No announcement yet.

Hello from Whidbey by way of Oklahoma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Whidbey by way of Oklahoma!

Howdy,

Just joined the forum - had no idea this was here until a very kind old friend mentioned there was a discussion going on re: lithium batteries and Cannonball Stealth starters. Definitely caught my attention and then I started reading and reading and well I think I've fallen into some sort of mechanics heaven! Anyways happy to be here and meet y'all!

I'm from Whidbey Island but currently visiting a good friend in Choctaw OK. We met 30+ years ago - I was on my '50 pan and she was on her '53. For a long time she was the only other gal I'd met/known that was doing all her own work (tearing down and rebuilding old bikes) - we're currently looking at options for converting her pan to electric start.

I started riding 35+ years ago and started wrenching the year after I started riding. I have a couple of runners and 3 project bikes. Of them, the newest is a '66 shovel, the oldest a '47 knuckle, the daily rider and the one that's near/dear is the pan. Generally there's always something on the lift getting worked on.

I think that's about it for now - off to find some coffee and then dive back into the forum! Thanks for having me and very much looking forward to playing in the sandbox!

Best,
    Cam

Welcome Cam, Glad you made it here.
    Been on Whidbey a couple times, beautiful area. I have a '47 as well, along with a couple others. Post some pics of your bikes when you get a chance.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome to the AMCA Forum, Cam. I think this forum is one of the best aspects of the AMCA because we can access our old motorcycle obsession any time we please. There are also brilliant people here that can help with most any problem that comes up. As Robbie said, post some pictures of your bikes when you can.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks! Still very new and poking around trying to get the lay of the land... with that in mind, where's the best place to post the bike pics (not specific to a topic, just to share as you both suggested) ? Cool that you know the island!! If you make it to Whidbey any time in the future feel free to give a shout - there's one road in particular that's awfully fun and a real gem for riding. Just a short blip really but it'll make your heart sing!

Comment

Cam!!!!
          Welcome; if you haven't already checked them out here is a plug for your local Chapter:

#42 Evergreen Chapter
          Bremerton, WA 98310
          Contact
          Madeline Malmgren
          President
          (253) 208-2089
          Malmgren12345@msn.com
          More Info
          Web Site: http://www.evergreenamca.org/

Initially you can post pictures here

Comment

Here's a couple shots...

ScooterPics_Kiersten_Miller-2.jpg
            69 and 66 shovelheads - the 69 is Judy's.

ScooterPics_Kiersten_Miller-1.jpg

'50 Pan - this is about the 3rd reincarnation...
            Last edited by Cam; 01-29-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

And here's a couple of more recent shots of the pan as of the latest reincarnation...

Incognito-2021-Leica.jpg

Incognito-Montana-2022.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff and cool bikes. Welcome to the club and forum. Alot of purists here but also alot of people that love riders.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Howdee Cam & Welcome.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Welcome from Ct. ......Smitty

Comment

Welcome, cool bikes
                      AMCA #41287
                      1971 Sprint SS350 project
                      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Welcome Cam! I'll be moving to Belfair, WA in the near future. Planning to join the Evergreen chapter of the AMCA once I get out there. I also have a 66 FLH.​​​​​​​

20210417_171118.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cam,

Welcome to Whidbey! I just moved away last year, but while I was there I also joined the Washington Vintage Motorcyclists club. They have monthly meetings, generally in Mt. Vernon, and organize rides during the year. There should also be a big swap meet coming soon too. Look them up, they're a friendly group.

John Olsen

Here's the club at my house near Coupeville at the end of a poker run in '21. (Me on the left side.)

IMG_9083.JPG

Comment

jolsen ... what a crazy small world! I could be wrong... but I think we've met!

I've actually been on the island for over 22 years... just happen to be in OKC at the moment shaking free a few cobwebs. Will send more via email... keep your eyes peeled!

Comment

Would you know "Indian" Don Doody then? I think he lives on the island as well.
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X