Retirement of the Legend of the Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement of the Legend of the Motorcycle

I just got word that Jared Zaugg had ended his string of Legend Concours shows. The Legend of the Motorcycle has boosted motorcycles to a new level of acceptance, and sparked their appreciation to all eyes. It with great sadness that I pass this info on.
    True, now the Pebble Beach Concours features vintage motorcycles, and so does Quail Lodge, but the true pioneer of such events, the one that put our bikes on the map in this realm, is gone.
    RF.

This is sad news. He certainly was a young man with with alot of insight and energy. RF, do you know what happened? -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

I have a slightly different take on this and I am sure a few others do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
        I have a slightly different take on this and I am sure a few others do as well.
        My sentiments would, without doubt, be in a similar vein. I was asked to enter a bike and declined that questionable honor - for several reasons.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
          My sentiments would, without doubt, be in a similar vein. I was asked to enter a bike and declined that questionable honor - for several reasons.

AFJ
          So what are they? Why make inuindos? Be a man and speak your mind, not drop vague hints.

Comment

I would have thought it quite obvious to anyone who has been in the hobby that events of this nature are an attempt at gentrifying the hobby to attract investors and unscrupulous auction houses and all that goes with those activiites. In this respect it was successfull as the price of Crockers went through the roof following their deification. Now every banker, stock broker, and inventor of board games wants a piece of the action. The thin veneer of gentility can not for me cover the sleeze that lurks beneath . Activiites such as this turn my stomach. One of the "masters of ceremonies " now has an overpriced Crocker hidden away with many Broughs that have never been seen as they are purely investments. The pattern for this mayhem was set by the car hobby.
            As far as motorcycles being art, forget it, that is another red herring. The Guggenheim exhibit was another way of commodifying our bikes into investments. Motorcycles are NOT art.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
              True, now the Pebble Beach Concours features vintage motorcycles, and so does Quail Lodge, but the true pioneer of such events, the one that put our bikes on the map in this realm, is gone.
              RF.
              Actually, the Quail Lodge event will not be repeated. Last month the lodge announced that they were closing the hotel facilities and would become only a golf course.

It's also the case that the Pebble Beach Councours is held at a hotel that is essentially not accessible to motorcyclists, as it is surrounded by 17 Mile Dr., where motorcyclists are not permitted to ride.
              Last edited by darrylri; 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM.
              --Darryl Richman
              Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
              http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

Originally posted by darrylri View Post
                Actually, the Quail Lodge event will not be repeated. Last month the lodge announced that they were closing the hotel facilities and would become only a golf course.

It's also the case that the Pebble Beach Councours is held at a hotel that is essentially not accessible to motorcyclists, as it is surrounded by 17 Mile Dr., where motorcyclists are not permitted to ride.
                I rest my case

Comment

There is a Concours de' Elegance held on the East coast where the promoters have occasionaly aproached me to help beat the drum, stirring up some select motorcyles to be included. A Hefty fee is charged for admission to the event. Crowds are shuttled in, a person cannot opperate their own vehicles during this event. This event is held on private property where the roads were built by the resort, Restricted ground where motorcycles are not allowed to opperate at any time. The Stop signs are green to help mark the distinction between Public roads and the Private roads.

When I have been approached to help I respond " Cool ! Let's hop On The Bikes and take a ride up there to check out the grounds and see where you want us, check out the facilities, get the lay of the land. " Of course, we can't.

I cannot support this Concours de' Arrogance and wish our club members would not perpetuate this elitism, by putting their motorcycles in this show. If motorcycles and those who operate them are not good enough for this snobbish lot, how dare they ask for our support 1 day a year ? AND charge for it, with the money going to the already wealthy.

Is is kind of fun to ride past the green stop signs to see how long it takes the security guard in his golf cart to chase me away .
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

Concours 'de Arrogance....... that is priceless William...... I have to agree with Barry's sentiments. Our hobby used to be that of the common man and now it's moved toward the high falutin'. Time has ticked on and it's to late to do anything about it now, hence my still long wish list and not enough acquisitions to keep up...
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Some years back my wife and I were traveling on our bikes down the California coast. One of the places we thought would be nice along the coast was the Pebble Beach area. When we arrived at the gate we were told no entry, no exceptions. It was the only bad point of an otherwise great trip. When I saw that there was to be a motorcycle addition to the show I vowed to boycott it in any and every way I could. I would cheer if they fell off into the ocean! And I agree, "Concourse d' Arrogance" is very fitting!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There are plenty of good people enjoying and sharing some wonderful classic motorcycles at events other than the excellent AMCA events.

I am proud to be associated with the Ride Into History event in Florida every year. It is all about the motorcycles and they attract a large and growing field of great bikes. Worth checking out.

Another one I am associated with is the Fairfield County Concours d'Elegance in Connecticut. Mostly cars, but a large and growing number of great old motorcycles too.
                        Buzz Kanter
                        Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                        [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                        [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I truely believe those type of events have done alot to wreck our hobby and turned it into a rich mans game. Alot of us are poorer for it. at the last swap meet I went to. There were speedo's there like I need, they were priced more than I paid for all but one of my Indians. How is that good for anything? except folks trying to make a killing. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but the hobby has changed alot. If you make less than average pay, your pretty much out of the game today. I think its kind of sad, thats all. Iam grateful for what I got and am glad I got into it when I did. Or I probably would not have any old machines today.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                            So what are they? Why make inuindos? Be a man and speak your mind, not drop vague hints.
                            If you mean "make innuendoes" (meaning making a nod by way of explanation) when I travel a long way to an old bike event I expect to meet like-minded old bike enthusiasts. Chat and share experiences, go for a motorcycle ride.

I'm not interested to go to an event and being solicited by "percentage agents" for trendy auction houses, purveyors of cigars, booze, replica antiques, "artwork" and such-like. Also not interested in compulsory genuflection to "restoration gurus", "great motorcycle racers of the past", or so-called rich people whose only aim in life seems to be making money while "putting one over" on somebody else.

And certainly not while the USA was (and is) fighting foreign wars and an internal crisis which will take everybody rolling up their sleeves and helping one another - before it is all over. Some of us are OK these days, many are not. It's time to put out a helping hand.

I am happy to get out a 70 year old bike and, for example, ride for good charitable causes, or ride to save oil and for other reasons (maybe just cause I like to ride). But I'm not interested to ride or participate in something which just goes to exploit old-time riders like me and attempt to further line the pockets of the already well-to-do. Some of whom surely made their original fortunes in ways which have brought nothing but chaos to the world economy.

AFJ

Comment

Right on AFJ !
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X