No announcement yet.

The Great Indian v Harley Race - Yosemite 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've started to receive Registrations for the Great Indian V Harley Race 2011!

Noted Indian Motorcycle & Harley Davidson Author/Historian Jerry Hatfield has sent in his registration and will be attending. (If you have any of his books, bring them along and I'm sure you can get him to autograph them for you!)

Also Peter Arundel from Melbourne Australia who started "The Great Race", 18 years ago in Australia has mentioned he is planing on flying over for this inaugural US event!

So keep those registrations coming, it' shaping up to be a very fun event!

Comment

I just came back from my trip to Yosemite this past weekend. I went and met fellow club members Matt Blake and Gary Smalz. We spent the weekend planning the exact routes for "The Great Indian V Harley Race 2011".

We've found some nice roads for the event. Two of the roads we will be ridding on are considered some of the best motorcycling roads in California. We will be riding, the mini dragon which is located between Mariposa and Coulterville. This was a fun road! On our first day, we rode 300 miles planning routes.

Our planned rides:
      Day 1 - May 12 - 1/2day ride
      3 options: 60miles, 90miles, 120 miles - Oakhurst to Mammoth Pool - Although the miles don't seem long the road is a 30mph road with all the twistys. The 120 takes you all the way to Mammoth Pool, while the other two options stop at checkpoints before Mammoth Pool.
      Coasting Event, and a timed mileage section will be on the agenda for this day.

Day 2 - May 13th
      120 miles from Oakhurst to Yosemite Park
      Visit the Big Trees
      Tunnel Overlook
      Bridal Falls
      Lunch at picnic area inside Yosemite
      Ride to Midpines then Back to Oakhurst
      Evening: Load tour bus for trip to Fish Camp for New York Steak Dinner and ride on the Sugar Pine Narrow Gauge Steam Railroad.

Day 3 - May 14 120-150 miles
      Ride from Oakhurst to Mariposa
      Mariposa to Coulterville - Ride the mini Dragon - awesome road!
      Lunch at Coulterville Cafe
      Coultervile to LaGrange
      Lagrange to Horitas
      Horitas to Oakhurst
      Evening: Banquet dinner at Elks Lodge Oakhurst

Still tweaking a couple of the routes a little bit, two more trips and everything will be finalized!

On the down side - On the way up to Yosemite my Diesel truck started making noises, smoking under load..... Babied the truck to Fresno, found out I need new fuel injectors... (Chevy Duramax common problem, only 50k on the injectors!) and a good sized repair bill! Next week I get to go pick up my truck & bike!

We had a great time preparing the route and it looks like it's going to be a fun event!
      I hope as many as possible can attend!
      Gary Stark

Comment

The rivalry between H-D and Indian was over in 1953. H-D won.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That's it Chris! You went way too far this time. Our Indians still continue to keep kicking butt, despite lack of factory backing. Looks like you may have to perhaps get one of your heaps running now!
          We'll be busy prepping and shipping the '11 to the I.O.M. to celebrate Indians' sweeping 1,2,3 victory there 100 years ago. But I'm sure I'll have the time to spank your dragging butt in Yosemite before we head over. It well be tricky with the last minute timing of the I.O.M. journey & logistics.
          I'll let you pick my bike to match what ever wreck you may coax into action. I'll pack Regina on the back (she's real heavy), and we'll embarass you still the same. I'll post you a list of my weapons off line, and let YOU choose mine.
          The gauntlet (macasin) is throw down!
          Now we're having fun!
          RF.

Comment

Sounds like a challenge to me......... I don't know Chris it sounds like H-D's rep is resting on your shoulders.......
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Indian sponsored a bike in the recent Cannonball ride. The bike was at the Charlotte dealership a few weeks ago at their open house.
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                That's it Chris! You went way too far this time. Our Indians still continue to keep kicking butt, despite lack of factory backing. Looks like you may have to perhaps get one of your heaps running now!
                We'll be busy prepping and shipping the '11 to the I.O.M. to celebrate Indians' sweeping 1,2,3 victory there 100 years ago. But I'm sure I'll have the time to spank your dragging butt in Yosemite before we head over. It well be tricky with the last minute timing of the I.O.M. journey & logistics.
                I'll let you pick my bike to match what ever wreck you may coax into action. I'll pack Regina on the back (she's real heavy), and we'll embarass you still the same. I'll post you a list of my weapons off line, and let YOU choose mine.
                The gauntlet (macasin) is throw down!
                Now we're having fun!
                RF.
                Kinda reminds me of the story about Max Bubeck and Armando Magri. While on a run in the Sierra's Armando mentioned to Max that everytime he passed his H-D 36-61 on the Indian Four that it sounded like a Volkswagen. Max replied that when ya ride a Harley you are used to being passed by Volkswagen's.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Good luck on the planned lunch stop at the Hotel Jeffery. Last I heard it was closed, and I just called the number on their website http://www.hoteljefferygold.com
                  That number has been disconnected, and the last date I see on their website is from 2009. Too bad cuz it's a nice place to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Fins View Post
                    Good luck on the planned lunch stop at the Hotel Jeffery. Last I heard it was closed, and I just called the number on their website http://www.hoteljefferygold.com
                    That number has been disconnected, and the last date I see on their website is from 2009. Too bad cuz it's a nice place to stop.
                    This is what I found on their web site. "Due to the decline in the economy we will not be renting rooms all of Feb. and all of March. We are currently taking bookings for dates from April 1st and on, the thru the rest of the year, at which time our regular food service hours will once again resume, as will the Karaoke and the Celtic Jam.".
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Yes - The Hotel Jefferey is closed - We asked in town and found that the owners were foreclosed upon and in their revenge they totaled the inside of the hotel and removed all the antiques and character of the hotel, so it will be closed for some time as it will take someone serious $$$$ to get it back up to good condition.

But we did visit the Coulter Cafe just a block up the street and they are happy to serve our group lunch! The owner was very nice and accommodating, and suggested multiple lunch options with everything sounding very tasty!
                      They have a big patio that can accommodate our entire group. And we found out a big event will also be happening the same day of our visit in time, so it should be an exciting time in Coulterville!
                      We didn't try the food as we had already had lunch at Ducey's on the lake in Bass Lake. We rode over 300 miles in one day planning our routes. We used our modern bikes so we could easily cover the miles in one day, and had a great time riding! But looking forward to doing the routes on our Vintage Bikes soon!

Comment

Some more photo's of the route:

Our first day ride will be to Mammoth Pool - Where we will be stopping at the mile high lookout. From the lookout you can see all the various mounting ranges, including this one of Eagle Peak:

It was a little cloudy on our trip into Yosemite:

We picked a nice area for lunch, and the locals agree also:

It's hard to take a bad picture in Yosemite:

Comment

Time is flying by! We are now 180 days away from the start of "The Great Indian V Harley Race" 2011!

Keep those registrations coming in!

If you have any questions just ask or call - 951-656-1998

Gary Stark

Comment

Working...
                          X