Thanks it has been fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks it has been fun

Hi, just thought I'd take the time to thank all who have helped me in the past. I have to admit that for a number of years I only lurked in the background, finding the information I needed as it was asked by another member. I have been a member of the AMCA on and off between 3 and 4 times, I only signed back up last time so I could access photos and such. I am 54 years old and have been around these machines for 40 years at the least I must admit to being a bit of a hermit so much of my dismay at actively participating in the full process may very well just be me I have let my membership lapse before because of the looked down upon feeling I have received at Eustis and other events, this has become a rich mans sport and I feel no welcome offered. No offense to anyone, it is what it is, I will go back to lurking if I can and to another site if I can't. Later all, and thanks for the help it was fun Neil 74. Nov. 15 is coming up and I won't be renewing membership.

Neil even though I will be paying my dues again this year I refuse to submit to the new rules that govern this forum Im not quite sure why we need the change and if my membership number is not good enough so be it! Im also out of here ,hope everyone has a fun time in the forum !

Comment

Neil,
      Don't let the guys with the $1,500.00 German Paper photos get you down. This club is full of hard working guys who have to scrimp and save to buy their next part. Not every member was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. The ones I dislike are the one that make buying and selling original parts a business instead of working. They buy something for a couple hundred bucks and resell it for many times that amount. That drives the cost of this hobby out of the hands of many who can't afford the big bucks. I certainly can't afford to buy an antique motorcycle. I take years to buy parts when I can afford them to build my next bike.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Well said Chris!
        Pete Cole AMCA #14441
        1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Sorry to hear that Neil, many poor folks still around and in the hobby - for awhile anyways. As you not meaning to offend, just a heads up. You might not be interested at all, but if you love or like antique vehicle's - as most of us do. You might want to look into model T's, they are real time machines and they are far more resonably priced. I got one when my Dad got to sick to ride anymore, they are lot's of fun and most folks can still afford to pay the prices of parts and or car's. Even better, at swap's you can find and afford parts and they even make almost everything - for a fraction of the cost of a HD or an Indian. Just thought I would pass it on, the prices and the people and the dependablity of the T's has made me a real fan - plenty AMCA members have one in my neck of the wood's. Only negative - they take up to much room in the garage :-) anyways good luck.

Comment

Neil, you should reconsider. You may never own a 1908 Harley but you can have a lot of fun with any motorcycle. I too quit the AMCA many years ago, and for many of the same reasons as you. I thought the AMCA was turning into a country club and it seemed like the old familiar faces were being replaced by young, wealthy snobs. It was true, the AMCA was changing, but many of the new people were just like me and had to work hard for what they had. As for the forum changes; don't fall prey to the crazy talk of paranoid conspiracy nuts.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Neil,
              Quitting is for quitters........You say that you "feel no welcome offered" , well you are seeing many people tell you you are welcome. If you don't like the way the club is, I encourage you to become more involved, join a chapter, get into helping at the meets, and do something to change the things you don't like. When I joined over 20 years ago, I thought it was a bunch of "good old boys club" back then. The longer i'm a member the more good people I run into....and wouldn't change it for nothing.

You can't just be all "sour grapes" about people that have made more money than you. I doesn't accomplish a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                don't fall prey to the crazy talk of paranoid conspiracy nuts.
                Yep.....just stick your head in the sand, and wear blinders as many here elect too, in disbelief because it can't and won't happen here, said the German civilian population during the late 30's to mid 40's......

Comment

My decision to not comply with the new forum policies does not deter me from remaining a club member. I have not chosen to drop my membership in the club. I am just standing my ground on the new forum posting regulations based on plain common sense in the web realm of identity protection. Hackers will get in and they will obtain information. They will follow that information right on down through the links into the main AMCA data base. Once there.... they will access the personal and banking information, contained within it's data base of members, who have used credit and debit cards for payment of renewal membership statis, calenders etc... It won't take long before I can say " I told you so".. Yeah....more nut talk....

Comment

Neil, I don’t blame you a bit. When a pair of trousers no longer fits, its time to toss them in the rag pile. Follow your heart Bro.

Paps, Your wasting your breath on dead ears.
                    Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 10-31-2010, 09:32 AM.
                    ------------
                    Steve
                    AMCA #7300

Comment

all the best to ya paps, it's been a pleasure reading your posts on this forum. after nov 15 i won't be allowed on the forum because i don't plan on handing out any more personal info than i already have, and that's ok with me i know the rules and though i disagree with em i'll play by em. i will however renew my membership in the club because overall i think it's a good value and that MOST members are decent folks.

Comment

paps i have never told somebody before they are wrong but you are so wrong about the hackers show me one person who lost his bank acount from hackers and i'll say i'm sorry.most club members hope some rich bastard buy's his bike.i think you guys hit the halloween candy to soon.
                        rob ronky #10507
                        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

When times were difficult for me I could not refrain from my bike passions (variety/ridding/tinkering). I turned to affordable bikes and still had a blast. Honda CB 350's. I purchased several CB 350's for 25 bucks. Show up on one of thee little hot rods and you can laugh with the best as they tell you of their trips many years ago "across the country on one of those twice".

I once road a CB 350 to Wauseon Ohio and had a real hoot with many people coming up to me telling me of their experiences with these little jewels. I don't like and may not participate in the new web either but will not allow my membership to expire. Tom said it best and got it right Quitting is for Quiters. I better get busy finishing up my cannonball article.
                          Joe

Comment

It will all work out.Go for a ride!,Turn a wrench,Call or talk to riding buddy face to face.Too much reliance on computers anyway.
                            Think how you did it before these things.
                            Lifes to short ,Have fun.
                            Last edited by chibobber; 10-31-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                              paps i have never told somebody before they are wrong but you are so wrong about the hackers show me one person who lost his bank acount from hackers and i'll say i'm sorry.most club members hope some rich bastard buy's his bike.i think you guys hit the halloween candy to soon.
                              Rob, you are wrong. I had my personal info stolen from a car club that I was a member of. They hacked the computers and got my credit card number. It went undetected for almost two weeks because the losers were pulling $99 cash advances every two days from someplace in Miami. The car club put out a notice that their info had been "compromised". I got my money back, but still, it shouldn't have happened. To think it couldn't happen here is being very naive. There are people that are making their life's work on how to steal your money.

Comment

Working...
                              X