Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do in Florida? (antique motorcycles, history, museums, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
    You could go visit the chopper builder and murderer Billy Lane at the State Penn. He killed a biker with his truck while driving drunk. It was his second DUI in a month. Now he gets only 6 years in the slammer and the other guy is dead. And to think some people actually think this guy is still cool. On second thought, let him rot.

Florida is very cool. I love the beaches, especially on the gulf side.

No crap! I could have sworn I heard something about Lane being locked up. How horribly ironic,... drunk "biker", kills, "biker" with a truck!

Completely Pathetic!

I think we'll be heading to the Gulf, St. Petersburg area as the keys are to much cash to get to for us right now.
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by William McClean View Post
      There is not a Huge amount of Motor Head \ Industrial Age bits laying around Florida. Before Air Conditioning this area was not heavily populated. We don't find many JD's overgrown with palmettos leaning up agaist the side of the barn.

Thomas Edison's Winter home, Labratory { Chemical to one side, Physical Lab on the other side } and and botanical garder in Ft. Meyers. Henry Ford and others hung out with Edison there.

History, there is plenty of. St. Augustine can be a bit touristy no doubt, but it is chock full of history. Henry Flagler and his trains ran down the east coast and to the keys.

In St. Augustine at Nombre de Dios, .5 mile North of the fortress Castillo de San Marco, the old cemetary { access thru the church gift shop, see the coffin cover of the 1st Spanish govenor who mysteriously died at age 45, aboard ship in the harbor of his home town in Spain on his return home. } is an interesting study. This is where Christianity made a first landing { and stayed } in what is now the United States. The first time the sounds of steel striking wood rang thru this stand of trees on the beach, in the cause of building an alter. This was done before a fire was kindled for breakfast. Stone Age meets the Age of Exploration. In the cemetary is located a shrine, the worlds' only one to the breast feeding Madona de Leche'. There can also be found the final resting places of Nuns, Consorts and Concubines all very close together.

The Colonial Wars are a major part of the recorder history of this area. The War of Jenkins Ear was a particularly gruesome conflict along the Florida- Georgia border and waters off shore. Some say it wasn't the ear that was servered and returned to England but another body part. There were a couple other episodes of mutilation in this conflict between European colonial powers.

Bon Voyage'
      Hey, very cool! You fellows love history as much as I! Wonderful!
      Thanks for the heads up on that bit of history and the area. Might hit that up when we're in the Daytona area,.. just head north and so on for a spell.
      "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Fl trip

Originally posted by 1776J View Post
        Hmmm,... why do I think after seeing more than one my wife (though she loves wrenching with me),...would kill me!...
        Why not hit a H-D dealership and rent a Dresser. Nothing to do ??? RIDE......
        My wife and I went on a rode trip (in a auto) a couple of years ago just to get away. We ended up in Myrtle Beach. 2 days of checking out the beach & shops(we're both sober so no bar scene). Went and rented a new FLHTC (wasn't like the Pan) rode it everywhere we went while there. Got cold we headed back home (FL). Worked for us. ****, they probobly give you a good rate seeing how it's of season. My nickles worth.....
        Gary
        THUMPERS Inc.
        Classic Harley Davidson Motorcycles
        Speed-Custom-Resto
        386-960-5736

Comment

Well, got back yesterday...

What a blast!!

Went to St, Augustine, Tarpon Springs, Sea World, (via father in law, hey it was FREE for me!!), St. Petersburg, bet on the grey hounds at Derby Lanes, etc. visited some really cool old places, really awesome!

Gonna figure on taking the old bike down maybe next summer and riding it around. Very cool.

Thanks for all the cool suggestions they helped out!

Comment

Originally posted by William McClean View Post
            There is not a Huge amount of Motor Head \ Industrial Age bits laying around Florida. Before Air Conditioning this area was not heavily populated. We don't find many JD's overgrown with palmettos leaning up agaist the side of the barn.
            I guess you have never been to Bruce's garage.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Derby Lanes what a place did you win ??? As a young man one year I was there with my then "to be wife " visiting my folks who lived in Gulfport, a retired taxicab driver from NewYork and his wife sat behind us and commented on OUR Maine accent,we all had a good laugh,a few races later he gave us a tip,we walked out of there 3750 richer!! I tried to give him a Cnote he said no way and then disappeared in thinair with his wife,for a young man on a THIN budget that was heaven sent,Ive never been back to Derby but Ill never forget that nite !!

Comment

there's a lot of really cool stuff in bruce's garage. one off rare stuff. the best thing of all-----bruce

Comment

I don't invite people to another person's garage. That invitation would be up to Bruce wouldn't it ?
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

It wasn't an invitation.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                    X