Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever built a straight 6 motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sixes are all very cool, and a major tribute to their creators. Although still a 4our, one of my favorites is the Alma 4 out of Denmark recently. It utilizes an air cooled car engine, that the builder, creator; Mads, fashioned all new oil pans etc, to represent the finned glory of the Indians of the '30s. Since finished, the bike can be seen touring about Europe. Mads is on some very exciting top-secret projects now that are destined to keep us all in awe; much like the creators of these fine sixes.
    Stay tuned, RF.

Comment

here's an inline perversion i started years ago and never finished
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Hey Lonnie,
        Is it front wheel drive, or rear? Cool hub on one of those ends! I love the center hub, Ner-a-car/Militaire steering. I'm in the middle of a right-side up, fuel injected '36 4our now, but am experiencing financial difficulties at the moment. Ask Ricky about my DOHC V8 coffee table that just got indoctranated in the living room. It's I-talian.
        Cool stretch marks in the middle of the frame here. Looks like it's built for both comfort, and speed?
        Thanks, RF.
        PS. Shop sure looks clean!

Comment

Sirhr
          The only reason to build your 6 cylinder dream machine is because you cant help yourself.In that case its ok its a mental release.I talk from expirence.In 1955 I repowered my 37 ford 60 with a 85 at the same time the cover picture on mechanics illustrated had a picture of a ford 60 powered Indian.This gear head mechanic in Texsas had a Indian 4 with a shelled out engine wich in 1955 was a junk bike ya couldnt get parts for.There were loads of Ford 60s around.He did his with a angle drive right off the engine hooked to a harley primary and 4 speed.The beast would run 90 in second gear.Well being a 15 year old kid
          I dreamed of building one only with a more sanatry drive.Well the years went past and ocasionaly would see a 60 powered bike pop up but always direct drive.Then after priortys in life change and being able to spend time and money on motorcycles that old 60 bike dream became more reacuring.Finally I acuired a rebuildable 60 with the intent of puting in a Indian.Now I can you tell youthat this is not rational thinking.What are you going to do with such a monster.SO much for being rational.Turn to the June page of the AMCA 2011 calendar and look at the border picture of my Franken Cycle.I finaly built my reacuring dream.It takes time ond money even if it was fun to do.It has a BMW cycle drive train and
          a SU sidedraft carb.I switched to Harley parts to save money.
          Elton
          Last edited by elt; 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Lonnie, I thought I saw the Ner-A-Car on steroids on ebay a while back. I'm glad you still have it and hope you finish it some day.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

This isn't probably what you had in mind, but an impressive effort nonetheless.
              http://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/motorcycle.html

Steve
              Attached Files
              Steve

Comment

Hello,

This is the article about a Ford Flathead 60 hp V-8-powered Indian, from the February 1954 issue of Cycle magazine:

Take care,

Steve Bryson

Comment

Starting with a stock, water-cooled inline automobile six sounds like the home-built that magazine publisher Buzz Walneck bought years ago. He still has it, as far as I know. He didn't build it, but he knows the whole story of the man who built and rode it all over the country, and created a poster for it. Some Plymouth, or Mopar of some ancestry, I think, and about 15 feet long, with all the home-made front end, plumbing and cetera. A true monster, looking a hundred percent home built, but reportedly runs pretty good!
                  Gerry Lyons #607
                  http://www.37ul.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

It was a Chevy Six. The same guy also built them using the OHV four cylinder Chevy II engines.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

This white, Flatty V8 version, the same one on the cover of The Aug. 1955 Mechanix Illustratrated, is currently being restored in So. Cal.
                      RF.

Comment

Me thinks the bike you guys are speaking of has a Plymouth six. An inline flatty. Chevs were OHV.
                        RF.

Comment

I am talking about the bike that was in the poster back in the '70's or '80's. It was definitely a Chevy.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Plymouth

Fred, Your right! It was a flathead Plymouth. I've seen the machine in question up close and personal.
                            DrSprocket

Comment

Rich, where is that Plymouth cycle? I always thought it was the hairiest, and also the best looking car engined motorcycle. As I recall, it was built to win a speed prize.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                                I am talking about the bike that was in the poster back in the '70's or '80's. It was definitely a Chevy.
                                Perhaps you're speaking of that giant bike with the Nazi helmetted charactor? "A little traveling music please" was the quote? I never paid any attention to that one.
                                My current favorite is the Alma 4our out of Denmark. It uses an air cooled NSU inline 4our engine, and is patterned after an early Indian. It's a rocket, and it handles superbly.
                                RF.

Comment

Working...
                                X