have hummed the same disco tune in his head if I tried to interject AMCA info. To have a meeting of the minds, you have to have 2 receptive minds - regardless of young, vis-a-vis old. So, I would like to see a demonstration of how to cold sell a young, non member on the AMCA.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I would like to see a demonstration of how to cold sell a young, non member on the AMCA.
        I've been around long enough to know better than try to teach old dogs new tricks. I'm sure an old dog could come up with any number of reasons why it's stupid for someone else to turn in a winning lottery ticket (would put them in a higher income tax bracket, relatives will ask for money, will start getting unsolicited sales calls, etc. etc.), so coming up with reasons why it's impossible to attract new members to the AMCA hardly would be a challenge.

Comment

So what's the point of this discussion about getting new members? A forum, albeit contentious at times is a place to present, discuss, and debate ideas. This never-ending debate about growing AMCA membership seems to be more of a platform for testifying what A-holes older AMCA members are for not giving away their Knuckleheads, and kissing non-member ass. This is a member supported club and is suppose to cater to the general interests of it's members. I think the AMCA National does a good job of that, publishes 6 issues of a beautiful magazine, umbrellas national meets around the U.S. and one in Europe, and seems to run smoothly for the majority of members who only have contact via the 'Antique Motorcycle' magazine. If young people interested in old motorcycles can't see that, and the value of that; then it may be beyond any control.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            So what's the point of this discussion about getting new members?
            When having a conversation with a given person, it's always a judgment call as to when it's being productive, and when it's not. Personally, when I feel a particular conversation isn't going anywhere, I step away from it.

Comment

I feel the same way. I think I presented my position in clear terms. To clarify, I do not think it is the privilege, or right for anyone to make others believe as they do. The AMCA can present itself through every form of in-person, virtual, and print communication to make itself known but that is it. Youth can do as they will, and historically, will do just that. Obviously there is a wall of misunderstanding here and that's okay. A forum is where people can debate, and disagree.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

What an echo chamber.

.....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

If there seems to be a problem attracting younger folks I can attest to the notion that it is also older dudes. I ride with about 10 or so guys who all have vintage scooters - from a 1926 JD to a 1973 FLH and everything in between. Panheads, knuckles, 45s, VLs, early Indians and assorted shovelheads. They are all mostly original bikes, nothing custom. I am the only one who is an AMCA member. These blokes have a wealth of knowledge and experience spanning many decades that if shared on this forum would be a great resource for all, yet none of them are interested in joining the club. One is a recently retired machinist who rebuilt countless old motorcycle engines and transmissions, another owned a body shop that painted many an old bike or vintage car and this guy has become our resident expert regarding old Indians of which he has at least four - and they are all beautiful. I've encourage and cajoled until blue in the face but they have no desire.

I have three adult sons who grew up around old motorcycles and none of them have ever expressed any interest in this hobby. I come from a family where no one knew how to turn a wrench yet I have been fascinated by internal combustion engines since I was a kid. Go figure.

It's just the nature of things.

Comment

On the subject of joining clubs, twenty-eight years after I bought my first Gold Star, and seven years after I bought my third, I finally joined the UK-based Gold Star Owners Club. What actually prompted this was that a few days ago an acquaintance in town loaned me his complete set of 'Goldie' club magazines dating from 2008, giving me several hours of enjoyment flipping through them for interesting and useful information. Despite most of the content being UK-centric (events, reports of section meetings, etc.), there was enough in most issues to make joining worthwhile.

On the subject of aging, a 'Goldie' issue from two years ago had a table of the membership totals for the previous five years, showing a steady growth of ~1.5%/year during that period, although the total today is the same as in 2020 (perhaps a influenced by covid?). However, perhaps an omen of broader consequence, there were 19 ads from businesses in the January 2008 issue, but just six in the December 2022 issue.

