Teens photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
    Can someone who knows how to play with images on the computor have a look at the above image and see what they can make out.
    I think it looks more like SG than 26 but I would like a better pair of eyes than mine to voice an opinion.
    The reason I asked about the vin. number, it is my understanding that Harley did not put the year at the front of the vin. until 1928,so 1926-27 vin. numbers started with a model letter ,like ( B 1441,BA 1441,A 1441,AA 1441)where as 1928 on up models are, 28 B 1441.
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

I'd definitely rule out a "2" it's kind of hard to get a real good read on the first characters but here's what I have for now. I can't seem to get it much larger without blurring the image. It has me wishing we had a more computer savvy dude hangin' around. I looked at it through a magnifying glass and it's really hard to tell for sure at this point but it could be an S.

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Now don't shoot me....I used a magnafier along with my glasses but I think it is S 6 SA Maybe 6 then 31 so S6 SA 631 ???
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

or can it be, 36 SA 631, it would fall in line with the parts on bike,28 on up forks,28 on up front brakes,30's frame,30 on up short tanks,and it looks like they used 2 front fenders.
          Thoughts ?
          Ken S., # 6457
          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
            or can it be, 36 SA 631, it would fall in line with the parts on bike,28 on up forks,28 on up front brakes,30's frame,30 on up short tanks,and it looks like they used 2 front fenders.
            Thoughts ?
            Ken,
            The photo was taken years before 1936. This is a well known machine. Contact Matt at Wheels Through Time and he can read the number from the bike and put an end to guessing. Here is what I found when I googled Wolery Bullet. "The Woolery Bullet, the only name, other than Harley-Davidson, ever to be put on a gas tank from the factory. The Woolery Bullet also deviates from the norm as it has a lower frame and a vertical generator, all from the factory. A true one-off factory custom. Dale has all the documentation and photos from the Motor Company to back up this claim."
            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              Ken,
              The photo was taken years before 1936. This is a well known machine. Contact Matt at Wheels Through Time and he can read the number from the bike and put an end to guessing. Here is what I found when I googled Wolery Bullet. "The Woolery Bullet, the only name, other than Harley-Davidson, ever to be put on a gas tank from the factory. The Woolery Bullet also deviates from the norm as it has a lower frame and a vertical generator, all from the factory. A true one-off factory custom. Dale has all the documentation and photos from the Motor Company to back up this claim."
              Chris,
              The photo's I am talking about are the Harley single,not the Twin.
              Ken S., # 6457
              1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
              1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Chris it seems you are playing games with us as when I googled Woolery Bullet it went to an S&S forum of 2008 where the same discussion had taken place with you as the ringmaster.
                It transpired that this bike was ordered by a Mr Woolery through the then Minneapolis HD dealer Guy Webb and was dispatched on the 20th June 1933.
                1931 engine in a 1933 Model B frame. So a special order machine to the customers specs.

Ken comments are in relation to the pictures of the Peashooter that you posted with the 26 SA 631 number.

Now that we know that the image number 13514 of the Woolery Bullet is most likely sometime in June 1933 we can deduce that images 11129 and 11130 are sometime before that date.
                Subtract 11130 from 13514 and we have a difference of 2384 images.

Chris from your comments you state that the Pohlman photograph log you have starts in June 1934 so can you please have a look and give us some idea on average how many images were taken per year and then we can work backwards to try and get an idea when that photo may have been taken.
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Dale at WTT. He is the current owner of the Wolery Bullet and has all the scoop on it. It is indeed a '31 engine in a '33 frame. I was confused by the factory photo that looked like 26 to me. (The memory is the second thing to go). It is a one off special built by H-D during the depression. It was ordered through Guy Webb's dealership. It is the only bike to ever leave the factory with a name other than Harley-Davidson on it.
                  Could the first digits of the single be 3G? The number 11129 and 11130 fall in line with the late 1929 early 1930 model photos
                  Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM.
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris,
                    I'd question 26 SA631 as being correct.
                    Firstly the bike is fitted with a front wheel brake that first appeared in 1928 and secondly SA is the prefix for a countershaft model.
                    SM would be the correct prefix for a gearbox model.
                    I have a nos set of those racer handlebars that still has the factory tag hanging off them with a -28 part number
                    Sorry to be picky but my guess is a 1928/29 SM model.
                    Excellent pictures though and thanks for posting them Chris.
                    Here is something I just received from Jerry Hatfield, " I looked at my Pohlman original of a Peashooter TT bike (11129) and my interpretation of the engine number is 28 SA 531. Also, I believe "SA" denoted Schebler barrel-valve carburetor. Somebody opined that "SA" denoted counter-shaft transmission".
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

i always thought single alcohol.
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I'm with Rob. Dale's 1921 factory Harley blanked off twin racer at WTT has an SCA (single cylinder alcohol) motor number. Maybe the factory dropped the C for the purpose built single racers in 26.
                        David Morrill
                        Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                        AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                        Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

20 plus years ago I owned a 1928 overhead valve single street version - If I remember it was a model BA. And a flathead version was a model B.
                          I thought then the 'A' denoted the overhead valve version - does the same apply for the racers
                          or am I in left field on this

I wish I still had that bike
                          aka HAWG
                          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                          1940 indian chief military
                          1965 sportster xlch
                          1969 sportster xlch bobber
                          1971 bsa A65 chopper
                          1969 harley ss350 sprint
                          1960 harley topper
                          1963 harley topper
                          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                          1959 harley model 165
                          1960 harley super 10
                          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

28 sa 531

My interpretation of my original print (Pohlman 11129) is a motor number of 28 SA 531. Somewhere I read that "SA" on the racers indicated Schebler barrel valve carburetor.

Chris,
                            I'd question 26 SA631 as being correct.
                            Firstly the bike is fitted with a front wheel brake that first appeared in 1928 and secondly SA is the prefix for a countershaft model.
                            SM would be the correct prefix for a gearbox model.
                            I have a nos set of those racer handlebars that still has the factory tag hanging off them with a -28 part number
                            Sorry to be picky but my guess is a 1928/29 SM model.
                            Excellent pictures though and thanks for posting them Chris.
                            Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Working...
                            X