• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Indian v Harley Race - Yosemite 2011

Announcing:

"The Greatest Race Ever is coming to California"
    The Great Indian v Harley Race
    Yosemite May 12-14th 2011

"Get out your boots, your jackets, and your gloves and get ready for the ride of your life"

"The fiercest battle in all motorcycledom arrives in Yosemite. Indian v Harley a battle for the ages"

All bikes entered must be pre 1958

What is "The Great Race?"

Here is a video I made of the 18th Harley v Indian Great Race that I attended in Corryong Australia this past January 2010:
    WATCH on YOUTUBE:

I had so much fun attending this annual rally that I asked the sponsors if I could bring this race to the United States!

I've got three days or riding planned around Yosemite, with a few checkpoints and time trials to see who will win!

Join us in May of 2011 for the time/ride of your life!

I am in the process of making a website with all the details,
    within the next 7-10 days it will be online.
    Mark your calenders for a great time!

If you have any questions I can be reached at: 951-968-3070 PST 8am-5pm

I am currently looking for corporate sponsors for the event.
    Gary Stark

Hi Gray,

Pictures of the Great Race in Corryong can be found on my website.

http://1944wl.webs.com/slideshows.htm

Click on the "Great Race 2010".

Look forward to seeing your website

Cheers
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by starklite View Post
      Announcing:

"The Greatest Race Ever is coming to California"
      The Great Indian v Harley Race
      Yosemite May 12-14th 2011

"Get out your boots, your jackets, and your gloves and get ready for the ride of your life"

"The fiercest battle in all motorcycledom arrives in Yosemite. Indian v Harley a battle for the ages"

All bikes entered must be pre 1958

What is "The Great Race?"

Here is a video I made of the 18th Harley v Indian Great Race that I attended in Corryong Australia this past January 2010:
      WATCH on YOUTUBE:

I had so much fun attending this annual rally that I asked the sponsors if I could bring this race to the United States!

I've got three days or riding planned around Yosemite, with a few checkpoints and time trials to see who will win!

Join us in May of 2011 for the time/ride of your life!

I am in the process of making a website with all the details,
      within the next 7-10 days it will be online.
      Mark your calenders for a great time!

If you have any questions I can be reached at: 951-968-3070 PST 8am-5pm

I am currently looking for corporate sponsors for the event.
      Gary Stark
      Sounds like fun, but those are the same dates as the Riding Into History deal in Florida.
      Buzz Kanter
      Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
      [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
      [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
        Sounds like fun, but those are the same dates as the Riding Into History deal in Florida.
        Geeze Buzz,
        That would be a hard decision. Whether to ride the flatlands of Florida or the Magnificent Yosemite Valley and Sierra Nevada Mountains. NOT!
        Here are a couple pictures I snapped of TX Flatlander David Jackson in Yosemite on Monday.

Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Gary, this sounds awesome. Keep us posted.

Comment

Buzz -
            It doesn't matter what weekend one picks anymore. There will be 10-15 other events for a individual to choose between.

But early to mid May in Yosemite is one of the prettiest times of the year. The waterfalls are flowing, the spring flowers are blooming, the crowds are not out yet, and the temperature is comfortable.....

So you pick a date and go for it!

The following weekend is usually the Hanfard swap meet, so we didn't want to interfere with it, and that is also armed forces day ..... and the list of conflicts would never end......

We have our Hotel holding 40 rooms, were signing conracts for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for the two main days of riding. This way the group can stay together and tell tales of the days ride..... Should be a great event!

Comment

Always conflicting events

Many great events are done on the same weekend of the same month, every year.

I know the dust is still settling on the Southern National, ( sorry I missed it , Louie } but is there any word on the date for the 2nd Annual event yet ?
              William McClean
              AMCA # 60

Comment

Originally posted by starklite View Post
                Buzz -
                It doesn't matter what weekend one picks anymore. There will be 10-15 other events for a individual to choose between.

But early to mid May in Yosemite is one of the prettiest times of the year. The waterfalls are flowing, the spring flowers are blooming, the crowds are not out yet, and the temperature is comfortable.....

So you pick a date and go for it!

The following weekend is usually the Hanfard swap meet, so we didn't want to interfere with it, and that is also armed forces day ..... and the list of conflicts would never end......

We have our Hotel holding 40 rooms, were signing conracts for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for the two main days of riding. This way the group can stay together and tell tales of the days ride..... Should be a great event!
                I know what you mean Gary. Just figured I'd let you konw ASAP...just in case. I'd love to do your ride but would have to choose between my beloved Indian and Harley motrocycles.
                Buzz Kanter
                Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

The truth is that Buzz knows if he ever came to Yosemite to ride he would never go home again.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The Great Race

For eighteen years Harley & Indian enthusiasts in Australia have been recreating the rivalry that was so much a part of motorcycling in the Twenties, Thirties, and Forties of the last century. In 2011 we are bringing that Rivalry home to America where the bikes were built! The Great Indian V Harley Race of 2011 will be based in Oakhurst California, right on the doorstep to Yosemite. We have planned rides through the California Gold Country, Yosemite, and the surrounding area.

During the ride we will have checkpoints, timed mileage sections and other challenges. At each checkpoint the rider will be earning points for his brand of motorcycle. At the end of our event we will gather for a banquet feast and crown the race victor and who will receive bragging rights for the next year, as the winner of the great race.

Join us for 3 fun days of riding and fun competition! May brings spring flowers, flowing waterfalls, and great weather to Yosemite. See you there!

Please note: Entries are limited to Indian & Harley Motorcycles 1965 & Earlier

Our website is now finished and available for browsing and more details at:

http://IndianVHarley.com

If you have any questions pleas give me a call: 951-656-1998

Our event sponsors:
                    Starklite Cycle, V-Twin Cycle, and Indian Motorcycle Club of America

Sincerely,
                    Gary Stark

Comment

I believe the Southern National will be that weekend, but I heard they moved the dates of the Riding into History show not to conflict with the Southern National for next year. Check into it Bill.
                      Chris, the term riding at that show is not mandatory. Some of then don't run.....
                      Louie
                      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Can someone tell us what the outcome has been those eighteen years? What team has won the most? The Australian event looks like a great time, can't we come up with something original?
                        Louie
                        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Harley v Indian

This could be a killer event, Gary! Haven't been up to Yosemite in 20 years; might be a good excuse to go!

Comment

After 18 years of the event running in Australia
                            Harley has 9 wins & Indian has 9 wins!
                            So it's an epic battle!

Comment

I am hoping to make this a very fun, interesting and unique event.

So far we have some great ideas for earning points on ride.

In the evening we have very interesting events planned:

On Friday night after riding through Yosemite, we have chartered buses to pick everyone up at the Main event hotel and transport us 15-20 Minutes from Oakhurst to Fish Camp.

At Fish Camp we will have a BBQ New York Steak Dinner, then we will board a Narrow Gauge Steam Train and travel into the woods, have a campfire, then back aboard the train and head back to the station.

Then the buses will transport us back to Oakhurst (We are using buses so those who like to consume alcohol will be safe!)

So this is just a part of what we are planning!

Please mark your calenders!

Comment

Working...
                              X