741 repair manual for a 1942

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 741 repair manual for a 1942

How much of a change is there in the repair books for the militairy 741?
    They seem to go by groups of serial numbers I have found one for 1943 it's a reprint is it that critical mine being a 1942 I would think it would work fine for the motor and transmition but before I spend the $35 bucks.........I would like to be sure.
    Any suggestions?
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

I wouldn't think there would be any problem with a '43 manual. If anything it may have some updated information. But I'm not 100% sure on that. I would also recommend Modern Motorcycle Mechanics by Bernie Nicholson. There were 7 editions printed. I have the 4th edition from 1953 that has a fair bit of info. Is there anything you need to know right now that I may be able to help you with Chuck?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Well I was planning on replacing the primary cover gasket and the head gaskets.

The front head gasket looks like it may have leaked a bit and there is no dought that the primary gasket is I had to slide the old "oil catching tray" under it and I would need the torq specs for those items mainly the head gasket specs.
      If you have that info on hand I would appreciate it Cory.

Thanks,
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Your head bolts should be buttoned down to 50-55 foot pounds. As for the primary....have a screwdriver handy and turn the clutch worm clockwise as you try to pull the cover off. It'll come off easier that way........ You'll notice that some bolts on the primary have nuts and washers behind the inner primary. These should be fine thread and the bolts that point directly for the engine and tranny cases should be coarse. I don't believe there is any particular torque specs on the primary. Not that I'm aware of anyway.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thank You Cory!!!

Greatly appreciated Cory, Thank you!

I pulled the heads off last night quite easily I might add as I suspected the front was leaking and the rear head seemed to be leaking a little also.

I am guessing, but I think when the top end was re-assembled they never bothered to chase the threads on the head bolts and also in the threaded holes in the cylinders, some of the bolts took very little effort to remove.

The pistons look to be pretty new at .20 over very little carbon build up in the cylinders cleaned up what was there so I hope to have the heads buttoned down tonight.
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hey Chuck, Have you seen this manual in the library...Gotta love the price ! http://www.vintagemotorcyclelibrary....6b07d918b96f90

Comment

Thanks Scott,

Yes I looked through it last week end and ordered one from another place along with a parts book with shipping got both of them for $36.

Now this week the books there are free........well at some point....Story of my life .
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                Story of my life .
                Sounds like we have similar luck...... Have you fired the injun up yet?
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Chuck,
                  I have an original 741 Maintenance Manual thats a bit tatty but pay the postage and it's yours.
                  E-mail me your address to p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    Sounds like we have similar luck...... Have you fired the injun up yet?

Not yet Cory,

I was working on it tonight, the heads are buttoned down I reworked the gas line,fixed the brackets on the left tank that broke off and I am in the process of re-building the oil lines they spliced the lines with hose in between the metal connections and about 50,000 clamps to keep the hoses on

I need a 6V battery oil I am guessing 50 wt and some gas then prime,ignition.......kick
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                      Chuck,
                      I have an original 741 Maintenance Manual thats a bit tatty but pay the postage and it's yours.
                      E-mail me your address to p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz

Thankyou Tommo it is greatly appreciated
                      Chuck
                      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                        Not yet Cory,

I was working on it tonight, the heads are buttoned down I reworked the gas line,fixed the brackets on the left tank that broke off and I am in the process of re-building the oil lines they spliced the lines with hose in between the metal connections and about 50,000 clamps to keep the hoses on

I need a 6V battery oil I am guessing 50 wt and some gas then prime,ignition.......kick
                        50 wt should work just fine.....

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory,

Never thought any different but I would have used 50 wt in the primary to
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Better late than never as I think a couple of you new 741 owners have had questions...

There's a mix of everything but if you sift through it there's info for your 30.50's

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X