Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP ID rear double band style brake looks early????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ID rear double band style brake looks early????

anyone know what this is ?year make model??? THANKS
    Attached Files

Just guessing but my first thought was early servicar. Paps

Comment

Looks Excelsior to me.
      1915 and earlier were different from the 1916 on ones but it will take an Excelsior expert and not me to tell you exactly what you have.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I believe the inner brake is an expanding band and the outer is a contracting band. I had a 1921 Indian with a brake set up very similiar to this one. The foot brake worked the inner and the hand brake worked the outer band on the outside of the brake drum. Can't say for 100% certain,
        but thats my guess........Rod

Comment

I have a 1917 HD with that rear brake. The external brake had a lever on the right side of the handlebars. The few I have seen place the lever on the left side. Its nice having an extra brake but its still not much. I use it when I am stopped and want to hold the bike in place. I can send a few photos if you want.

Comment

It also looks a lot like the brake that a '16 Powerplus should have. I have a pretty rough copy of the parts book and an attempt at a scan turned out too poor to post but it sure looks close. A friend sent me this pic and it appears to be similar. I'm thinking it's a good chance that quite a few companies used this brake.

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by DEWGARINC View Post
              anyone know what this is ?year make model??? THANKS
              that looks like the brake used on export models, they called for two brakes and american bikes only had rear brakes. they just added another system to the existing rear brake, great for sidecar use. have a friend with a 25 Chief and Flexi sidecar with this setup
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
              X