Speedo Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Refurb

Any recommendations on Speedo Refurb vendor?

The only one I've seen advertised in the AMCA Magazane is John Bordas.

Is he the man?

I had my 57 sportster refurbish at

United Speedometer service
    Riverside CA 1-800-877-4798
    it has been 8 years add i have not had any problems,and they did a fine job
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

I've had several speedometers done by John in the last couple years with good results.
      VPH-D

Comment

Palo Alto Speedo (Palo Alto, CA) rebuilt my 65 Pan speedo. They did great work. That was about 6 years ago or thereabouts. I had them use the original needle, face and number wheels though. And anything else that didn't have to be replaced.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

thanks guys.. because John advertises inthe AMCA mag, thought i'd use him if he did good work. Thanks for the feedback and I'm sending it off to him tonight. Nice to have my original tombstone back on the bike this spring. Bike had a repop on it when I bought the bike last year and had this in a box...

Comment

John Bordas is the best address for us AMCA guys in the States!

Not only that he is an AMCA judge and knows exactly how to restore a motorcycle speedometer. He got a lot of original parts from the retiered Peter Heintz.
            I visited John a few times in his workshop and could see his excellent work. He is an extinguish craftsman with a fair pricing and good turnaround time. John works for most of the professionel restorers and dealers.
            Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Refurbish?

re·fur·bish (rē-fûr'bĭsh) Pronunciation Key
              tr.v. re·fur·bished, re·fur·bish·ing, re·fur·bish·es
              To make clean, bright, or fresh again; renovate.
              re·fur'bish·ment n.

Are you looking to restore or rebuild? Most any speedometer shop can service your speedometer. But to restore it correctly it need to go to John Bordas.
              Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

God da%m Chris you don't have any thing better to do then pick a word apart they restored it then anf they did a dam fine job all so

edit: John Bordas is not the only one that can correctly restore one
                Last edited by jmanjeff; 03-05-2009, 11:00 PM.
                Jeff Bowles
                Arkansas
                Membership # 14023
                1957 Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by jmanjeff View Post
                  God da%m Chris you don't have any thing better to do then pick a word apart they restored it then anf they did a dam fine job all so

edit: John Bordas is not the only one that can correctly restore one
                  Who else has the correct decals, Needles, glass and other parts necessary?
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    Refurbish?
                    re·fur·bish (rē-fûr'bĭsh) Pronunciation Key
                    tr.v. re·fur·bished, re·fur·bish·ing, re·fur·bish·es
                    To make clean, bright, or fresh again; renovate.
                    re·fur'bish·ment n.

Are you looking to restore or rebuild? Most any speedometer shop can service your speedometer. But to restore it correctly it need to go to John Bordas.
                    Chris, since you are in the critical mode again, I'll try to correct your grammar for you (at least the part that wasn't cut from somewhere else).

The first sentance is incomplete. The second sentance has grammar problems. The third sentance starts with "But" and is missing a comma. That is simply not acceptable here. You also forgot to mention that the nickel plating looks too shiny (or shiney as you call it).

Here is another way that you could perhaps write that last paragraph. Cheers!

Are you looking to restore or rebuild it? Most speedometer shops can service your speedometer. To restore it correctly, it needs to go to John Bordas.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Janous Napierla in Ontario, CAN. here. He has done some fine work for me in the past. I think he's still in business. I saw he had some stuff on ebay awhile back.

Comment

One problem with Janous (Speedo Rat) is that he passes off reproduction stuff as restored originals. For years I have been asking him to sell me a reproduction 1937 speedo face that doesn't have clear coat on it. He says his manufacturer in europe only makes them that way, which is incorrect.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Cris,
                          I have been using Janous for many years now and have had great luck with his products, I consider him the best and do not appreciate you badmouthing him by spreading untrue rumers. Let's see some proof that he passes off repro for original before you open your big mouth. He has been very honest and straitforward with me and I have tried all of the other speedo repair shops, except for John Bordus. What have you built lately that uses an original speedo, I have used more than 50 speedos from Janous in the last few years and have been pleased with them all. Once again I challenge you to add some salt to your lame accusations.
                          Carl
                          http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
                            Cris,
                            I have been using Janous for many years now and have had great luck with his products, I consider him the best and do not appreciate you badmouthing him by spreading untrue rumers. Let's see some proof that he passes off repro for original before you open your big mouth. He has been very honest and straitforward with me and I have tried all of the other speedo repair shops, except for John Bordus. What have you built lately that uses an original speedo, I have used more than 50 speedos from Janous in the last few years and have been pleased with them all. Once again I challenge you to add some salt to your lame accusations.
                            Carl

I wouldn't make a statement unless I had seen it. I have seen Speedo Rat try to sell a reproduced 1937 speedometer as an original. This was several years ago at Eustis. It was obvious that it was a reproduction bucket and not even the correct bucket for a 1937. Obviously he knows that you know what you are looking at and wouldn't try to pass off a repop on you.
                            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-11-2009, 06:29 AM.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

My first deal with Janous went like this: I was fairly new to the scene and an easy mark for an unscrupulous vendor. I had plans to restore a couple bikes and needed 2 restored speedos. One bike was a 40EL and the speedo on it was original and never opened. I also had another 41-46 style speedo that had been worked on at some point in the past and needed to be gone through again for a future restoration job. I handed both speedos to Janous at Davenport and asked him to take them home and restore them for me. He loooked at the original 40 speedo and said "I won't restore this!" He went on to say that this original speedo is worth as much as 2 restored ones. I told him that I was restoring a bike and even though the speedo worked it wouldn't look right on a restored bike. He told me that he would trade me a restored 40 speedo and restore my 41-46 unit for me and ship them both to me free if I would give him the original 40 speedo. That seemed like a good deal to me so we agreed. About a month later Fedex brought me my 2 speedos, one a beautifully restored 40 unit and an equally nice restored 41-46 unit, both with a 1 year warranty all at no charge, not even shipping. I was happy. Now if Janous wanted to screw somebody; here was his chance. He could have just as well taken my original 40 unit and kept it, sent me a restored one out of his stock, and charged me a couple hundred for restoring it and another couple hundred for restoring the 41-46 unit. I would have been out 4-500 bucks and not been any better off and been none the wiser. Since that time on I have respected the man and he will continue to get my speedo business. John Lindemann

Comment

Working...
                              X