No announcement yet.

Speedo Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right on John, that's the Janous I know.
    Cris, I still do not see any proof of your accusations. We are both well respected on this forum so let's leave this lie, like the dead horse it is.
    Carl
    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

I gave Janus two speedometers, both '48-style, to combine with the mint original parts in one and the other as restored. His comments were that he actually hated to see good quality original speedos restored and would much rather repair them than see them lost as originals forever. He seemed pleased that I would want to salvage the best parts into one super-nice speedo.

He did a great job with both. After 300 miles or so the odometer in the restored one quit, coincidentally in Davenport. I pulled it, took it over to Janus explained the situation and he swapped me another one, no questions asked and it had warranty also from that date.

The one in my '42 (restored) has over 1,700 miles, works perfectly. I expect no problems with the two others he has done and I have no worries in that regard because I KNOW that Janus will stand behind his work.

This is not to say that Mr. Bordas does not do excellent work also.
      Last edited by Lonnie; 03-12-2009, 05:38 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling before me arse gets gnawed upon.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        One problem with Janous (Speedo Rat) is that he passes off reproduction stuff as restored originals. For years I have been asking him to sell me a reproduction 1937 speedo face that doesn't have clear coat on it. He says his manufacturer in europe only makes them that way, which is incorrect.
        Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
        Cris,
        I have been using Janous for many years now and have had great luck with his products, I consider him the best and do not appreciate you badmouthing him by spreading untrue rumers. He has been very honest and straitforward with me and I have tried all of the other speedo repair shops, except for John Bordus. What have you built lately that uses an original speedo, I have used more than 50 speedos from Janous in the last few years and have been pleased with them all. Once again I challenge you to add some salt to your lame accusations.
        Carl
        Chris and Carl your both right. Janusz does indeed a fantastic high quality job on speedos. Specially on speedos with good original faces. But is also a fact that Janusz has sold 37 and 47 speedos on Ebay without to mention that they have reproduction buckets. The buckets are very good replicas and from the outside you can see the difference only at the bracing of the mounting tabs.

When I have sold restored speedos as profstewart on Ebay in the last few years I told always which parts are original or reproduction.

Janusz get his parts from Poland whereas John Bordas and I have a parts supplier in the Netherlands. Most of the polish and dutch reproduction parts are meanwhile in an equal quality compared to the original Stewart Warner parts.

A difference is still for the prewar and war time faces. The first photo shows a speedo from Janusz. The black inner circle doesn't go into the curves where the odometer is. I talked with Janusz in Davenport about that, but he don't know how to change it. The second photo shows one of my customer speedos with a dutch face and the inner circle goes into the curves.
        On the other side Janusz has perfect reprinted odometer rolls whereas John and I have to use decals when the odometer rolls are faded or chipped which is one of the mean problems when repairing or restoring an old Harley speedo.

And Chris the 37 faces have had indeed a very thin silver coating which passed away from sun and the heat of the motor.

Conlclusion: When you are a collector hunting for the 100 points bike, you can choice any speedo 'refurbisher' in the AMCA community. But when you are a rider needing a new face for your faded speedo it's more a question of your personel taste.

Ride safe
        Martin
        Attached Files
        Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Martin.....That post was just plain brilliant !! Paps

Comment

That post by Martin Brill,was very informative.I went and got the speedo I purchased from Janus last year at davenport and compared it to a unrestored speedo and you can see what Martin pointed out.I do know that the speedos I have had repaired or purchased from Janus have worked well and were accurate.

Ken Kalustian
            amca #2065

Comment

Originally posted by brillson View Post
              And Chris the 37 faces have had indeed a very thin silver coating which passed away from sun and the heat of the motor.

Ride safe
              Martin
              Martin,
              I agree that the brass faces are silver plated then acid washed before the silk screen numbers and logo were applied. But there was no clear coat on originals. Find an original and put a drop of clear silver cleaner on it a watch it come to life.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Janous Napierala

My experience with Napierala is similar to jwl's. A few years ago I was at Wauseon looking for a '47 speedomenter. I knew a little but could have been (and have been!) had easy. He had two on his table one priced substantially lower than the other. I asked about the differance and he said he had used a reproduction needle in the lower priced speedo. He went so far as to place a loose NOS needle and one of his reproductions side by side and let me compare them. The quality of the repop needle and price differance impressed me enough to buy the lower priced of the two. He also sold me a NOS '47 speedo lamp for what I consdered very little. How honest can you get.
                Pat Kozakiewicz

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  Martin,
                  I agree that the brass faces are silver plated then acid washed before the silk screen numbers and logo were applied. But there was no clear coat on originals. Find an original and put a drop of clear silver cleaner on it a watch it come to life.
                  Chris,
                  Years ago I made some experiments with old original ugly faces using clear silver cleaner. The silver cleaner solves the silver clear coat. But the 36 and some 37 faces I tested don't have any coating. From 38 to 46 Stewart Warner used the silver coating.
                  It's not a regular clear coat. In Germany we have the special term 'Zapon' coat for it and is soluble with clear silver cleaner.
                  Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

anyone know if a speedo person will be at oley? and who it might be

thanks
                    Moose
                    aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by brillson View Post
                      Chris,
                      Years ago I made some experiments with old original ugly faces using clear silver cleaner. The silver cleaner solves the silver clear coat. But the 36 and some 37 faces I tested don't have any coating. From 38 to 46 Stewart Warner used the silver coating.
                      It's not a regular clear coat. In Germany we have the special term 'Zapon' coat for it and is soluble with clear silver cleaner.

