Orient / Orient Aster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orient / Orient Aster

I would like to network with others that have 1899-1904 Orient motorcycles. I am going to be making some parts, but don't want to if somebody else has already done so. I would also like to find out how to differentiate between years based on serial numbers, especially the Aster motors.
    thanks,
    oldmtrcyc@msn.com

Mike Parti has an Orient.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      Mike Parti has an Orient.
      Thank you. I looked at Mike's bike several years ago. I think someone made the frame at some point, as it is the only Orient that I have ever seen with the motor mounted completely vertical instead of tilted slightly forward at the top. It is still a neat piece, though.

Comment

I believe Pete Gagan has or at least had one. I'm pretty sure I saw one with his name on it at a show a year or two ago.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          I believe Pete Gagan has or at least had one. I'm pretty sure I saw one with his name on it at a show a year or two ago.
          Thanks Cory. I have photos of Pete's when it was being built. Motor is real, everything else is repro. They did a very nice job on it.

Comment

Gagen's Orient

Here are some pix of Pete's bike when being built. His has the De Dion motor in it, which you could buy a frame and parts from Orient and put your own motor in it, but Orient never produced a complete bike with the De Dion motor, at least according to my research. The first complete Orient's had the Aster motor until 1901, then Orient started producing their own motor. The Aster motor has bronze cases with wafered copper fins on the cylinder. The other thing odd about the Aster motor is that it splits horizontally. The Orient motor retained the copper fins, but went to an aluminum crank case.

Comment

Oops, here are the pix of Gagen's bike
              Attached Files

Comment

That guy that builds Gagan's repops is a genius.

Comment

Woody Carson

I believe Woody Carson also had an Orient he restored while in Europe in the 50's or 60's. I believe there was an article on it in the National magazine.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

DeDions

There is a picture of an two wheeled Orient in a late 1899 Scientific American with a DeDion engine, so that was the excuse I needed for mine. DeDions were used in the Orient trikes, and also the Hedstrom Henshaw pacer that was built by Oscar Hedstrom in 1899 while he was working for Waltham Manufacturing, the Orient' builders. My French sources tell me the Aster was only available in one size, 500ccs. Orients were offered in 250cc and 350cc sizes as well, so it is probable the smaller versions were DeDions. Mine is a 250 DeDion and dates from 1899, so is a feasible concept. Some original pieces of the frame were attached.
                    History is, I think, accurately served, but who knows?
                    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                      I would like to network with others that have 1899-1904 Orient motorcycles. I am going to be making some parts, but don't want to if somebody else has already done so. I would also like to find out how to differentiate between years based on serial numbers, especially the Aster motors.
                      thanks,
                      oldmtrcyc@msn.com
                      I always thought that there was only one REAL Orient that is known to remain, If this is so how would you go about getting the proper measurments to produce the parts?
                      The only reason I ask is that I watched a member who has an original Orient Carb that he made repops of & he had to measure all the parts to it to make the forms for the casting.
                      he had explained to me about the shrinkage of the castings so the measure is very crucial to making exact duplicates of the parts. Since the percentage of shrinkage must be compisated for in the mold blank construction.
                      I must say the Orient Carbs he made are absolutly beautiful, & all his repro parts are completly interchangeable with the Original. I was amazed at the amount of time to make the mold blanks, castings & all the machining involved seems like a lot of work for a limited # of machines. Just wondering how it would be done if the proper & exact parts can't be measured or are not available

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
                        I always thought that there was only one REAL Orient that is known to remain,
                        I know of at least 4 complete bikes here in the states, and I have heard of one in the Netherlands. There are some partial bikes out there that could use some parts, and several loose motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gagan View Post
                          History is, I think, accurately served, but who knows?
                          Pete
                          A nice replica. A few things that jump out that are not correct is the front fork casting at the crown, front frame casting (he butted the tubes because he didn't have the castings), and the rear seat stay where the frame goes around the belt. On the original bikes, it was rather squared off instead of gradually sloped like a harley belt drive. Wrong seat (though period correct). I am not picking it apart other than hopefully nobody will copy this bike and then later on there is a debate about what is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                            I know of at least 4 complete bikes here in the states, and I have heard of one in the Netherlands. There are some partial bikes out there that could use some parts, and several loose motors.
                            Wow thats more than I was aware of, Will you be taking the measurments from them?

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
                              Wow thats more than I was aware of, Will you be taking the measurments from them?
                              Yes, I will.

Comment

Working...
                              X