X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We just lost a Made in USA motorcycle

Polaris Moves Production To Mexico
    Wisconsin Plant To Close
    In what Polaris Industries bills as "an effort to improve its long-term competitive positioning, increase operational efficiencies and position the company for future growth," the company will shift production from the company's Osceola, Wis., plant to existing facilities in Roseau, Minn., and Spirit Lake, Iowa. In addition, Polaris will establish a new facility in Mexico.

The company is currently evaluating several possible locations in the Monterrey/Saltillo area of Mexico for the new facility. This move is said to allow the company to dedicate capital for strategic investments in painting, welding and assembly operations by outsourcing certain non-strategic component manufacturing processes. The Mexico facility is expected to maintain Polaris' industry-leading quality while improving the company's on-time delivery to customers and provide significant savings in logistical and production costs.

"While this was a difficult decision for us, given the impact on our employees at the Osceola facility, we believe the creation of these manufacturing centers of excellence will strengthen our company over the long-term and enable us to maintain our lead in a competitive market," says Scott Wine, CEO, Polaris Industries. "Pursuing opportunities in new markets outside the United States while concurrently evaluating our cost structure to improve our long-term competitive positioning are key components to our growth strategy. This decision was based on a thorough review of our worldwide operations and will allow us to improve our ability to meet the quality, delivery and cost standards desired by our dealers and customers."

Snowmobile assembly will remain in the Roseau facility, and Victory motorcycle assembly will remain in the Company's Spirit Lake facility. As part of the manufacturing realignment, certain Osceola manufacturing processes will be moved into the Roseau, Spirit Lake and Mexico facilities.

The realignment will begin immediately and is scheduled to be complete in 2012. The company will look to have the new production facility in Mexico operational beginning in the first half of 2011. Spokeswoman Marlys Knutson says the Wisconsin plant currently employs 515 people, who will be allowed to apply for jobs at the other Polaris facilities or with companies that continue producing parts in Osceola.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

That is too bad, especially for the people that will be out of work. But, with the new open borders and world order, we are all one, right? NAFTA sucks because it has been all a one way out of the country with our manufacturers. I don't see many Mexican companies moving here. Flip side of that is the company has to turn a profit, and most are competing with the Asian imports that don't have the union labor, so they have an advantage.

Comment

This was announced last week locally here in Wisconsin. Anywhere from 500 to 800 people are losing their jobs in a town of 2,400. It was a bit of a shock.

You gotta wonder what they will do for advertising. They have been implying for years with their ads that their motorcycles and ATV's have a higher percentage of US made parts than any other US manufacturer.

Also I was reading on the internet a few weeks ago that one of the big problems in Mexico is that companies that moved there 25 years ago are now moving to China and elsewhere.

Jerry

Comment

Glad I didn't buy one!
        Mike

Comment

Jerry is exactly right, all the US plants that crossed the Mexican border to be competitive a couple decades ago are all gone. Either to China or India. Towns along the border on both sides have some of the highest unemployment rates and are ripe for the drug traffickers. I don't see Polaris lasting in Mexico. The news last night was that the Federal Police were trying to arrest the mayor of Cancun for money laundering and being in an arrangement with the drug cartels. Maybe the new model will be the Victory Zeta, it could come with interchangeable VINs and secret compartments!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

NAFTA is Treason, it's all a Race to the Bottom for companies here in the US. quality is never a consideration in places like mexico or china. there has up grown a whole corperate cottage industry where US companies have entire departments that do nothing but figure out who's job can be shipped out next....i hope one day to see those bastards hang, i'll kick out the chair myself.

Comment

You are right Sludge, NAFTA was an anti-American agreement that has put America to sleep for the rest of my life and probably 3 or 4 more generations. . . If it ever comes back. I'll never buy anything with the Polaris brand.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I'll never buy anything with the Polaris brand.
                I wouldn't have anyways. They are fugly.

Comment

It goes to show you that the world is flat.
                  Denise

Comment

Any Senator that voted for NAFTA should be hung for treason, why is our government selling us out? I hate to be cynical but we need a revolution....

Comment

being canadian nafta helps the americans out by being able to purchase canadian products at a lower cost to sell to you americans at an inflated cost ( still lower than in canada )

point in case - gasoline canada 95 cents per litre
                      america 3.00 per gallon (note there are 4.4 litres in a gallon)
                      .90 X 4.4 = 3.96

gas is produced in the town I live in, I see american trucks hauling across the boarder to sell to you americans, I also see canadians crossing to buy our gas back because it is cheaper

aka HAWG
                      1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                      1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                      1940 indian chief military
                      1965 sportster xlch
                      1969 sportster xlch bobber
                      1971 bsa A65 chopper
                      1969 harley ss350 sprint
                      1960 harley topper
                      1963 harley topper
                      H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                      H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                      1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                      1959 harley model 165
                      1960 harley super 10
                      1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                      EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Originally posted by MJW View Post
                        Any Senator that voted for NAFTA should be hung for treason, why is our government selling us out? I hate to be cynical but we need a revolution....
                        Answer...... 666

Comment

Originally posted by MJW View Post
                          NAFTA was put through by the Democratic Majority Congress that was in under President George H. W. Bush.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Clinton started it rolling, remember the squirrelly guy Perot warning us at the debates Canada seems to be helping ship a lot of the Chinese garbage here while our manufacturers are going under.

Comment

Simple fix no revolution needed. If everyone does not vote for incumbents and trys to elect anyone who is not a democrat or republican this mess can be fixed. Polaris Motorcycles are ugly but they were American made. Also I believe all of the Polaris Liberty snowmobile engines are produced at this Wisconsin plant. These were very good sled motors. I have 24,000 miles on my 2002 and that is a whole bunch for a snowmobile. I will never buy a new one if the engine is Mexican made! Years ago I broke a head bolt on my 40EL near Roseau Mn. on a Sunday morning while going to Sturgis. Long story but this is where the Main Polaris factory is. I could not find anyone local that had a Knucklehead head bolt but did find a guy who worked for Polaris. He called a friend who came into the factory and made me a couple of headbolts. I was down most of the day but still got back on the road and have been partial to Polaris ever since.

Bob Patza

Comment

Working...
                              X