No announcement yet.

vote here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote we keep it . . . maybe we need a moderator to keep the posts on point.

Comment

I have seen no solutions to fix this problem as of yet. so if we cant take care of this problem I still feel we should drop this thread. I do get annoyed that we are quick to post even tho some of us have no real knowlege of what actually transpired. there are 2 sides to this story. Im not sure a moderator (censure?) would work without making it worse however the jerry springer idea sounds like the best bet yet. I also find the previous comment about what other nonmebers are thinking of us to be a sobering thought. remember this is thier fight not ours.

Comment

I have changed my view on this matter in the last couple of weeks based upon the saddle thread (no pun intended). I have been critical of a vendor in the past on this website that now seems like a trivial matter to me. I regret that and intend to talk directly to the vendor face to face. It is too easy to take the respect out of any dealings when a person is sitting at a keyboard where you don't have to act within the acceptable bounds of our society.

I vote to get rid of this "rate the vendor" forum because their are usually two sides to every story, so if a vendor doesn't see the post, many folks could easily jump to the conclusion that the vendor's services are lacking by hearing one side of the story and not the rebutal.

Secondly, if a vendor does shoddy work/services, word will travel fast enough without this forum.

Last, these are people's livelyhood's were dealing with... wives, kids, grandkids, mortgages, etc... Put it this way, if one of us made a mistake in our own job, would we want the whole company to know of that mistake, or just the folks that needed to know.

Comment

vendors rated

keep it, it is usefull info, one way or the other.
          Ken S. #6457
          Ken S., # 6457
          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
            I have changed my view on this matter in the last couple of weeks based upon the saddle thread (no pun intended). I have been critical of a vendor in the past on this website that now seems like a trivial matter to me. I regret that and intend to talk directly to the vendor face to face. It is too easy to take the respect out of any dealings when a person is sitting at a keyboard where you don't have to act within the acceptable bounds of our society.

I vote to get rid of this "rate the vendor" forum because their are usually two sides to every story, so if a vendor doesn't see the post, many folks could easily jump to the conclusion that the vendor's services are lacking by hearing one side of the story and not the rebutal.

Secondly, if a vendor does shoddy work/services, word will travel fast enough without this forum.

Last, these are people's livelyhood's were dealing with... wives, kids, grandkids, mortgages, etc... Put it this way, if one of us made a mistake in our own job, would we want the whole company to know of that mistake, or just the folks that needed to know.
            Well said!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

VERY WELL SAID !
              Johnny Whitsett
              AMCA # 8626

Comment

Dump It !

I would vote to dump it as I see no real good that has come from it.

Word of mouth is a very powerful tool when used properly.

I feel that it is way to easy to have a hair sideways you know where.......and decide to trash others a person buying a product SHOULD ask questions and a vender SHOULD do the same.........it's called comunication.
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I vote that we keep the vendors rated forum.I would like to recommend 2 vendors that I have had excellent results from.One is International Chromium Plating for their cadmuim and parkerizing.They advertise in the AMCA magazine.The other is Charles Pieper in Ohio who sent me a very correct foot clutch rod that he makes.I heard of him through word of mouth.I mentioned Tom Faber's excellent work in another thread.
                  Ken Kalustian
                  AMCA # 2065

Comment

I don’t believe that closing down the “Vendors Rating” section here would solve much. Wouldn’t all the folks that want to bitch about something just move the discussion to the “Parking Lot Chatter” section?

These problems can only be resolved by the timely intervention of a moderator. Small fires are much easier to deal with. Most of the arguments here lately would have been forgotten about by now had they not been allowed to grow into what they have become.

Once again I will offer my time to the club and membership to keep an eye open around here. I may not be the most knowledgeable member here when it comes to antique motorcycles, but I sure do know all about pissing on small fires.
                    ------------
                    Steve
                    AMCA #7300

Comment

Just got a brain flatulation ... may not even be a good idea, it may be too convoluted and not a workable alternative, but thought I'd throw it out.

What about a vendor voting button (from 1 to 5) that each member only got to vote once for and was then locked out. Aside from that, no comments, or only positive comments could be made. Thereby, you'd get the opportunity to score a vendor low but one voice wouldn't be a difference maker ... it would take a number of disgruntled customers to influence the score significantly. Anyone could start a new vendor rated button with an initial vote, and others who saw the button pop up could join in either positive or negative. If Larry Hiel had 300 postives and two negatives, then the quality of his overall body of work would be reflected, and one or two difficult customers wouldn't threaten to ruin his reputation. If a vendor had 15 of 10 disgruntled customers, then I would be more likely to stear clear, or at the least, engage the "grapevine".

This might appeal to vendors more than the existing default "b*tch" method, but also not keep folks from sharing feedback in a way that is not out of proportion to their number (i.e., 1 of many). It may also be a way to generate interest in the site. I may or may not think of mentioning a vendor, but if I saw a vendor rated who I have dealt with, I would participate. While we often don't act unless our feathers are ruffled, I really do think that most of us enjoy sharing favorable feedback more than negative. This would prompt us to do so. Just my 2.5 cents.
                      Vic Ephrem
                      AMCA #2590

Comment

that sounds like a workable solution, not a brain fart but a good idea!

Comment

You can start a Poll but what is to stop some one from posting to the Thread. We will still need a moderators. Maybe if we can put 40 Nucks idea and and some of my post #17 http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t=13475&page=2 togeather we may have something
                          Jeff Bowles
                          Arkansas
                          Membership # 14023
                          1957 Sportster

Comment

You're right, Jeff ... would still need moderators to keep bad stuff off.
                            Vic Ephrem
                            AMCA #2590

Comment

I like the voting button idea. I could always private message a voter if I wanted more details.
                              Terry "Pigpen" Gambill
                              AMCA #4386
                              Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Shovelhead forum?

Originally posted by mmoore View Post
                                we voted a shovelhead forum in here a while back (thanks) lets see how the members feel about this thread and if we should save it , change it or can it. its too bad as there is some good in it, but I feel we should can it
                                if this is about the shovelhead forum, KEEP IT, i just bought a shovel and need a place to turn. the vendors rated seems like a good idea till it turns to a pissing match, but its nice to see that the moderators are moderating.....

Comment

Working...
                                X