• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Swan
    replied
    Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Thanks, Duffey!

But that's far from reality this minute, Folks;
    Even if I locked the doors immediately and started liquidating online, that wouldn't be 'retirement'.

That would be another career.

....Cotten
    "Retirement" is just another word for something else to do.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Congrats Cotton...Enjoy some freedom !
    Thanks, Duffey!

But that's far from reality this minute, Folks;
    Even if I locked the doors immediately and started liquidating online, that wouldn't be 'retirement'.

That would be another career.

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• duffeycycles
    replied
    Congrats Cotton...Enjoy some freedom !

Leave a comment:

• Robert Luland
    replied
    Retirement

Adiós, Adieu, Addio, Adeus, aloha, Auf Wiedersehen, Bon Voyage, Sayonara, Shalom, Vale, Good bye, Ciao baby!
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 09-14-2018, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Retirement, Pa!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2018, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paps
    replied
    Can you say what is up Tom ?

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Moratorium time, Folks!

Liberty can only offer float and manifold service until further notice.

Benches must be cleared.

Thanks for this valuable forum,
    and thanks to all who have supported my efforts all these years,

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2018, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Luland
    replied
    Maybe if you stay off the six or so forums your still allowed on you'd get something done? Your buddy, Bob

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Sorry to be annoying Folks,..

But due to overwhelming demand, ALL new carburetor servicing requests cannot be tended until Spring, and maybe thereafter.

I'm only human,...

Again,
    Many thanks for this useful forum,

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-09-2017, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Six sandwiches short of a full picnic basket!
    Due to overwhelming demand, Folks,..

Liberty will be refusing new accounts after Davenport, except for carburetor float and manifold service requests...

Many thanks for this useful forum,

.....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-14-2017, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Luland
    replied
    Six sandwiches short of a full picnic basket!

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Just bumping this with an update, Folks,

Other than cutting floats and manifold seals, Liberty must now curtail accepting any new work until after the Davenport Meet, even from established accounts.

Thanks for your patience,

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-14-2017, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Nobody has messed it up more than me, Wmnmy!

Money up front would only rob me of what little sleep I get.
    Its not about getting good work in, its about getting good work out.

I finally finished up a half-dozen GXs that came in as pure fossils, and it took three years. (I hope the owner is still alive....)
    Skilled TIGmeisters have become as scarce as honest politicians around here, and they don't want to do the sculpting. Everything comes down to more art than science.
    One major problem with the GXs and potmetal DLXs is that the HS needles never aim at the seat, as per http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ghspeed+needle
    I now make internal needle guides from PEEK to remedy this issue, but they are tedious to cut and index. It turns out that they cannot be machined concentric, but intentionally skewed, and only several tries can get it close enough.

I would have priced myself out of the market long ago, if it were not for very serious customers with serious resources.

....Cotten
    PS: Registering for ebay over the Holidays has been downright tragic.
    It can only get worse if I sell...
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wmnmy
    replied
    Sorry to hear people messed it up for us cotton who would gladly pay up front even if it's over what it actually takes as I have a original Linkert I needed serviced by you after hearing from all the great post especially from Robbie who's word I trust ...I would not feel comfortable sending it to someone I know nothing about...

Leave a comment:

• ryan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubone View Post
    Cotten,
    Guapo means handsome or "good looking", not what you were trying to say I would surmise...

Ryan,
    I call BS on your rant. There are lots of good deals out there and it isn't the realm of old rich guys. I've never made more than a low income living all my life (my choice) and find plenty of old junk to keep me occupied. If you can't find it, you aren't really looking or don't know what you are looking at. And I find the biggest increase in prices has been caused by the young guys into the fad bobber scene who have driven the price of 45s and BT flatheads and Knuckles through the roof, not the rich guys. Prices are all about supply and demand, not income level. High end collectors are not looking for projects....

Robbie,
    The thing is, I do know what I am looking for and looking at. I am not talking about the high end collectors. I am talking about the window in with I came into this world, meaning the guys about ten years older than me were able to get the real deals and the prices were up big time before I was able to jump in. The so called deals I run across are bikes of used up parts being thrown together and trying to be sold as barn fresh bikes.
    I do not know what type of projects you run onto, but my lack of is not from the lack of looking, but maybe what I am looking for. For instance one of my bikes I have is a Frankenstein bike that is a 1965 with a 38 knuckle and 38 tranny and 38 wheels that has 1954 panheads on it. I have everything to put the 65 together, but an engine that I cannot find. So then I am left with the 38 parts that needs everything. I may as well put aftermarket barrels and heads on it as well as an aftermarket frame and front end. Point being, that I would have well over 20 grand completing both bikes. I do not think these prices are caused by the young guys. I do not see very many young guys selling at the meets.
    As far as a chief goes, 20 grand for a possible runner that needs another ten grand put in it. Again, please help me understand what kind of pieces you are working with? I just noticed that the prices went through the roof again when people started cashing in 401ks.

It is not a rant as much as it is a reality.
    Last edited by ryan; 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X