I don't understand what you mean by the 1938-1946 speedo's having silver clear coat on them? The silver plating is not clear. 1941-1946 speedo's had painted faces.
                      While commonly called White Face speedometers the face on a 1936-1940 speedometer is not painted. Only the numbers were painted on. The brass plate was silver plated then acid etched to give it the whitish appearance. I have several original used 1936-1940 faces. Most have the goldish brass color showing through here and there where the plating is thin. The numbers are silk screened on top ot the acid etched silver plate. There is no clear coat on the face.
                      I would be the first one in line to buy correct reproduction acid etched silver plate speedo faces without the clear coat on them.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

Speedo

Hate to jump in now but anything made by humans has to be imperfect somewhere. NOTHING is perfect. These machines weren't perfect when they came from the factory. They were trying to make payroll and they were just a transportation device, not an art object. Where did this yardstick of perfection come from. Unless it is an untouched original machine it has something on it that didn't come from the factory. Do you guys take a members dash off to see what's under? Do you all use original rings and pistons inside your motor? I had Janous do my 1940EL speedo and was more than satisfied. 7k and hasn't missed a beat. Use whoever works for you. Chris I've heard your remarks drive members away when you've been judging their machines with on called for negative comments and rude remarks. If you haven't anything constructive to say, don't.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

RichO,
                          The idea of a restoration is to return it to its original shape. Of course things inside may not be original due to oversized parts being needed or unavailable OEM parts. But things that are seen should be restored to look as they left the factory. Stewart Warner did not put a clear coat on the acid etched silver plated faces used 1936-1940. On a rider it doesn't make any difference.
                          As for remarks made during judging, have I said anything untrue? When my XLCH or my old Servicar was judged did I take the judges comments and hearty laughter as an insult and leave? NO, I correct the issues and return with it another time. It is true that I say what is on my mind.
                          Last edited by Chris Haynes; 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

yes there will be if you stand in the pavilon that the old dude is in and face snack bar turn right and walk down the row this row has no venders a cross from one an other he's in the middle of the row. the man is in a small white tent bring your old one for trade in our buy out right
                            rob ronky #10507
                            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

speedos

Chris, this is not the time or place but it will come. My memory isn't so short and you like to look up words in Webster's. Look up tact when you decide to speak your mind next time..
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Dear all,

There is no lack of coherence between good and bad experiences with Janus. Human people do not act always in the same way. Mood, mistakes, type relationship are few of the many reasons that makes us to behave in different ways.

It is a fact by reading this thread and the feedback of Janus in ebay, that he is predominantly good in his business and also reliable. There is almost nothing to discuss on this.

I can speak now for my very own experience with Janus and what I will tell below applies only to me and in no way goes in contradiction to any other opinion because this happened only to me!

- Janus sold me per ebay a 1947 speedo for 999 USD making very clear in the description of the speedo that this was an original one.
                                - The speedo had in fact a (very good) repro face and a repro bezel. Nothing of this was indicated in the auction and SHOULD have been because of stating that was original and setting the start price to respectable 999 USD.
                                - Janus rejected my objections about the face despite close-ups of his reproduction against close ups of the originals as counter-examples. Recognized but the bezel...
                                - Communication was not the best either. I will not say impolite because he never insulted me, but "hello", "thanks", "sorry", "regards" are not a part of his vocabulary, at least with me. Even if I never did something to disturb him. I never heard about him before, I bid in his auction and paid less than one hour after closure with PayPal. Quite "OK" for a buyer. I know this has nothing to do because it is "business", but anyway...
                                - I must be just and finally say that with almost no discussion (but always rejecting my arguments) he accepted the return of the speedo and refunded me the money promptly.

My biggest disappointment is why it is so difficult to talk... If I am wrong and Stewart Warner both silk screened and lithographed faces in 1947 models, then why do not tell it? It is just a single second spent! If not, why just not say that this was simply overlooked and that the face is really a reproduction? This kind of things in the daily life can happen, do happen and when additionally involve a quite large amount of money, it is a gentleman "must" to apologize.

I saw you were pretty harsh towards Chris (Haynes) because lack of evidence. The evidence I can offer is my thread about this subject in "Knuckle Heads" with the actual pictures and the auction of Janus itself (ebay item 370169714440).

Once again, please do not misunderstand me - I do not discuss at all the 1'000'000 positive experiences with Janus. I just describe my own one.

In the same way that happened to me, could also happen to another rookie like me. And I will be glad if I can spare this experience to a single other one because it was not fun...

Voila! Now I close my eyes and you can shoot this second "Chris"! I believe Rookies must go through this!

Kindest regards to all.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                X