Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lining rich pockets?

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
    If you mean "make innuendoes" (meaning making a nod by way of explanation) when I travel a long way to an old bike event I expect to meet like-minded old bike enthusiasts. Chat and share experiences, go for a motorcycle ride.

I'm not interested to go to an event and being solicited by "percentage agents" for trendy auction houses, purveyors of cigars, booze, replica antiques, "artwork" and such-like. Also not interested in compulsory genuflection to "restoration gurus", "great motorcycle racers of the past", or so-called rich people whose only aim in life seems to be making money while "putting one over" on somebody else.

And certainly not while the USA was (and is) fighting foreign wars and an internal crisis which will take everybody rolling up their sleeves and helping one another - before it is all over. Some of us are OK these days, many are not. It's time to put out a helping hand.

I am happy to get out a 70 year old bike and, for example, ride for good charitable causes, or ride to save oil and for other reasons (maybe just cause I like to ride). But I'm not interested to ride or participate in something which just goes to exploit old-time riders like me and attempt to further line the pockets of the already well-to-do. Some of whom surely made their original fortunes in ways which have brought nothing but chaos to the world economy.

AFJ
    Most of big Concours shows are for charities. The Legend Of the Motorcycle Concours was no exception. Up to 3 Charities were benefited each show. This took the support of the sponsors of the event. Usually these were big, well-to-do companies that could offer the generousity; Harley Davidson, Ducati, AGV, Land Rover, Triumph, Aston Martin, Armani, Hennessy, Moet & Chandon, just to name a few. These sponsors were allowed booths at the venue. That is where you received your free drinks & cigars. (I kept hanging out at the Aston Martin booth, but missed any give-aways).
    This event offered the who's who of motorcyclings full spectrum, along with the machines they rode. Never before have we seen the Bathing suit Vincent (running and driving), the Ack Attack LSR record holder, 1800's coal fired machines, TZ 750s, The 1st Crocker, and the people associated with them in one great place.
    Yes, it was over the top, awesome, amazing, and probably never to be repeated. But don't believe that any rich got richer because of it. The next event was to feature Indian, and I was called to help organize the display and array. I've been a past participant, and judge of this event, and can personally tell you that most everything is volunteered and self paid for. The event co-ordinators are regular people like you and I. They just wanted to produce a remarkable show. I feel that they did.
    Sorry if you didn't have a good time.
    RF.

Comment

Buzz,

I agree whole heartedly.

Riding Into History show is a Great event and I too have supoported them from its inception. Even when they held it on the same weekend as our meet in Eustis. Several owners and machines were able to make both events that weekend. Thankfully, the date was changed in subsequent years to eliminate the conflict.

Great people, a high quality show of Motorcycles along a shady walk around the lake at the World Golf Village, a great charity, a couple of rides, banquet with interesting speakers, music and dance, silent auction, and some Wonderfull original motorcycle themed artwork each year.

Their crew does a great job !
      William McClean
      AMCA # 60

Comment

Working...
      X