Comment

If you are you are. If your not your not. If you do you do. If you don't you don't. Gear heads don't grow on trees. Apples do! Some like organized groups, some run the other way. It's a good time when paths cross though!
                      DrSprocket

Comment

I'll throw another thought out there. Let's just say the parents of a young individual don't give much thought to an internal combustion engine, just kinda flow with means of transportation without giving much thought. So this young individual has grown up the same. If this person (not using he or she- just trying to do my part to attract the younger generation by staying gender neutral ) pays attention to the direction the US and some countries are going in trying to ban gasoline powered engines by 2035 or 2040. Why in the he!! would the person join an organization that promotes using such? Why spend x amount of $ when in 13 to 17 years all this person will be able to do is look at it or only ride it during allowed times per 'saving the environment' rules? Unless this individual plans on moving to a sane government friendly country, why join something that promotes extinction. Just a different point of view. I'm happy with the club and hope I out live the extinction of our beloved machines being more than a museum piece.
                        Last edited by BigLakeBob; 02-18-2023, 01:23 PM.
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                          Let's just say the parents of a young individual don't give much thought to an internal combustion engine,
                          That describes at least 90% of the parents over the past 75+ years, so little has changed with that aspect. AMCA members might have hung around with kids who had parents with hot rods and motorcycles and thus have the feeling that was normal, but that was a self-selected subset of all parents at the time, most of whom didn't own hot rods or motorcycles, nor gave much thought to internal combustion engines. For most families, the only internal combustion engines were in the lawnmower and Oldsmobile, and the only use for the latter was to take dad to work, mom to the grocery store, and the family on Sunday drives.

Comment

Young blood, Folks,..

Demands to be entertained.

I was facetious when, some time ago, I suggested celebrity judges.

But maybe I was wrong.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

When bikes and parts are priced through the ionosphere how can a young person afford to buy one? Most adult folks can't afford to get into this hobby.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                                When bikes and parts are priced through the ionosphere how can a young person afford to buy one? Most adult folks can't afford to get into this hobby.

I agree only to disagree Chris. Very legitimate insight into the current state of the Antique Motorcycle. But, like any dilemma, there are alternatives if only the younger or even older would educate themselves, and not succumb to the brainwashing that resides in the industry. There is a whole array of Antique Motorcycles to choose from, that is if you're not stuck on what someone else tells You what is it You should ride & or collect. Here's just a few current examples of decent antique motorcycles that a younger member, or adult, can easily afford & still acquire parts for, and not re~mortgage their home. By the way, these listings are all within the last month. The motorcycles were either listed on Craigs & Facebook Marketplace. I probably have another 20 to 30 motorcycles, that i could easily list here, which doesn't even begin to scratch the surface!!! Does not include many European or Japanese motorcycles that qualify for Antique status. **All of these motorcycles are operating machinery! Also, the price$ are what was listed in the ads, and does not include...Apprenticeships of 'American nut nit Picker or Pawn Star episodes of low balling'.
                                *M.A.D.*

1. 1970 Bonnie~$5400.00 *O.P *(Needs Handlebars/cables, mufflers & boots to originality).
                                2. 1967 Daytona~$4500.00 *Restored, but owner preferred his taste of color combinations. *Professional Paint Job.
                                3. 1970 Bonnie~$6500.00 *O.P.
                                4. 1967 Daytona~$3000.00 *(Has a Ceriani & Bonnie brake, but it has the original ft. end & fender). *Full Restoration 15-20 years ago, but then sat in a Florida garage.
                                5. 1973 XLH Sporty~$4200.00 *(Mint, O.P. original, Low miles, one owner. Has the original substituted parts.). Funny~ listed in Lake Orion, Mi., and it still took a month to sell? *I regret NOT buying this~Oh Well.

351339046_6616497878360292_1668866420355106955_n.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2806.jpeg
                                00Z0Z_7NEYvZMzj91_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
                                347837667_1921642111510216_4413634430245745637_n.jpg
                                00K0K_hXcvRNgDlvl_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 06-27-2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X