Comment

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

It Lives!!

Well......after getting it through my thick HD head that the right hand control is for the spark control........the 741 finally started.
          A bit smokey had to bring it out of the garage to continue, clutch seems to need a little adjusting when replacing the head gaskets the cylinders looked in great shape the pistons are .20 over very little carbon on them valves also looked to be in great shape to but the heads seemed to have a good amount of carbon build up on them this makes me think that they may not be the original ones or were just slapped back on the bike the way they were I cleaned the carbon off the heads along with bead blasting the outside to remove the mud wasp nest that was encamped between the fins.......and painted over!!
          I can only think that the gal that owned this bike that my friend bought it from must have been puffing quite heavly on them left hand cigarettes
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Great news to hear you got the ol' girl running Chuck! It's funny how a person can find some really head scratching scenarios when diving into an old machine that somebody has puttered around with. Your analogy on the left-handed cigarettes must be true in some instances. The stuff people do and try to cover up blows my mind! One thing I've discovered over the years is never take anything for granted. What you would do in a fix it situation and what somebody else would do aren't always the same things!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Way to go Chuck, glad to hear it. It's a neat fealing is'nt it? , firing her up for the first time. Check your oil pump return, just look down with the oil cap at an angle, make sure you see oil returning to the tank. Scouts are known to wet sump fairly often, especially if not ridden in a while. They will really blow smoke then! chief's do it to, My Scout used to do it fairly regular, but has not in years now. Us Indian riders just call it mosquito control tactic's :-) Also just so you know, your Harley leaks oil, your Indian does not, its just marking it's spot.:-)
              I was running down the road one time and my oil cap came off, man was my return line pumping. By the time I got pulled over, I had oil all over me. Much luck with your 741 !

Comment

Congrats on getting the bike running, Chuck! Hope you can get it out on the road soon (and safely). Check everything twice. Hopefully the previous owner didnt just throw things together before the sale. I took off on my Moto Guzzi once, after being in MY OWN shop all winter, anxious to get on the road. Forgot to tighten the rear axle nut. Talk about an eye opener on the corners. I was really kicking myself for that stunt. Let me know if you need any pics for assembly or reference as my 741 is mostly original and running good. I would be glad to help another Scout get on the road.
                Scott Larson
                AMCA #13589
                Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                1971 HD FLH
                1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
                1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                  Way to go Chuck, glad to hear it. It's a neat fealing is'nt it? , firing her up for the first time. Check your oil pump return, just look down with the oil cap at an angle, make sure you see oil returning to the tank. Scouts are known to wet sump fairly often, especially if not ridden in a while. They will really blow smoke then! chief's do it to, My Scout used to do it fairly regular, but has not in years now. Us Indian riders just call it mosquito control tactic's :-) Also just so you know, your Harley leaks oil, your Indian does not, its just marking it's spot.:-)
                  I was running down the road one time and my oil cap came off, man was my return line pumping. By the time I got pulled over, I had oil all over me. Much luck with your 741 !

Thanks Tom,

That may be the reason for the cloud of smoke in my garage like I said I had to push her out of the garage it got pretty thick there for a while and I needed to get in some air quick it kinda had me worried for a while but running it again yesterday firing up on the 5th kick.
                  I still gotta work on that left hand throttle thing
                  Pretty much all my bikes mark their spot.........even the 01 roadglide is starting to leave a tiny drop behind but being 8 years old and close to 67500 on the clock hauling a sidecar all tyhat way I can't really complain.
                  I do have a Question maybe somebody could answer for me,we have some guys at the firehall that belong to two vol. fire companys they are refered as cross dressers
                  .......so...my question is being always a hd guy and now having my first Indian motorcycle, what would this make me? the wife when I asked her that question just shook her head..........
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
                    Congrats on getting the bike running, Chuck! Hope you can get it out on the road soon (and safely). Check everything twice. Hopefully the previous owner didnt just throw things together before the sale. I took off on my Moto Guzzi once, after being in MY OWN shop all winter, anxious to get on the road. Forgot to tighten the rear axle nut. Talk about an eye opener on the corners. I was really kicking myself for that stunt. Let me know if you need any pics for assembly or reference as my 741 is mostly original and running good. I would be glad to help another Scout get on the road.

Thanks Scott,

I need to do a little research on the clutch system I tried to put her in gear but it would start to grind the gears ,not sure if the clutches are sticking but thats my next move.

when I get a chance I will get my self down to the dmv to register it this week don't look to good for that though.

There's some other things that I want to take asecond look at on this bike anyway thanks for the offer of the pics cause Im sure you will be hearing from me you take your 741 out this weekend?
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                      I do have a Question maybe somebody could answer for me,we have some guys at the firehall that belong to two vol. fire companys they are refered as cross dressers
                      .......so...my question is being always a hd guy and now having my first Indian motorcycle, what would this make me? the wife when I asked her that question just shook her head..........
                      I've been in the same position Chuck.......only in the opposite direction. When Harley's became so darn popular in the 90's I denounced them and focused on Indians. Why? Well I guess I just gotta be different... A couple years ago I got bit by the Harley bug again and wondered what my diehard Indian friends would think when I picked up my 45. One friend has a stable full of Indians and is very frank about his opinion on the "other" brand. He even has a Knucklehead at home that he doesn't ride because "what would people think"? Anyway I bought the little Harley flathead and braced myself for a good sound ribbing. Well I was almost disappointed when nobody said anything at all! Another old bike on the road is a good thing..... it doesn't matter what it is.......

P.S......... your wife shakes her head at your musings too? My wife has gotten pretty used to my ramblings but every once in awhile I can tell she thinks I'm nuts.......
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Chuck, My 741 smoked alot the first time it started after sitting for a few years. It seemed after the exhaust got warmed up and all the old crud inside burned off it stopped smoking. It might grind a bit going into first but try retarding the spark a bit to slow the motor and maybe double clutching the pedal before moving the shifter on initial take off. Then check your temperature you might have a case of that Indian fever ! Have alot of fun, Scott

Comment

Another thing worth mentioning..... Ross brought this up awhile back. Roll the bike back a little bit before shifting into gear. I tried it with my 45 and it works like a charm....
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the tips

thanks Scott and Cory,

I will keep those things in mind.
                            don't look good for taking a spin out back this week suppose to have heavy rain and some strong winds through till wednesday evening.
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thankyou Tommo,

I received the manual today when I got home from work it will come in handy especially in the next few weeks I want to check a few things like the oil pump screen and the clutch system to start.

I wasn't planning on doing anything with it today but well.......couldn't resist but had to head out to the garage it started 3rd kick (beginning to get the hang of the left hand/right hand advance/throttle thing ,for starting it......I think.

Rolled it out of the garage in to the rain and after stalling it a few times i believe I may have started off in 2nd gear took it around the house up the drive to the garage and.......well backed off of the wrong control.

Scott what was that you were saying about Indian fever?
                              Chuck
                              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Ohhhh..... looks like yer hooked Chuck..
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X