Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever built a straight 6 motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever built a straight 6 motorcycle?

Wondering if anyone has ever built/attempted to build a motorcycle around a straight 6 motor. Not mounted like a CBX or the new BMW... but done inline with the frame.

There have been lots of V8's... all the way back to Glenn Curtiss. But has anyone tried to do a Straight 6 motorcycle? Were any marketed or sold?

The configuration would be much tougher than a V8, which is very compact. Would make for a long frame... tall. Controls (handlebars) would be interesting to reach back to the seat. But someone must have done it way back in the distant, anything goes early days of motorcycling.

Any pictures would be appreciated. Right now, trying to see if such a configuration is possible.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sirhr, it's definitely possible. More than one Henderson has seen additional cylinders installed. The late Carl Vandre even built V-8 Henderson! You can see some photos here... http://www.hendersonkj.com/carl-vandre/index.html
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I recall a picture/story of a guy that built a 6 cylinder Indian some time ago. I'm going to have to start digging through my books and magazines and see what I can turn up.

Comment

How soon we forget. Perhaps the creators of the Golden Age of our Club made a few of these in-line sixes. Herb Ottaway of Kansas built his "Super Six" back in the '50s, then his friend/neighbor Bud Cox build one also. Various Hendersons followed from others.
        While visiting Sr Morbidelli (the creator of the well known Italian V8 bike) a few years ago, I got to see his V-12 proto-type, on his desk, in his office. The engine was no larger than an old Honda 750 on the exterior!
        These are the guys that are rocking our world. These are the guys who really did something with our old stuff.
        Howard Wagner still goes out on a limb with some of his creations (automatic tranmission on a shaft drive 4our). Also Bob Stark over saw an automatic trannied Indian 4. He let me ride it. There was nothing to do for the left foot!

We're running out of heroes.
        RF.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
          We're running out of heroes.
          RF.
          You can say that again...
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

These's a Chrysler Valiant 6 cyl, hemi engined bike running around here in NZ.
            It has a 2 speed powerglide for a transmission.
            I think you guys would know the motor as being out of a Plymouth Fury.
            The last time I saw it, it was fitted with a triple side sucker Weber carb set-up off the E38 Charger.
            I don't think I have any photos but I'm looking.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo! I bet that it's a wild looking beast!!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Here's the V6 and V8 Henderson's of Carl Vandre
                I took these photos at Davenport in 2003
                Attached Files
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

The Super Six

Here's a shot of the Ottaway Super Six.
                  I got to ride it at the Sunflower Chapters Finning Party. Amazing motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney View Post
                    Here's a shot of the Ottaway Super Six.
                    I got to ride it at the Sunflower Chapters Finning Party. Amazing motorcycle.
                    That's the one I remember reading about.

Comment

When I was in high school, I started to build a motorcycle around a 230 c.i. six cyl out of a '63 Chevy II. I used a 3 speed tranny. I mounted the motor and tranny in the frame that I built. I hadn't thought it through enough, because I didn't leave enough room between the CB750 fork and the frame to mount a radiator. After some head scratching, I found girls (and a stock CB750) more interesting and lost interest in the project. After moving away from home, my dad sold the pile to a kid that needed the motor. I'd like to think all that time building it didn't go to waste, but I still make bonehead mistakes. Good luck if you build one, and think it through!

Comment

"Good luck if you build one and think it through."

You guys are on to me... And I am not sure if I am going to do one or not. This is all part of the 'thinking through' part. But it's an itch that needs scratching at some point, perhaps.

I have this fully-restored (needs final assembly) line bored, done 6-cyl motor sitting in the shop with no place to go. Problem is that it's large... And low-revving, which is not good for MC. And water cooled. And heavy. And wide. with a deep (unfinned) sump. It would need a pair of radiators like a Scott or something. But it's way, way cool for an MC. I also have a trans for it, but that would probably make the package way too big/long. I think it would have to be direct drive.

So doing a lot of thinking and head scratching. The Indian picture was most inspirational and helpful. But, damn, I don't think I am that good.... (where have all the hero's gone??? I don't fit that category!) I also don't want something that ends up like Road Dog.

Cheers and thanks for the input. Keep the photos coming! That's what I need more than anything because they give ideas!

Sirhr

Comment

six cylinder

Dick Winger also had a six cylinder motorcycle either a Henny or an Indian. Carl Vandre did the motor. i believe it was the machine that was built by a gentleman back in the sixties with the initals S and M. Possibly Sal was his first name. It was pictures in the 70's AMCA mags.
                          DrSprocket

Comment

Bud Cox built a 6 cylinder Indian as well. He was inspried by his long time friend, Herb Ottaway's Super 6. Bud is an incredibly talented, and modest man who has done remarkable things in life. I wish he would have become an active member of this forum because he has a million great stories and a real talent for telling them.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

The first in line 6 I'm aware of was a Henderson done in the '30s. I have photos of the bike from the day including the motor. It was a 1928 Chicago Park Police bike. John Scharle, a legendary Hen owner and a very early AMCA member participated in the build. The bike still exists but hasn't been to an AMCA meet for many years. I believe this bike was the inspiration for the later creations, taken the farthest by the equally legendary Carl Vandre.

Comment

Working...
                              X