Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here

Hello Everyone. Mike, one of the forum administrators, sent me a kind email suggesting I post a message introducing myself. I have been an AMCA member for a few years, but have never used the forum, until now. I own a 1979 Honda XL500S which I purchased new. We have been over hill and dale together. I have shown it at the Vintage tent at the Americade in Lake George, NY the last couple of years. I own 2 other newer bikes as well, a 1999 BMW 1200C (Bond cruiser) and a 2006 BMW GS650 which is a fantastic all around bike.

Speaking of my 1979 Honda, I want to do some engine work on it. I have done nothing to the engine except change a plug occasionally. It has about 26K on it. It appears the head gasket is leaking some. I want to fix that and understand I need to remove the engine from the frame. Here is the problem. I don't dare remove the exhaust pipes for fear of breaking a bolt where it attaches to the engine. One of the bolts is in a hard to get at location and I would have to cut the exhaust pipes to extract a broken bolt. I can't find any replacement exhaust pipes. Any suggestions?
    Darren

Welcome

AeroKroil - best penetrating oil there is. Let it soak a few days and then work the bolts slowly back and forth remove.

ps, if a bolt breaks, shouldn't you be able to remove the pipe without damage, then address the broken bolt with the motor out? IDK, never saw an XL500 up close.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Joe - Thanks for the lead on penetrating oil. Yes, you are right. If a bolt breaks, I should be able to remove the pipes, then remove the engine for better access. Then I can swear a lot trying to remove the broken bolt.

Comment

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I had an ‘82 XR 500 years ago that I really enjoyed. Post a picture of it if, would love to check it out.

Jim

Comment

Darren
          Welcome!
          I have never made it to Americade though I live in CNY
          Do post pictures of your bike when you can.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I had an old XR around here for years with a blown engine. A friend's son ran it out of oil and kept riding it until it gave up. They passed it on to me but I ended up giving it to a friend who wanted to put a single cylinder diesel in it ! He ended up moving away so who knows where that ended up.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
            X